English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 October 2014, 14:17   #1
Liquidsnake

Buddha Ide card Phoenix edition

Hi
I'm planning on using the Buddha card in my A3000D. Is it possible to boot from this if you have a cf-carf attached to it ? Or will the Amiga automatically boot from the scsi-drive ?

I really would like it to boot automatically but if you can choose it as a bootdrive in the early bootmenu that will due
Old 08 October 2014, 14:49   #2
thomas

The Buddha is bootable.

The partition with the highest boot priority will boot, no matter where the harddrive is connected to. You can change boot priorities in HDToolbox (or a similar program). If you set the priority of the Buddha HDD higher than the SCSI one, it will boot from the Buddha.

All boot partitions will be shown in the early startup menu, so you can choose there anyway.
Old 08 October 2014, 16:42   #3
Liquidsnake

Well, that sounds excellent !
One more thing: I assume all I have to do to make it appear in the early-startup is connect to the molex cable ?
If that's what it's called
Old 08 October 2014, 19:12   #4
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
Well, that sounds excellent !
One more thing: I assume all I have to do to make it appear in the early-startup is connect to the molex cable ?
No, that's not enough. Only partitions are shown in the early startup menu, not harddrives. Before you see something in early startup, you have to create one or more partitions. With HDToolbox (or a similar program) as you might have guessed.

Quote:
If that's what it's called
Molex is the power cable only. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex
You have to connect the data cable, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
Old 08 October 2014, 20:08   #5
Liquidsnake

Well the card is plugged in and I connected a cf-adapter, but I can't get it up and running.

The controller card is in the zorro-port, and it has a connector that you have to use if you want to use harddrives with it, so I connected that, however I used the one that usually goes to the floppy since I didn't have anything else, could that be a problem ?
Cause I can't find the device, with the software that came with it, or idefix 97
Old 08 October 2014, 23:12   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
Well the card is plugged in and I connected a cf-adapter, but I can't get it up and running.

The controller card is in the zorro-port, and it has a connector that you have to use if you want to use harddrives with it, so I connected that, however I used the one that usually goes to the floppy since I didn't have anything else, could that be a problem ?
Cause I can't find the device, with the software that came with it, or idefix 97
Buddah device is there on boot, so if its not seeing drive, then theres a problem with drive.

What else do you have connected to buddha?
Old 08 October 2014, 23:55   #7
watsonfmly

A floppy cable will not work.

A regular 3.5" hard drive takes a 40 pin cable (+ a power cable)
A 2.5" hard drive takes a 44 pin cable (that includes power - however if you use one of these you must run power to the buddha card)
Old 09 October 2014, 02:30   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonfmly View Post

A 2.5" hard drive takes a 44 pin cable (that includes power - however if you use one of these you must run power to the buddha card)
Good spot, I thought he was talking about the Floppy molex connector.
Using a floppy ribbon cable, will bend a few pins on the header, so you will see its not right.
Old 10 October 2014, 23:59   #9
Liquidsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Buddah device is there on boot, so if its not seeing drive, then theres a problem with drive.

What else do you have connected to buddha?
At the time I wrote that comment I had a cf-adapter plugged into the card. Nothing else
Old 11 October 2014, 00:00   #10
Liquidsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsonfmly View Post

I know about the 40 and 44 pin cables, but I was only using a cf-adapter, connected to the 40-pin on the buddha though.
Old 11 October 2014, 00:01   #11
Liquidsnake

Could it be that my cf-card isn't compatible with buddha or should most of them work ?
Old 11 October 2014, 00:17   #12
thomas

There is a patch for the Buddha driver to work with CF cards: http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/amiga.html

The required eb_final archive is available there: http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/File:Eb_final.lha
Old 11 October 2014, 05:48   #13
watsonfmly

Take a picture of how you have it hooked up. Your description is confusing to me. You said "so I connected that, however I used the one that usually goes to the floppy....", then you said you know about cables.

Please take pictures so that we may help you.
Old 11 October 2014, 14:09   #14
Liquidsnake

I'll get a picture fo you tonight
Old 11 October 2014, 22:42   #15
Liquidsnake

Btw, I got the scsi drive connected to a scsi-controller card in my pc. So I won't be using the buddha it seems