English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 October 2014, 13:12   #21
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Problem found and solved in emulation : This game requires (CE) cycle-exact under winuae, otherwise the chipset test fails and find (AGA) instead of (OCS).

So galahad must be right about the OCS/ECS/AGA detect routine which is at fault.

EDIT : also found a funny phrase inside the game : 'pippistrello pippistrello, perchè hai fatto la pipi dentro all'ombrello?'
which means, "Bat, bat, why did you peed inside the umbrella?"

Last edited by dlfrsilver; 17 October 2014 at 13:21.
Old 17 October 2014, 22:42   #22
Superman

Thats for taking a look into this Galahad. I have tried it on my A500 with 512k chip 512k fast and I still get a Guru Meditation as soon as I left click the mouse from the crack screen. It does work fine in WinUAE though with OCS and ECS chipsets selected. My Amiga must have some other issue with this I suspect.

I trieds those 2 games you mentioned other_reality and Body Blow Galactic works fine for me as you can see. Its the Fairlight crack (+8ATX) version.

Alien Breed Tower Assault crashed out as though someone had ripped out my scart cable. The screen just went off and as soon as I pressed the CTRL A A to reset the Amiga I got a Guru Meditation.

Last edited by Superman; 18 October 2014 at 00:07.
Old 18 October 2014, 01:06   #23
other_reality

Ok, we have the same problems with arcade pool and tower assault. Just tried out galahad's adf. Forget about bb galactic, mine works too i was using an aga set by mistake.
Old 18 October 2014, 01:26   #24
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Right, follow me and we'll solve it.

Game boots up, reads track 0, then steps right to the end of the disk to track 79
Cracktro then displays.
On exit, the drive 'should' then step back to track 0 again before then stepping to track 61 and then loading.

After you exit the cracktro do you hear the disk drive do anything at all or does it crash immediately?
Old 18 October 2014, 02:06   #25
other_reality

in my case, it crashes immediately after crack text. power blinks and goes to guru. damn gotek has no sound though, but yeah, it goes off in a snap so my bet is it doesnt have time to read, just crashes.
Old 18 October 2014, 02:15   #26
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_reality View Post
in my case, it crashes immediately after crack text. power blinks and goes to guru. damn gotek has no sound though, but yeah, it goes off in a snap so my bet is it doesnt have time to read, just crashes.
Try this. Hold left mouse button down before cracktro appears, and tell me if that works.
Old 18 October 2014, 05:20   #27
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Problem found and solved in emulation : This game requires (CE) cycle-exact under winuae, otherwise the chipset test fails and find (AGA) instead of (OCS).

So galahad must be right about the OCS/ECS/AGA detect routine which is at fault.
That's nonsense! Game checks DeniseID for chipset check so nothing to do with the speed of the emulated machine. Why something must be buggy just because it requires cycle-exact emulation is beyond me anyway...

Quote:
Ok, we have the same problems with arcade pool and tower assault. Just tried out galahad's adf. Forget about bb galactic, mine works too i was using an aga set by mistake.

I have, just for fun, cracked Arcade pool to 100% DOS files. Please try attached image, does it work for you? Please notice that this is more or less a quick hack and just for testing so please disable any external drives you have as otherwise the game might freeze due to lack of memory.

If my version works for you I'll create a 100% proper release of the game.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ArcadePool_CrackedByStingRay.zip (601.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 18 October 2014, 10:46   #28
other_reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
DOS files. Please try attached image, does it work for you? Please notice that this is more or less a quick hack and just for testing so please disable any external drives you have as otherwise the game might freeze due to lack of memory.

If my version works for you I'll create a 100% proper release of the game.
OK tried it, It boots up, shows Team 17 logo, and when it goes to the screen with the detected specs, it shows AGA as chipset and then throws a corrupt screen and freezes.

Galahad's disk with the left mouse button pressed though works !!! It shows Original chipset in the said spec screen and goes on to play the game. Pretty cool !

If you can trick Tower Assault the same way i think it'll work as well.

Last edited by other_reality; 18 October 2014 at 10:52.
Old 18 October 2014, 10:48   #29
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
OK tried it, It boots up, shows Team 17 logo, and when it goes to the screen with the detected specs, it shows AGA as chipset and then throws a corrupt screen and freezes.
The freeze is because there is not enough memory available and I know how to fix this problem. I'll continue to create a proper version then, watch this space.
Old 18 October 2014, 10:49   #30
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
That's nonsense! Game checks DeniseID for chipset check so nothing to do with the speed of the emulated machine. Why something must be buggy just because it requires cycle-exact emulation is beyond me anyway...
DeniseID is unreliable if Denise is OCS (DeniseID is ECS Denise and later only), CPU gets back "bus noise" (It is not all ones necessarily, especially if any Agnus DMA channel is currently active) which can also depend (maybe, I am not sure) on type of mainboard and used expansions and so on. VPOSR is much better choice for chipset type testing.
Old 18 October 2014, 10:50   #31
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
DeniseID is unreliable if Denise is OCS (DeniseID is ECS Denise and later only), CPU gets back "bus noise" (It is not all ones necessarily, especially if any Agnus DMA channel is currently active) which can also depend (maybe, I am not sure) on type of mainboard and used expansions and so on. VPOSR is much better choice for chipset type testing.
Yes I know that there are much better approaches to check the chipset, I personally use VPOSR check which has always worked reliably so far.
Old 18 October 2014, 12:48   #32
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:

Galahad's disk with the left mouse button pressed though works !!! It shows Original chipset in the said spec screen and goes on to play the game. Pretty cool !

If you can trick Tower Assault the same way i think it'll work as well.
Well, if you take your original Delirium crack and just hold left mouse button down on bootup to bypass the Delirium intro, game should now work
Old 18 October 2014, 14:32   #33
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Yes I know that there are much better approaches to check the chipset, I personally use VPOSR check which has always worked reliably so far.
But i was right Stingy And Toni confirmed it
Old 18 October 2014, 14:50   #34
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

The chipset check IS bad, true and if there wouldn't have been your "if something needs CE emulation it must be broken" conclusion I wouldn't have commented at all.

Anyway, properly fixed and 100% system-friendly DOS version will soon be available.
Old 18 October 2014, 20:18   #35
Superman

I just tried the left mousebutton trick on Galahads version and my Amiga instantly goes to a flashing power light guru meditation. Stingray your version loads up perfectly fine as normal. The system check screen says "AGA" for the chipset which clearly my A500 isn't but the game works as you can see from this pic I took:

Old 18 October 2014, 20:20   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I just tried the left mousebutton trick on Galahads version and my Amiga instantly goes to a flashing power light guru meditation. Stingray your version loads up perfectly fine as normal. The system check screen says "AGA" for the chipset which clearly my A500 isn't but the game works as you can see from this pic I took:

Is yours a 1meg chip ram machine?
Old 18 October 2014, 20:27   #37
Superman

Well thats a good question because thinking back (20+ years ago) I'm sure my dad did a 1mb chip ram conversion as I have a wire soldered on the motherboard on some jumpers. All memory check software tells me I have 512k chip and 512k slow though.

See the red wire here next to kickstart

Here is what is reported in sysinfo (workbench avail is the same)

Old 18 October 2014, 20:29   #38
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Ok, take the original Delirium crack from the zone, do the same thing with my version and hold down left mouse button when loading and see if that works.
Old 18 October 2014, 20:42   #39
Superman

Same result on both, I get a bright white screen and the power light flashes to an instant Guru Meditation.

Stingrays version that worked has no cracktro at all so maybe thats whats giving my computer some problems? Its very strange indeed.
Old 18 October 2014, 21:44   #40
other_reality

Hey, at least one version is working for each of us ! Problem with tower assault is that intro is unskippable, so please stingray or galahad could you fix that one as well - if you're in the mood ofcourse .