English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 February 2005, 19:28   #1
magnox

Exclamation PPC Not working please help!!

Hi if anyone could help i'll be most grateful. I have tried a ppc card and bvision graphics card I have got off someone and put it in the amiga but it doesent work for some reason. My setup is a a1200 with idefix and a 4 gig hard drive and cd drive in a power tower.

I put my old memory in which I know works into one of the unpopulated banks on the ppc 040 card the memory make is compaq and I previously has that memory running in a taifun 030 accelerator, I then attatched the bvision card onto it and tried to boot, but I just got a blank screen and no hard drive activity other than a brief moment after power up. Thinking the graphics card was conflicting I tried the ppc without it attatched and the memory on it and again just a blank screen. I then tried the ppc unpopulated with no memory on it and again no result. Power seems to be getting through to the board as the fan is going round on the ppc the small one near the memory banks. Any help you can give will be great please, as i this is my first ppc board and graphics card and will be gutted if they are dead!!

thanks
magnox
Old 06 February 2005, 22:20   #2
Leki

hi

does the ppc card show up in the early boot menu.....click third option and see if its listed and "working"
Old 06 February 2005, 22:32   #3
Leki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002
Try it without the BVision, what happens then?
he said he tried that already
Old 06 February 2005, 22:50   #4
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leki
he said he tried that already
Yeah, sorry. Didn't read too carefully...

Have you waited long enough to know the ppc has finished its initialization sequence?
Old 07 February 2005, 00:01   #5
oldpx

You might have an original problem, then heating as the secondary problem. It happened to me. If for example I had a simple problem with ram settings that could be fixed from the boot menu and left the card running too long without a cooler then it wouldn't boot even if I had removed the ram.

Old 07 February 2005, 10:16   #6
RetroMan

this could be a power issue with some 040er PPC cards .... be sure you got enough power on your PSU .... oh and be sure to give the board some more power with attaching the floppy power cable to the boards floppy power connector, this will give you enough to boot and run the system
Old 07 February 2005, 21:53   #7
magnox

hi thanks for all your replies When I boot up I have tried to get the early boot menu up but to no avail it doesn't do anything just a grey screen, do I need memory in the ppc to boot and also where do I put the floppy drive power cableif you dont mind me asking?? The card has been put in a power tower case with a fairly good power supply. One thing I have noticed is the thermal compound between the ppc processor and heatsink is not connecting the two together properly and also it seems the 040 chip used to have a heatsink/fan on it but has been removed. Any more suggestions please if poss?
Old 07 February 2005, 22:28   #8
oldpx

I strongly suggest putting at least a heatsink on that 040! Its heating problem is far worse than the ppc cpu.

Old 07 February 2005, 22:30   #9
RetroMan

You connect the power cable from your PSU directly to the Floppy power port of your A1200 Mainboard and yes, the PPC cards need RAM to work

Without ram it won´t boot !
Old 07 February 2005, 22:44   #10
magnox

thanks once again for all your help, do you know where I can get and what sort of heatsink I need for the 040? Also when you say about the memory does it need a minimum amount to boot and a certain type of ram? Also does it need to be matched pairs or a certain speed? Thanks once again for your help.
Old 07 February 2005, 23:54   #11
oldpx

I think you can even use a single ram stick. Any ram the card can recognize will do then you might need to configure the ram's speed from the boot menu.

Old 08 February 2005, 14:58   #12
RetroMan

Yup

Any RAM will do, you may use EDO and FastPage Modules as well but do not mix them

Btw, I got a PPC 210Mhz. with 040/25Mhz. and my 040 do not have a heatsink .... works well even if it is running several days without a break ....
Old 09 February 2005, 20:23   #13
magnox

hi again,
I have bought new ram a matched pair of edo making 64mb total (2 x 32's) and it worked fine with my old taifun card, was hoping this would solve my problem with the ppc board but it still does not respond but just locks up with a grey screen, although the fan does go round on the board itself. RetroMan mentioned it might be a power problem and said something about attcthing the power cable from the psu to the mainboard but im not sure where to put it can anyone help with this please?

warm regards
Magnox
Old 09 February 2005, 20:51   #14
oldpx

You can get power from the same pins that you normally power the DF0: with.

Retroman, my PPC used to lock up a lot without the heatsink. This might be primarily because of the climate differences between Germany and Turkey

Old 10 February 2005, 03:56   #15
RetroMan

@magnox

Ok, lets try it this way You see your Power Supply Unit ? Good, now just find a cable that can power up a floppy drive ..... get this plug an put it onto the floppy power connector on your A1200 Mainboard ..... thats it
Old 02 February 2006, 23:16   #16
snowman

Question @magnox

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with a bppc240MHz/060_50MHz. My screen is blank as well.

I do not believe it is a power problem because my card does not have an additional power connector. My power supply is a 300W PC supply and I tried my bppc on a A1200 platine witout anything, just the board (blizzard1260 workes fine like that).

As far as I did not see more postings from you please replay whether you fixed the problem.
Thanks for replays from other sides as well.

Regards

Snowman
Old 04 February 2006, 21:54   #17
snowman

Thumbs up

Hello,

just to finish this, the recommendation to plugin additional power to the floppy power supply connector on AMIGA´s motherboard was perfectly right . My BPPC603e+ works fine. It seems that (even with a powerfull supply) the output at the AMIGA expansion port is not enough (would like to measure that but don't know where and what ). This problem should actually not appear with additional powered PCI-Expansion boards (G-REX, Mediator 1200-SX etc.) between AMIGA and BPPC.

Regards

Snowman