English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 20 May 2016, 23:38   #761
jotd
This cat is no more

Another update: CD32load is now able to run AGA games even if not enough aligned memory for buffers.
Only working candidate is Body Blows AGA. Not bad for something that took 1 hour to code.
Street Racer is close, but does not run.
Old 21 May 2016, 02:53   #762
earok

Great work as always looking forward to seeing Street Racer if it'll run.

Maybe a dumb question but, I noticed "Final Odyssey: Theseus Verses The Minotaur" is on the compatibility list? Maybe it was put there accidentally, but there's no way to run it with CD32Load as there's no slave, right?

(If it is possible to run with CD32Load, we'd be interested as the release on cd32.co.uk is keyboard required!)
Old 21 May 2016, 23:42   #763
jotd
This cat is no more

Final Odyssey remains here because it was an old request... But 0% done...

Street Racer runs now Needs CD32load v0.27, a new slave, a super-expert config involving 2 CD buffers and a swap zone (not aligned on 64k!) and updated data files (to be able to keep that swap zone instead of overwriting it with the main program)
So it was not a piece of cake but went rather well thanks to WinUAE and the 4MB chip test mode. In the end, only 3 or 4k of memory remain free !

Well, I'm the one who adapted the game from floppy to CD officially, so now I'm adapting it to CD32 unofficially and the CD can be bootable with CDXL intro. I'm sure you're up to the task!

I have zoned the modified version with the run script. I'll let you create the ISO...

Last edited by jotd; 21 May 2016 at 23:48.
Old 21 May 2016, 23:50   #764
earok

Sweet! Well done mate. I'll make some space in the schedule for it. Hopefully Steve can whip up a cover, and I'll adapt the intro from the PSX version.

Edit:

* I see you've done CD32 pad mapping is there a full list of what they are?
* Is there any chance all of the cups could be unlocked by default?
* Might be a bug on the menu screen, it seems to freeze up when I hit space (I wanted to see what this custom cup thing was). Otherwise from brief testing I couldn't find any problems.

Last edited by earok; 22 May 2016 at 00:05.
Old 22 May 2016, 00:05   #765
Amigajay

Great job on Street Racer JOTD!
Old 22 May 2016, 03:11   #766
earok

In addition to questions above, email from Steve:

Quote:
What are the controls like? Can they be like the PSX version/Snes too?
Eg.
From memory i think they used left shoulder button to attack to left and right shoulder to attack to right etc

Edit: I hope we're not asking too much, we know you've already done a huge amount of work on this so far!

Edit 2: Controls along these lines would be good it at all possible!

Attack left: Left Shoulder (Currently Up+Left)
Attack right: Right Shoulder (Currently Up+Right)
Brake: Blue (Currently Down)
Jump: Green (Currently Up)
Special: Yellow (Currently Fire+Down?)

Edit 3: CD32 ISO with intro zoned. This will be the final unless you're interested in further control tweaks?

Last edited by earok; 22 May 2016 at 04:07.
Old 22 May 2016, 07:18   #767
jotd
This cat is no more

i will add an option to remap controls. currently only standard remap is supported (pause and space), but current controls are horrible and wastes gameplay.
a cheat could be nice too.
i admit i never played it too much, found it too hard.
did you already test on real hardware?
Old 22 May 2016, 07:19   #768
earok

I have not. I can burn a disc tonight to test on real CD32 if you'd like.
Old 22 May 2016, 09:49   #769
jotd
This cat is no more

Don't bother. I'll test them along others this week. You told me you tested a lot more games not on the spreadsheet. You can add them to the spreadsheet, specially if they are good games (I tested a lot of shitty games like 3Dgalax, Baal, Cyberball..., I don't care about them)
Old 22 May 2016, 12:14   #770
earok

They're in the spreadsheet, but most of the games I tried weren't very good, I made the compilation as a favor to a friend who wanted a very of really specific good and bad games. Not tested on a real console, just in WinUAE.

They're all either black, red if they don't work at all, or orange in the case of Pirates! which has a strange display window issue. I haven't tried them on a real console.
Old 22 May 2016, 12:34   #771
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post

They're all either black, red if they don't work at all, or orange in the case of Pirates! which has a strange display window issue. I haven't tried them on a real console.
Is that the workbench window? Couldn't get rid of it either, luckily the HDD version worked a treat on my Pirates Disc.
Old 22 May 2016, 12:36   #772
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Is that the workbench window? Couldn't get rid of it either, luckily the HDD version worked a treat on my Pirates Disc.
Doh! I should have just used that. It's the Amiga 500 version I take it, not Pirates Gold?

And yes, Workbench window issue.
Old 22 May 2016, 12:39   #773
Amigajay

Quote:
Doh! I should have just used that. It's the Amiga 500 version I take it, not Pirates Gold?

And yes, Workbench window issue.
Yeah the A500 version.
Old 23 May 2016, 13:00   #774
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Was there an update for Desert Strike recently? That fixes the CD32 controls on NTSC mode? Also does anyone know if there is an NTSC version of Jungle Strike?

Last edited by Whitesnake; 23 May 2016 at 13:10.
Old 23 May 2016, 13:09   #775
earok

Yes, Yes, and I don't know about NTSC Jungle Strike :shrug

CD32 Pad support on Abaddon's latest slave is beautiful, just like the Mega Drive version you've now got guns/hydras/hellfires on separate buttons.

http://unofficial-cd32-ports.blogspo...-cd32sx32.html
Old 23 May 2016, 13:30   #776
Amigajay

Quote:
In addition to questions above, email from Steve:

Edit: I hope we're not asking too much, we know you've already done a huge amount of work on this so far!

Edit 2: Controls along these lines would be good it at all possible!

Attack left: Left Shoulder (Currently Up+Left)
Attack right: Right Shoulder (Currently Up+Right)
Brake: Blue (Currently Down)
Jump: Green (Currently Up)
Special: Yellow (Currently Fire+Down?)

Edit 3: CD32 ISO with intro zoned. This will be the final unless you're interested in further control tweaks?
Tried your iso last night in winuae, basically its unplayable without these sharp turn buttons, so yeah these button mappings are very much needed!
Old 23 May 2016, 15:02   #777
earok

I gave it a little more of a play before. Tried changing from PAL to NTSC, maybe too fast but it's impressively slick. The cornering is tricky but I'm sure it's masterable, it's totally weird that you can do a fully 360 degree turn in an Outrun style racing game though. Different characters seem to corner differently, the girl seems to corner a bit better than the old man that's the default player.

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to clamp the maximum turn angle to say 45 degrees, it'd break the soccer game etc but might make the racing game more manageable.
Old 23 May 2016, 17:20   #778
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
I gave it a little more of a play before. Tried changing from PAL to NTSC, maybe too fast but it's impressively slick. The cornering is tricky but I'm sure it's masterable, it's totally weird that you can do a fully 360 degree turn in an Outrun style racing game though. Different characters seem to corner differently, the girl seems to corner a bit better than the old man that's the default player.

Edit: I wonder if it's possible to clamp the maximum turn angle to say 45 degrees, it'd break the soccer game etc but might make the racing game more manageable.
Certainly when you play Desert Strike in NTSC mode it matches the speed of the Mega Drive version I would assume the same would apply to Jungle Strike, They are US games after all.

Last time I tried booting Jungle Strike CD32 into NTSC mode the game switched it back to PAL so I think a patch of some kind might be needed.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out
Old 23 May 2016, 18:47   #779
Amigajay

Jungle Strike was published by UK company Ocean Software, which licensed a load of EA games EA Hockey, Skitchin, Mutant League Hockey etc, I doubt the game ever made it stateside in 1994.
Old 23 May 2016, 19:03   #780
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

I was testing Desert Strike CD32 and it crashed while I was on Mission 4, When I picked up a guy out of the Command Center I got some in game dialogue on screen then it went red.

The game accessed the CD just before it loaded the dialogue after picking the guy up

Last edited by Whitesnake; 23 May 2016 at 19:29.