English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 22 January 2020, 00:02   #1
CubeTheory

Hi From a returning Amiga User

Hello.

I was a member on here many years ago, but my old account appears to have gone now.

I got my first Amiga (A500) in '89 when I was 16, after getting a summer job in Wimpy (burger place in the UK) to save up for it. I'd had a Dragon 32 and a BBC Micro before that.

Years later I picked up a couple of Amiga 1200's, one I bought from a friend and one I found in a church fair for £8!

I was also given a barely functional A1000 with a broken keyboard.

I towered one, with a Blizzard 030, 32mb, 2gb HD, etc. the other I gave to my cousin.

I stupidly sold the tower in 2006 for £160 but never really thought about it until my friend told me he was starting a retro computer collection, at first I donated my A1000, A500 and Dragon 32, as they'd all been in storage, but kept the BBC as it has a special meaning for me, and I nursed it back to health.

That was the trigger for me. I suddenly started collecting retro computers, a couple of Spectrums, a ZX81, an Oric Atmos, and repairing them. I then started thinking about the things I'd had and regretted getting rid of such as a Psion Series 5, and trying to collect them again.

It was then I suddenly realised I should never have given my A500 and Dragon away!! Fortunately my friend gave me them back last week, and I've been having a blast on the A500.

I've cleaned and repaired my external Roctec drive (new belt), put one of my Goteks into another external housing, and im about to make a new RGB cable. as I have all the bits (I made one back in the day as my TV wouldn't work with any off the shelf ones so I already have a suitable DB23)

Next thing is the A500 itself. the Caps look ok, but I'm going to recap it. I have the necessary skills and tools (desoldering station, etc) but I'm a little nervous, as its a special machine for me. Any tips on this would be appreciated.

I'd like to get my hands on an A1200 at some point, but im in no rush, just biding my time hoping I strike it lucky with a good deal (like one of my spectrums which a friend found in his dad's loft and gave to me).
Old 22 January 2020, 00:42   #2
fxgogo

Hey Cube Theory, nice intro. I have to laugh at your stories of missed retro opportunities and mishaps. I had an entire collection of BBC kit offered to me for free, well a donation to a charity, but essentially free. It had everything, computers, drives, monitors and software up the wazoo. I just had to go and pick it up. Well I too so long to go pick it up, the guys wife threw it all in the trash.

I still cry a little bit when I tell that tale.
Old 22 January 2020, 01:08   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi and welcome back. It's highly unlikely the A500 will need recapping, an A1200 thought if you get one most certainly will.

Have fun getting back to the hobby. I've been getting back into the Amiga a lot more recently having just built up a new A1200 tower.
Old 22 January 2020, 04:02   #4
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Am I reading this right? You got your own original A500 back?

That is so friggin awesome!!!!!
Old 22 January 2020, 06:38   #5
jmmijo

Welcome
Old 22 January 2020, 11:59   #6
seuden
uber cool demi god

Welcome, nice story. Also, fitzsteve! Welcome back!
Old 22 January 2020, 20:48   #7
CubeTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Hey Cube Theory, nice intro. I have to laugh at your stories of missed retro opportunities and mishaps. I had an entire collection of BBC kit offered to me for free, well a donation to a charity, but essentially free. It had everything, computers, drives, monitors and software up the wazoo. I just had to go and pick it up. Well I too so long to go pick it up, the guys wife threw it all in the trash.

I still cry a little bit when I tell that tale.
I cringe when I think of the old computers and handhelds that have passed through my hands, and I let go of. My Beeb always had a B&W CCTV monitor attached to it. I got given a Model B (Mine's an upgraded Model A, which My Dad and I upgraded, hence the attachment), twin externally powered Opus 40/80 track drives, and a Microvitec Cub Monitor.

I sold it on for £40. the reason I didn't keep the monitor? the base colours the Beeb produced were horrible and everything looked better in Monochrome! I did keep the drives through.

The guy who bought it off me eventually gave it away.
Old 22 January 2020, 20:49   #8
CubeTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Am I reading this right? You got your own original A500 back?

That is so friggin awesome!!!!!

Yup, it was only gone for a year, but it had been in storage for a lot longer.

No more, it's going to be actively used.
Old 22 January 2020, 20:52   #9
CubeTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi and welcome back. It's highly unlikely the A500 will need recapping, an A1200 thought if you get one most certainly will.

Have fun getting back to the hobby. I've been getting back into the Amiga a lot more recently having just built up a new A1200 tower.
I have checked them and they look ok, and everything so far seem to work fine, there are 2 that are a little suspect so I might swap them about and see what's what.

My A1200 was in an Eyetech tower, with a right angle PCMCIA adaptor with lan card, an SD/FF, and a buffered IDE interface, along with the Blizzard. No Mediator though. I even got hold of a mint A400 keyboard for a steal. that alone would be worth more than I got the the entire thing!
Old 22 January 2020, 20:53   #10
CubeTheory

Thanks all for the warm welcome. been having so much fun with my old buddy.
Old 23 January 2020, 01:06   #11
B2k_ad

Back in the day my Brother threw my towered A1200 away,
while cleaning out old stuff miss identyfied it for an old PC.
I feel your pain.
However i still kept my A2000 with its A2630. (wich i am writing from currently)
Dont be scared on soldering if you done Micros before the A500 will come in easy.
Old 23 January 2020, 02:19   #12
Pyromania

Welcome CubeTheory, enjoy EAB.
Old 26 January 2020, 03:30   #13
CubeTheory

Some Pics

Stripped and cleaned the Amiga today and got it properly set up. Thought I'd share a couple of pics.

I decided not recap in the end, because on close inspection, everything looks fine, there's no evidence of leakage or corrosion, and the machine appears to be working perfectly.

The ram expansion, on the other hand has suffered at the hands of the RTC battery, and there its some (not much) corrosion. I removed the battery and a couple of resistors and diodes to isolate the clock circuit. The ram is working fine.

My plan is to just keep an eye on it, and if I notice anything (leakage, or strange happenings) then I'll recap.

Right now, I just want to enjoy it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0733.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	986.1 KB
ID:	66003

Typical, only just set up and im pirating games already

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	998.1 KB
ID:	66005
Old 26 January 2020, 05:17   #14
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Hello & Welcome m8ty...n-joy your stay with us all....