English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 28 April 2013, 23:36   #21
psygnosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
since you have workbench, do you have CrossDOS or any means to network? Might be easier that way, but I can always send you "MultiDOS" which is available on Aminet and readme states "Freely distributable, except that it may not be distributed for profit without written permission from the author." This way you can create your own ADF by transferring xcopy. However xcopy distribution info is:
"2. Distribution and Costs

You can distribute the software using any media only if you keep all the
files in it intact, and provided you do it free of any charge at all. You
are not allowed to distribute this software with other products and
charge money for the entire package or bundle. It cannot be given away
free as an extra for the purchase of another product. No media, handling,
packing and/or shipping charges are allowed for the distribution of this
software product. Notwithstanding the above, magazines are permitted to
covermount this package."

ahh i apologise i forgot about copyright etc etc
Old 28 April 2013, 23:44   #22
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
i forgot about copyright
yeah I did that back in the day
Old 29 April 2013, 00:04   #23
diablothe2nd

Why don't we collate a list of "essential software" that people would need to get them started, like X-Copy, MultiDOS etc etc, and contact all the authors for permission to distribute their products on floppies to assist newcomers/returnees in their first steps?

I don't mind recycling my blank label floppies for free, but the postage would kill me financially if suddenly 100's of people started coming out of the wood work wanting this service

edit - where would we stand legally for making copies of coverdisks? are the publishers still around? because the authors gave their permissions for the publishers to distribute their work effectively making it public domain. if there is no legal grey area on simply duplicating coverdisks i'm pretty sure we can cater for everything that was given away freely.
Old 29 April 2013, 20:43   #24
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

With the Workbench 1.3 and 2.0 disks (excluding AmigaBASIC for 1.3) having been "freed" already, I don't really see a big problem.

I mean, the WB3.0 install set was included onthe last few AmigaFormat coverCD's so how "illegal" could they've been? I seem to recall that whoever owned the Amiga IP back then, said all but the current (which was 3.1) was now legal to copy for the purpose of getting the Amiga usable, especially if you biught the computer secondhand and just needed the proper WB-environment.

Could be a filure in my memorychips, though
Old 30 April 2013, 01:06   #25
lesta_smsc

All this copyright business! In all fairness, the product would be useless if most of these remained copyright as it is difficult to source originals for many things! Look at the whole business with Internet Archive...
Old 30 April 2013, 09:23   #26
diablothe2nd

sadly there are businesses out there (and here on EAB) that would either try to hold EAB responsible or hunt the individual down to slap them with a nice legal letter.

Personally I think all this kickstart copyright is actually ruining a revival. open source it! or give it to Linus Torvalds

but that's besides the point. We still need to stay both within EAB rules and the rules of our country. dont want anyone getting in trouble now, do we
Old 30 April 2013, 09:33   #27
TjLaZer

I can provide this for USA members.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:58   #28
demolition
Unregistered User

And I can do it for people in Denmark, as long as my postage expenses are covered (cheap if shipped as letter).

Stuff like XCopy and Multidos is already free for download and (free) distribution, so that shouldn't be a problem if people need those to get their Amiga up and running.
Old 30 April 2013, 13:48   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
With the Workbench 1.3 and 2.0 disks (excluding AmigaBASIC for 1.3) having been "freed" already, I don't really see a big problem.
In which way are they 'freed'?

Quote:
All this copyright business! In all fairness, the product would be useless if most of these remained copyright as it is difficult to source originals for many things! Look at the whole business with Internet Archive...
Exactly that's the problem with those where you can still buy 'originals' still... EAB simply tries to stay out of trouble by avoiding any 'collision' with those who still sell Amiga software new (or have a license to distribute kickstart and workbench files...). Everything is allowed here exactly for that reason you mentioned. As long as those files are still sold... I hope that clears up a bit of the confusion as to why some files aren't allowed to share or offer here.
Old 30 April 2013, 14:20   #30
diablothe2nd

So, to clarify, if it's still sold, then we cant distribute it via a community service provided via EAB... but if it's not sold anymore, then it's all ok?

that sounds simple enough.

should we still make the effort at least to contact authors that have unusual conditions like not charging for postage, or do you think we can just distribute it anyway unless a cease and desist request comes through?
Old 30 April 2013, 21:02   #31
lesta_smsc

I was thinking things that were available on PD disks or Aminet is assumed for distribution - however, one thing interesting is that some of them comment about not charging for distribution - so are we in the wrong to have postage covered?! hehe ...

I want to keep this legal as possible - no personal gain from this, just want to do my bit to support the community.
Old 30 April 2013, 21:13   #32
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
should we still make the effort at least to contact authors that have unusual conditions like not charging for postage, or do you think we can just distribute it anyway unless a cease and desist request comes through?
In no way I voice an official opinion on this, just my 2 cents (feels good to pass this on to the new GMs ), but they are: As long as the service covers the costs and postage plus (I know this is a grey area...) some sort of small fee maybe, there should be no problem. Indeed it should be more a 'until somebody complains, it's all okay' policy here (again just my personal opinion). I'm currently still away from home, but once I'm back after the 4th I'll ask a GM to start the 'official" disscussion (if they don't answer here before that time anyway ).
Old 30 April 2013, 21:46   #33
diablothe2nd

Excellent news Druid

looking forward to the results
Old 01 May 2013, 11:29   #34
roy bates

i cant really see a problem with cover disks as they were given away free to whoever bought the magasine they were stuck to.just a thought.

i think dir opus 4,octomed,real3d was on a cover disk etc.
Old 01 May 2013, 22:43   #35
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Quote:
In no way I voice an official opinion on this, just my 2 cents (feels good to pass this on to the new GMs ), but they are: As long as the service covers the costs and postage plus (I know this is a grey area...) some sort of small fee maybe, there should be no problem. Indeed it should be more a 'until somebody complains, it's all okay' policy here (again just my personal opinion). I'm currently still away from home, but once I'm back after the 4th I'll ask a GM to start the 'official" disscussion (if they don't answer here before that time anyway ).
The usual conditions are that the cost of the service should cover only the cost of supplying the programs (disk(s), p&p and a reasonable charge for time spent copying, packing and posting the item(s)). Anything more stringent than that is unreasonable and could be challenged, IMHO.

Quote:
Excellent news Druid

looking forward to the results
...and now you have a start.
Old 01 May 2013, 22:49   #36
diablothe2nd

w00t!

time to get the hair dryer out on all my "blank labelled" disks.... and then verify them... good thing i have 3 external drives to do 4 disks at once
Old 01 May 2013, 22:54   #37
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The usual conditions are that the cost of the service should cover only the cost of supplying the programs (disk(s), p&p and a reasonable charge for time spent copying, packing and posting the item(s)). Anything more stringent than that is unreasonable and could be challenged, IMHO.

...and now you have a start.
Exactly what I was trying to say. Although I think for sake of convenience a stamped address envelope is good enough (if the requester provides disk as well). Other alternative is a payment via paypal and the sender could arrange for envelope and disk etc.
Old 01 May 2013, 23:03   #38
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Exactly what I meant A small fee for the time spend is certainly fine, but there should be an upper limit per copied floppy.

Thank you for your thoughts prowler
Old 01 May 2013, 23:04   #39
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Other alternative is a payment via paypal and the sender could arrange for envelope and disk etc.
that's pretty much what i was thinking of providing. I've got god only knows how many jiffy bags that i can recycle and cardboard boxes that can be cut to sizes suitable for larger orders not to mention several thousand disks that will likely only end up in the bin if not recycled as wifey-to-be is intent on making me cut down my amiga disk footprint (even though she's got a room piled to the ceiling with her crap from our last house move) I'd pretty much only wanna charge for the postage, and maybe a little bit for the time spent hair drying off labels, putting the data on and verifying it's all good (is 10p too cheap? lol)

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 01 May 2013 at 23:11.
Old 01 May 2013, 23:12   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Although I think for sake of convenience a stamped address envelope is good enough (if the requester provides disk as well). Other alternative is a payment via paypal and the sender could arrange for envelope and disk etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
A small fee for the time spend is certainly fine, but there should be an upper limit per copied floppy.
All sounds good to me!

Quote:
that's pretty much what i was thinking of providing. I've got god only knows how many jiffy bags that i can recycle and cardboard boxes that can be cut to sizes suitable for larger orders not to mention several thousand disks that will likely only end up in the bin if not recycled as wifey-to-be is intent on making me cut down my amiga disk footprint (even though she's got a room piled to the ceiling with her crap from our last house move) I'd pretty much only wanna charge for the postage, and maybe a little bit for the time spent hair drying off labels, putting the data on and verifying it's all good (is 10p too cheap? lol)
Heheh, good luck with that!