English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 April 2008, 19:59   #1
Bloodwych

Storing retro computers and consoles

I was doing some reading today on capacitors to see if they fair worse in storage than in constant use, as, like many of you here, I have some older hardware that's just sitting around and not powered up very often.

It seems that capacitors in storage suffer from a leakage issue that builds up an oxidizing layer. They can be restored using a "reforming" technique that isn't really practical when they're soldered on circuit boards!

Does anyone here know if it's best to power up electrical devices in storage every month or so to slow the process? Or won't it make a difference?

I don't want to be powering up stuff for no reason! But if it's helping to prolong the life of their capacitors I guess it's something to keep in mind.
Old 06 April 2008, 21:32   #2
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

This is true not a myth certainly regarding older capacitors (esp large PSU Caps).
I would power up the equipment and let it run for 30Mins or so every couple of months.

I tend to do that with my Acorn BBC Machines.