English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 16 March 2016, 15:08   #561
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
True.. well, with Zeewolf I think it was writing CC00 to the POTGO. From memory it was only having difficulty with the pad when CD32Load's routine for reading CD32 buttons was running (which writes F600 or 6F00 depending on the port being read). So I guess some kind of conflict between the writes.

Clone pad, tested with the Competition Pro and the DB9 PSX adapter in CD32 mode, same results (my official pad doesn't work unfortunately).

Did you want me to do an ISO of Zeewolf that (at least on my pads) has the issue on real hardware?
Yes please. Also describe the problem and does it also happen in menu(s) or only in game? (I am too lazy to burn any CD-Rs, at least if it only has one test case )
Old 16 March 2016, 17:46   #562
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolderPCB View Post
Does that mean cool spot and gg work on the CD32 now?
No, it means that Psygore fixed the same issue ih Aladdin and Putty Squad (common problem to John Twiddy games) when he made thr cd32 versions. There hasn't been a fix for cool spot or gg made yet.
Old 18 March 2016, 23:17   #563
jotd
This cat is no more

Hi again,

Some more real HW tests: NOCDFREEZE flag is a mess. Works fine on the emulator, but on real hardware, it seems that leaving the interrupts enabled/as-is during CD access is really a problem. So bye bye Apano Sin. SWIV may work with FILECACHE since memory allows it. SWIV worked OK with NOCDFREEZE actually last time I tried.

Something else: I have added FILECACHE & NB_READ_RETRIES options.
FILECACHE acts like RN loader but with Psygore loader: it loads full files, means reduced CD access when you can afford the memory. Agony loads very fast with that.

A question: did you ever notice a terrible high-pitched buzz noise on CD load (and lockup obviously) ?
I had it several times, both with Psygore loader AND RN loader. Is my drive dying? Well I almost hope so, else it would mean that CD32Load is highly unreliable

I was wondering about adding PRELOAD option to preload a particular file in cache (a bit like a RAM loader). That would use the ROM CD routine instead of custom routines, and would act like a RAM loader if there's only one diskfile and nothing else: ex: PRELOAD=disk.1
Old 19 March 2016, 09:44   #564
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Some more real HW tests: NOCDFREEZE flag is a mess. Works fine on the emulator, but on real hardware, it seems that leaving the interrupts enabled/as-is during CD access is really a problem.
Unfortunately there is still not enough information to find out what is going on.

Could you add some debugging output that shows which unexpected Akiko interrupt(s) gets triggered? (=Contents of $B80004, preferably all registers)
Old 19 March 2016, 13:08   #565
jotd
This cat is no more

I could, but I just get a lockup, not an exception screen. On real HW, there are rarely interrupts or stuff like that.
Plus my drive seems to be in poor shape. Sometimes doesn't spin. I have to open and play with the contacts.
My best hope would be HRTMon that I could make work on the emulator.
BUT the good news is: shutting down the interrupts allow most games to load (except the problematic Cool Spot & Global Gladiators: there are several problems).
Old 19 March 2016, 19:33   #566
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I could, but I just get a lockup
Which is exactly what happens if unexpected hardware interrupt comes and there is no one handling it.

My guess is that CD controller sends status packets after read ends, perhaps it sends them periodically all the time. But as I said, there is no way to confirm it without SX32 or similar. (Booting from HD or floppy is required)
Old 19 March 2016, 20:13   #567
Akira

Quote:
Plus my drive seems to be in poor shape. Sometimes doesn't spin. I have to open and play with the contacts.
If I can figure out the way to make compilations with that ISO tool whatever, I can start testing in hardware and hep out. I have been putting it out because I've been busy with stuff, but maybe next weekend I can fiddle with it.
Old 19 March 2016, 22:16   #568
jotd
This cat is no more

Which kinds of interrupts? Level 2? Maybe my vbr redirected handler could handle that.

I got an idea. When I get an interrupt I check akiko intreq and if set I clear it and don t relay the interrupt to the zero page handler.

Akira i'll provide with a nice python wrapper for iso creator.

I spend most of the time burning CDs for real HW testing. But my drive has problems. Sometimes I think the game does not work, I retry another time with the same CD and it works perfectly. Well, if it worked once then it works

Last edited by jotd; 19 March 2016 at 23:05.
Old 20 March 2016, 10:44   #569
jotd
This cat is no more

BTW CD32load version 0.20 is out on my website. I have added the FILECACHE tooltype which allows to cache current file in memory (diskfiles come to mind): no more incessant loading, RAM loader equivalent for 1-disked game.
Next step if the PRELOAD=disk.1 option so in some cases no custom CD code would be called.
Old 20 March 2016, 14:55   #570
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I guess you could do extra check at the end of level 2 interrupt routine: after normal move.w #8,INTREQ, do one dummy read from INTREQR (delay), then do another read, if PORTS bit is still set: Akiko (most likely) has non-acknowledged interrupt active: dump Akiko registers.
Old 20 March 2016, 17:59   #571
xArtx

If there’s something you really need to know I’ll boot from a floppy with a compiled executable and tell you what happens.
Old 20 March 2016, 18:32   #572
jotd
This cat is no more

Thank you xArtx!!!
Toni I have an idea: since I freeze the interrupts when reading the CD, I think it would be safe to systematically kill Akiko INTREQ on level 2 interrupt.
But you're right, if xArtx can dump akiko regs it is interesting. But I don't see how without modifying the slave (not CD32Load since first there's VBR interrupt that redirects to CD32Load and CD32load calls the $68 vector

I think that if we analyse level 2 interrupt handler from problematic games (Cool Spot, Global Gladiators) compared to others I think we can find a bug like the bug you found in Ruff'n'Tumble (wrong BTST). I'll check that: edit: no suspicious stuff, just that registers are restored AFTER interrupt flag is cleared. I remember having trouble with some interrupts routines because the latest instruction before RTE wasn't the famous move.w #8,$DFF09C, but that's pretty empiric.

Edit in the zone, find a CD32Load 0.21 beta. If you can boot on a floppy on your SX32 (lucky you have one!!) and tell me if it works... If it doesn't can you use the new PRELOAD=disk.1 option to see if it boots (nice workaround: use the OS to load the first file and put it in the cache like whdload would do)

Last edited by jotd; 20 March 2016 at 19:00.
Old 20 March 2016, 20:51   #573
xArtx

Hi, sorry I only just got back here. I don’t know everything you’re talking about,
and probably can’t do this till tomorrow, it’s 5:45am here in Aus!

I have SX-1 and floppy drive which I guess is the same thing for this.
I see one file in the Zone, is PRELOAD=disk.1 in startup-sequence?
How do I know if it works?
Old 20 March 2016, 21:13   #574
jotd
This cat is no more

Ok.
Launch cd32load with just the cool spot slave as argument
If it works (you see game intro), fine. If it doesnt add preload=disk.1 option and report.
I should create spdcial version too. Will do soon.
Old 21 March 2016, 08:58   #575
xArtx

Ok, I’ll have to grab some more CDs tomorrow.
I used the last one copying CD32load & CD32test binaries over.
I still need CDs to get any files to the CD32 at all, and then write to disk from there,
but that part is at least done.

and also don’t have Cool Spot CD, but don’t suppose that will be hard to find.
Sorry for delay, I’ll get onto it tomorrow again!
Old 21 March 2016, 15:39   #576
jotd
This cat is no more

I can create a CD, but the aim is to boot from floppy and test many versions of CD32load & debug programs without burning a ton of CDs.
Old 21 March 2016, 17:20   #577
xArtx

Yes I do have the two binaries on floppy now, but need a CD in the first place to do it.
So what needs to be on the floppy is cd32load, a slave file, and the cool spot game?
Could you make an adf to do that which I can write to floppy with adf2disk?
What I downloaded from the Zone just looks like two binaries, and the rest is source.
Old 21 March 2016, 23:11   #578
jotd
This cat is no more

Ok, cd32load needs to be on the floppy (or whatever test program we need you to run) and you also need a CD containing the CoolSpot game.

The floppy is cool because you don't have to burn a CD each time we build a CD32load test version.

boot on floppy and run cd32load CD0:GAMES/Coolspot/Coolspot.slave

Edit: coolspot.zip iso in the zone

Toni can you post the exact code you have in mind?

I would write:

Code:
  move.w #8,$dff09C
   move.w $dff01e,d0
   move.w $dff01e,d0
   btst #3,d0
   bne red_screen_of_death_with_akiko_dump
correct?

Last edited by jotd; 21 March 2016 at 23:22.
Old 21 March 2016, 23:59   #579
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

@XartX

If it's any help, I've made an ADF with a script that launches coolspot.

Insert jotd's Coolspot CD, boot from floppy and at the prompt type coolspot.

EDIT: Just thought, can you type on the CD32? I could make it autoloading.

Last edited by Arnie; 23 March 2016 at 08:32.
Old 22 March 2016, 07:28   #580
tomcat666
Retro Freak

I am trying to use cd32load on a plain A1200 with CF card attached on the IDE port and I get the red screen with the error that even after 3 retries it couldn't load the file. In the debug info there is correct path displayed. I get this for all games I try... Is there something special that needs to be done to get them working on this setup (I did an image of the CF card and it is 512 bytes/sector, it is FFS) ?