English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 February 2020, 19:21   #1
Vipersan

Help needed with this PCB I just aquired

I recently aquired a Magnum 030/40..
It was boxless ...and came with no documentation or disks.
It is destined for my A1200 ...but I know nothing about it or indeed who made it..
The only clue is 'Wizard' and I assume it has an 8mb strip of ram.
I have just popped it on the trapdoor expansion briefly and it didn't stop my A1200 powering up ..so assuming it is ok ?
As I said I have no documentation ...and therefore could use advice or indeed a link to where I might get some.
I dont know if I will have to find lib files or drivers to take advantage of it...and if so ..again I could use some pointers.
Hoping someone on EAB has the same board and can possibly help ?
rgds
VS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	66319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0010.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	66320  
Old 27 February 2020, 20:26   #2
jimbob

Here you are -

https://www.bigbookofamigahardware.c...t.aspx?id=1651

I had one of these for while, some minor issues with the odd WHDLoad title but apart from that worked perfectly, just plug and play. If it boots when connected it is probably working fine. Check the boards screen in the early start up menu.

I seem to remember this one will take a 128MB simm but that may depend on having the correct firmware revision and appropriate simm format. I think there might be a floppy utillity which can update the firmware.

There is optional SCSI controller called the "ferret" but you will never find or need it.
Old 27 February 2020, 20:43   #3
Vipersan

Many thanks ..Im grabbing a copy of the Viper manual atm.
So ..it appears it goes under other names as well..
mighty confusing for a newb like myself.
lol
Old 27 February 2020, 21:19   #4
zipper

So it's a rebadged (German) Viper 1230.
Old 27 February 2020, 21:50   #5
sneeker

Dkb Cobra, They take 128mb simms, but I believe need a firmware upgrade for 3.1.
Mine was a bit unstable under 3.0 but worked perfectly under 3.1 so I assumed it had already had the update, even though i was original to the machine and that had 3.0 roms.
Old 27 February 2020, 22:09   #6
Vipersan

I could just risk grabbing a 128mb simm from the US ...
sadly shipping costs as much as the Simm ...and would be a gamble if my 'Viper' hasn't had the upgrade.
Is there any way I can check ?
rgds
VS

This is what I was looking at >>
New 128MB 72pin FPM 5V SIMM 32x32 Tin leads, non-parity

Last edited by Vipersan; 27 February 2020 at 22:15.
Old 28 February 2020, 00:13   #7
esel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
So it's a rebadged (German) Viper 1230.

Nope, its a DKB Cobra
Old 28 February 2020, 01:20   #8
aeberbach

Jut make sure you get a SIMM explicitly marked 5V, some are 3.3V and are no good in the old cards. What you linked is pretty much what I bought - strangely it works as 64MB only but it seems OK, and that's enough memory. Since it is brand new I figure my board is just a little incompatible.
Old 29 February 2020, 01:26   #9
Nightshft

I saw modules on ebay that say "5V AND 3.3V compatible". Does anybody know if they are ok to use?
Old 25 March 2020, 21:51   #10
Vipersan

Ok ..next question on this accelerator board
The 128mb expansion sim ordered from the USA arrived and appears to be working just fine.
but my curiosity has got the better of me.
There is an empty plcc socket on the pcb ..which is presumably for an mmu upgrade ?
so I couldn't resist buying what I assume is the correct device from China..
A Motorola MC68882FN40A
It was worth a punt for not much money ..but fitting it prevents the A1200 from booting.
I also tried moving that jumper at the side of it which I asumed is needed to enable the chip ..
Still no boot.
I've since pulled the chip and put the jumper back as it was..just to make sure I'd not damaged it.
The A1200 boots again no problem..so I have to assume there is more to this than just plugging in a chip and moving a jumper.
I cannot of course find any info about upgrading as the 'viper' was sold as basic ..or already upgraded.
Can anyone shed some light on this ?
perhaps someone already has one of these with the mmu fitted and working ...and would be kind enough to upload some photos for comparison..
maybe I could then copy the differences.
rgds
VS
Old 25 March 2020, 22:37   #11
Daedalus

I've seen a few SIMMs sold on eBay with Amiga accelerator compatibility specifically mentioned, yet when they've arrived they've been newly manufactured SIMMs using 3.3V-only RAM chips. Some of them work, others don't. The SIMM standard specifies 5V only operation, so any 3.3V parts are outside the standard, and every accelerator wil be designed for 5V SIMMs. Even the 68060, which operates on 3.3V, expects 5V SIMMs. So I would always suggest being wary of any relatively new SIMMs, especially 128MB ones. The only way 3.3V parts can be used is if they are 3.3V tolerant *and* have a 3.3V voltage regulator on the SIMM itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Jut make sure you get a SIMM explicitly marked 5V, some are 3.3V and are no good in the old cards. What you linked is pretty much what I bought - strangely it works as 64MB only but it seems OK, and that's enough memory. Since it is brand new I figure my board is just a little incompatible.
One of the SIMMs I looked at had this symptom, and it turned out that two slightly different types of RAM chip were used - one type on each side of the SIMM. In this case, both types were 3.3V parts, but one type just about worked while the other type didn't, resulting in it being detected as a 64MB SIMM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipersan View Post
The 128mb expansion sim ordered from the USA arrived and appears to be working just fine.
Good stuff - out of curiosity, what's the part number of the chips on the SIMM?

Quote:
There is an empty plcc socket on the pcb ..which is presumably for an mmu upgrade ?
That's for an FPU, not an MMU.

Quote:
so I couldn't resist buying what I assume is the correct device from China..
A Motorola MC68882FN40A
Yep, that should suit it fine.
Quote:
It was worth a punt for not much money ..but fitting it prevents the A1200 from booting.
I also tried moving that jumper at the side of it which I asumed is needed to enable the chip ..
Still no boot.
There are a couple of things that might be happening. The FPU will need a clock signal, either from the computer/CPU or a separate crystal. If you don't have a second crystal added to the board, the jumper beside the first crystal must be set to use the CPU's clock. I'm not sure what the jumper does, but usually there's no need to set a jumper for the FPU to start working.

The other possibility is that the part's a dud - either dead or a fake.

Last edited by Daedalus; 25 March 2020 at 22:43.
Old 26 March 2020, 00:03   #12
Vipersan

..Yep it may well be a fake...
This sort of thing has happened to me before with chips from China.
..but when they say 'genuine' you tend to fall for it.
I may try again from a different source if I get a chance.
thanks for correcting me ..regarding FPU ...Im sort of used to calling such things maths co processors.
Chip number from simm is KM44C16100BS-6
rgds

Last edited by Vipersan; 26 March 2020 at 01:04.
Old 26 March 2020, 12:22   #13
Daedalus

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of these sellers will just say whatever you want to hear in order to get the sale, knowing full well they'll have to refund a certain number of them but also that many people won't bother and they'll just get to keep the money.

Those chips are 5V parts, so good stuff
Old 26 March 2020, 13:29   #14
Vipersan

..Yes indeed buddy ..these people have no remorse selling untested reclaimed crap ..often going to the trouble of sanding down the chip and re-labelling.
My problem now is getting a genuine chip to try as most come from China ..even though they can be got from Europe or the US.
It's a minefield.
Old 26 March 2020, 14:43   #15
Kin Hell

@ Vipersan

https://amigakit.amiga.store/product...6&currency=GBP
Old 29 March 2020, 20:28   #16
StefaanC

Note, the FPU mounts on the accelerator PCB. If You look good there is a space to mount a second crystal right next to the installed crystal. So my educated guess is, You need to install a crystal also. or that space was not lined as crystal.
The crystal of the fpu and the cpu must not be equal, but if equal no wait states so smoother operation.
Old 30 March 2020, 02:04   #17
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Dkb Cobra, They take 128mb simms, but I believe need a firmware upgrade for 3.1.
Mine was a bit unstable under 3.0 but worked perfectly under 3.1 so I assumed it had already had the update, even though i was original to the machine and that had 3.0 roms.

Have a looksie here -

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/cobra
Old 30 March 2020, 23:19   #18
Vipersan

So ..The FPU I bought is not a fake ..
Closer examination with an eyeglass revealed a lot of oxidization on the plcc pins ..and 2 pins squashed flat ..so not making proper contact ..
15 minutes in the ultrasonic bath and some light rubbing with a fibreglass pen ..
followed by the 2 pins reshaped back to springiness.
refitted and after watching GadgetUKs latest vid on this very subject..uploaded today.
[ Show youtube player ]
I grabbed a copy of AIBB and ran the fpu tests.
Without the fpu ..the beachball test took nearly a minute to render.
with the fpu less than 10 seconds.
So ..another success I guess.
The FPU is using the CPU clock speed as set with the Magnums fpu clock jumper.
Nice ..

Last edited by Vipersan; 31 March 2020 at 10:40.