English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 December 2018, 16:58   #1
77slevin

Strobing red colour to green and back

I bought a 2nd Amiga 600 as a backup to my A600 with Vampire 2 card, just in case it fails. (Or that's what I tell myself for buying yet another Amiga )

I've noticed when booted into Workbench the red mouse pointer strobes into green and back. When starting other programs with a red interface I notice the same behavior. Anybody know what could be the issue? Don't know if it is relevant: A600 does this with v2.04 ROM, also with v3.1 ROM and the machine was recapped by previous owner. [ Show youtube player ]

Old 24 December 2018, 21:29   #2
Cobe

Looks like somethings decrunching.
Old 25 December 2018, 00:13   #3
77slevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe View Post
Looks like somethings decrunching.

It does, doesn't it? But I can assure you: the system is doing nothing when the color of the pointer is changing. I suspect it has something to do with the video-out, maybe even a bad recap job but I don't know for sure. Any hints to what is causing this are welcome.

Old 26 December 2018, 09:51   #4
ajk

If everything red blinks (but other colours don't?), I'd imagine there is a bad component or solder joint somewhere on the board indeed. I assume that video clip shows the system connected via composite - can you try via RGB, is the problem still there?

You could use the Workbench palette prefs to easily adjust things to different colours, and try to narrow down the problem, like is the problem only with very bright red and so on.
Old 26 December 2018, 20:37   #5
77slevin

I only have the option of connecting with SCART to my LED TV, I don't own any CRT monitors anymore (no RGB). When I use the same cable and TV on my main A600, I don't have this problem. I did the palette prefs you suggested and see it color shift even more. (slider is set for red (15,0,0) and it goes green) Video: [ Show youtube player ]

I fear I bought the proverbial lemon, blast!

Old 26 December 2018, 20:47   #6
ajk

Hmm, well SCART can carry either composite or RGB, so it depends on how the cable is built. Just looking at your first video there is a bit of a red fringe around the pointer, so I thought it's composite (RGB is usually quite sharp).

Second video isn't working for me at least right now. But video problems like this can usually be fixed, doesn't look like there is anything seriously wrong with the board if it's otherwise running well.