English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 October 2015, 14:04   #41
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
brilliant game! and i worked out how to hack the saved game files to give you loads of money... it's one game where cheating didn't take away the fun. actually it didn't even make it easy to win.
Yup, great game.
I didn't know about the cheat, and I have succeed to finish it with easy race. Don't have much time to play it, but will do in the near future, I hope.

There was a PC remake/clon of K240, and it's name is: Fragile Allegiance
However, I never succeeded making it work on my PC (both laptop and desk).
Old 23 October 2015, 19:09   #42
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Yup, great game.
I didn't know about the cheat, and I have succeed to finish it with easy race. Don't have much time to play it, but will do in the near future, I hope.
Yes, i could finish it on the easiest couple of levels, it gets hard really quickly though with the more advanced enemies.

The amount of money you have is simply a longword in the save game file, at a particular position. So if you can find where it is (just write down how much money you had and then look for that number), you can just edit the file in a hex editor and give yourself as much money as you like (or write an AMOS program like i did). It isn't obfuscated or validated at all.
Old 23 October 2015, 19:43   #43
supaduper

Same as Mrs beanbag, I love Galaga and the prince of Persia , I revisit them frequently
Old 23 October 2015, 21:04   #44
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
the original Sim City, surprisingly
I agree with you entirely. I've played other Sim City games but to me they are all seems a little overwhelming purely because I simply don't have hours to put aside for complex intense games. Either that or I'm getting old heh heh.

Other than that, another I keep returning to is most of the 21st Century Ltd Pinball games. I've tried and played several others over the years on different formats including Pinball FX2. Admittedly Pinball FX2 is great but tables can be "too busy" - i.e.the speed and table colours can make tracking the ball(s) difficult (if that makes sense?). But there's just something about Dreams, Fantasies, Illusions and Slam Tilt that keeps me coming back for more. That's it: the nostalgia, feeling and wonder of awe of my Amiga days (now all emulation).
Old 23 October 2015, 21:25   #45
s2325
Zone Friend

If you like Pinball Dreams and Fantasies try Pinball 4000 for PC (DOS) which is very close to Amiga games.
Old 23 October 2015, 22:39   #46
lolafg

Goal! , Kick off 2 , Great courts 2 , Toyota Celica , Emlyn Hugues , all remember me a lot of fun with my younger brother who seems to be made for winning in video games....
Old 23 October 2015, 22:59   #47
jotd
This cat is no more

On amiga:

Cadaver (all levels): unique atmosphere in it, clever puzzles, underrated, ultra hard (had to check the walkthrough almost all the time!)
Supercars 2: hilarious with weapons, specially in 2-player mode
Gods: because it's the greatest game ever All secret stuff, and great visuals & sfx & level design, emeny A.I.
Z-Out: great R-Type clone, hard but 4 first levels are doable.
Chaos Engine: Fast, cool music & visuals, smart level design & game play (well, I just defined the Bitmap Brothers)

PC:

Qwak (the HD remade version): addictive, great sound and graphics, 70 levels, clever lever design.

Arcade:

Gyruss: original, you never get stuck in corners
Galaga/Galaxian/PacMan: classics, perfect for a casual game or two
Green Beret: excellent design, fair, not too hard, well, the 4 first levels at least.
Ghost&Goblins: the zombies, the music, the beard & underwear, the red devils, and the "tap the joystick" rapid fire. A pity that last levels are just too hard/unfair.
Pang: very original, needs strategy to beat, great fun for 1 or 2 players. with some training, you can beat the game with 1 credit.
Bad Dudes / Dragonninja: a lot of moves, fast, not that hard, with some training & luck with energy bonuses, you can beat the game with 1 credit.
Outrun: just great music & scrolling. Can only win with easiest settings and a given combination of routes, though.
Shinobi: hard but fair. Great visuals and cool sabre blow!
Bombjack: character moves are hard to master, it's very hard, but collecting the bombs in the correct order is rewarding.

Most of those 2 player games I played with a friend, and we both became rather good at it, and I have fond memories of all those games on Amiga till 4am or arcade till ... out of change.

Last edited by jotd; 23 October 2015 at 23:06.
Old 23 October 2015, 23:40   #48
rsn8887

Games I keep playing, mostly via emulation on Nvidia Shield Portable or on my netbook:
Chaos Engine OCS - The graphics are just so perfect
Ugh! - I love Space Taxi and this is an interesting clone, but it is hard.
Dreamweb AGA - I have played through this adventure four times and still cannot get enough of it's Blade Runner mood.
Slamtilt AGA - perfect 2D pinball, graphics and sound are also fabulous.
Extase - I just love the music so much
Gods - graphics are the best on Amiga, and the level design, there is so much to find out and discover even after playing a world for the twentieth time.
Swiv - sound fx are the best of any shmup, gameplay as the jeep is also fun.
Kult - the craziest adventure ever, I have no clue how to finish it, but I keep making some perceived progress every time before I die.
Super Cars 2 - classic car racing and perfect music
Crazy Cars III - the better Lotus with more long time playability.
Turrican 2 - the perfect Amiga game, especially because of the music.

Multiplayer PD games we play with friends:
SpaceTaxi 3 - best multiplayer game period.
Achtung Die Kurve - second best multiplayer game.
Masterblaster - third best multiplayer game.
Old 23 October 2015, 23:49   #49
Paul_s

Cannon Fodder - fun, difficulty just right, rewarding.

F-19 - Depth of gameplay

Lotus 2 - best of the bunch and lovely to play

Pinball Dreams - for the music mainly and great ball physics

Yo! Joe! - one of the best platformers - the graphics are second to none with great attention to detail - nice sound track too.

Soccer Kid/Arabian Night - pretty much share the same game engine and quite addictive gameplay - still feels fresh all these years later compared to lot of platformers from back in the day.

Wiz n' Liz - fasssst and lots of fun!

Supercars - addictive and fun to play.
Old 24 October 2015, 00:47   #50
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

These days I define myself as a retrogamer, meaning that I draw much more pleasure from old games rather than new ones. I can still appreciate the modern affairs (especially racing sims - my preferred genre, with games like "GT Legends", "GTR2" or "Assetto Corsa" - and I have taken some joy out of "Assassin's Creed Rogue" or "GTA V" as well) but my heart lies with the oldies.

The reason is mostly nostalgia. But I can't stop feeling that I'm sort-of formatted to old-school gaming and that the modern "over-complex" gameplay seems too overwhelming - cognitively speaking - to be of any real fun. This is, obviously, a personal issue, 'cos the young ones float and prosper on those games and they shun on the golden oldies as if they were trivial and oversimplistic.

I had a few systems in my life, ranging from computers to consoles, and there are games that keep me coming back for more in every system I own(ed). But to keep my list as short as possible, I'll only state the ones that I keep coming back to on the Amiga (which, unsurprisingly, is the machine that has more games that I love). So the games that keep me coming back more often are (in no particular order):

Skidmarks - Why? 'Cos it's highly playable, instinctive and offers primary fun. It's also great in multiplayer.

B.C. Kid - Why? Because it's fluid, pretty and well designed. It has a very well balanced difficulty curve and it's fair. It's excellent if you just want a relaxing platformer to boot. Uses the second button to jump.

Dyna Blaster - Why? Because it's great fun in either one player mode or battle mode. Because it's graphically refined and the characters are cute. It's also a good stress reliever.

Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 - Why? 'Cos it's fast, frantic and hectic! It's the closest thing we have to the arcade version of Out-Run on the Amiga. It's the ultimate stress reliever.

Nitro - Why? Well... it's fairly easy to see that I'm a sort of a petrolhead, isn't it? I love cars ever since I was a tiny wee lad, so it's only natural that my gaming tastes reflect that. Nitro is a very well thought out and well put-together overhead racing game that has attracted me ever since I first played back in the 20th century.

North & South - Les Tuniques Bleues - Why? Because it's a perfect combination of arcade and strategy with platform sections to boot, has a tongue-in-cheek feel to it all that I love and it's top'o'fun in two player mode.

Pang! - Why? 'Cos it's almost a carbon-copy of the Arcade, going as far as having better music. And on top of that, the game is extremely fun in a very nipponic sort of way, being it both in single or simultaneous multiplayer.

Rod-Land - Why? 'Cos it's more addictive than heroin. The extremely well-balanced gameplay simply "makes sense". It's instantaneously playable and, on top of that, the graphics are so cute and sweet that I swear you'll get diabetes.

The Chaos Engine - Why? Because it's so freaking awesome in every possible way. Gorgeous setting, great aesthetics (including graphics), awesome sound, amazing playability (including CPU co-op or multiplayer), etc...

Toki Why? Because it's very well ported. It's almost a perfect conversion with some aspects even better than the arcade (especially the music which is, by far, MUCH better on the Amiga than on the original arcade). Nostalgia plays a huge role on this one, since this was my favourite platform game for a very long time when I was a brat. And we all know that late 1980's/early 1990's brats loved platformers.

These are just the ones that keep drawing me back the most, although there are more games that keep me coming back for more. Some are on other systems (I play SWOS on the PC. It's probably the game I play the most. I'm also a big graphic adventure fan but I tend to play those games only once. Few have good replay value).

Last edited by PortuguesePilot; 24 October 2015 at 02:27.
Old 24 October 2015, 15:35   #51
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Rod-Land - Why? 'Cos it's more addictive than heroin. The extremely well-balanced gameplay simply "makes sense". It's instantaneously playable and, on top of that, the graphics are so cute and sweet that I swear you'll get diabetes.
Cute sharks! SHARKS!

Quote:
Toki Why? Because it's very well ported. It's almost a perfect conversion with some aspects even better than the arcade
Yes, and a rare example of were the Amiga version is better than the Mega Drive version, which in this case was very poor.
Old 24 October 2015, 16:18   #52
d4rk3lf

I'll going to off topic now... so... sorry.

Quote:
Yes, i could finish it on the easiest couple of levels, it gets hard really quickly though with the more advanced enemies.
I wonder, how hard would it be to make a remake on todays computers and android? Imagine multiplayer on K240. Or at least skirmish.
I am doing a graphics, so I don't have a clue on how hard would programming something like that would take.
Also, dunno about copyright on K240. As I see, Gremlin software don't exist anymore.

I might give it a shot in the future, if I find some programmer. Something really simple to start with: 2 asteroids, few buildings, few ships, and a few upgrades from Skytech.
Old 24 October 2015, 17:54   #53
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
On amiga:

Cadaver (all levels): unique atmosphere in it, clever puzzles, underrated, ultra hard (had to check the walkthrough almost all the time!)

Gods: because it's the greatest game ever All secret stuff, and great visuals & sfx & level design, emeny A.I.

Chaos Engine: Fast, cool music & visuals, smart level design & game play (well, I just defined the Bitmap Brothers)
:Applause
Old 24 October 2015, 18:14   #54
jotd
This cat is no more

Oh forgot to mention Magic Pockets (underrated, loopy, full of surprises) coded by the guy who later coded ... Rise of the Robots (not on my list!)
Old 25 October 2015, 01:26   #55
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I'll going to off topic now... so... sorry.

I wonder, how hard would it be to make a remake on todays computers and android? Imagine multiplayer on K240. Or at least skirmish.
I am doing a graphics, so I don't have a clue on how hard would programming something like that would take.
Also, dunno about copyright on K240. As I see, Gremlin software don't exist anymore.

I might give it a shot in the future, if I find some programmer. Something really simple to start with: 2 asteroids, few buildings, few ships, and a few upgrades from Skytech.
FS-UAE incorporates Netplay, but I have not tried it yet?

As for you innovative Idea