English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 31 July 2006, 12:14   #1
Jimbo

WinUAE and OS 3.9

Hi there again.

Many thanks for helping me with my other problems.

I now have a new one. I decided to start a second config to see if I could install my OS 3.9 that I bought when I owned my trusty A1200.

http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0s39is6.jpg

Thats as far as I seem to be able to get.

I cant seem to make the screen fit right, at the moment its set to 800x600.

And I cant set the colours any higher. The stuff supplied with OS 3.9 like the cd player always asks for a disk. Is there an easy way to emulate a CDROM. Or is there another way around it?

Many Thanks for any help
Old 31 July 2006, 12:27   #2
Jimbo

Ok a little update. I fixed the screen mode and the colours.

http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9updatekc3.jpg

Still cant get the media player and cd player to search the hd's instead of searching for cd roms.

Im getting there slowly
Old 31 July 2006, 12:34   #3
thomas

This is not OS3.9, this is Amithlon. If you had a real OS3.9 CD you wouldn't have so many problems. The Amithlon installation contains many Amithlon-specific things which you have to remove manually.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:38   #4
Jimbo

Oh well I thought it was. It was bought of ebay in a sealed 3.9 disc :/

But I couldnt get it to install from cdrom.

I had to unrar the install program onto the hd.
Old 31 July 2006, 12:45   #5
Jimbo

So I take it this is a waste of time using?

Damn Ebay :/
Old 31 July 2006, 12:57   #6
thomas

Quote:
So I take it this is a waste of time using?
No, it is just a bit more work and you should already have a bit experience with AmigaOS in general.

Note that Amithlon is worth a lot more than OS3.9. Back when both were new, Amithlon was three times as expensive as OS3.9. You can boot your PC from the Amithlon CD. It replaces Windows completely and makes you PC be a high-end Amiga. Just the HDD installation is quite complicated, you need some experience with installing Linux.

Amithlon is a lot faster than WinUAE, but it does not emulate the Amiga's custom chips, so you cannot run older games on it. It was meant as an intermediate soluton for developers until new Amiga hardware was available. Unfortunately the developers and publishers began to fight about copyrights and money, so the project died quite early.

BTW, I just remember that I have a short guide on how to install Amithon's OS3.9 on WinUAE on my homepage: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39xl.html
I just don't know if it's still working with the recent WinUAE versions.
Old 31 July 2006, 13:11   #7
Jimbo

Many thanks for your help. I also found a PDF guide on how to do the boot install. Now about lo look at your link..

I have it running on the latest WinUAE atm. But it keeps losing screenmodes when it starts, im having to change them manually atm.

Many thanks.
Old 31 July 2006, 13:21   #8
thomas

Quote:
But it keeps losing screenmodes when it starts
Check if envarc:sys/screenmode.prefs is write protected (and remove the protection if it is).
Old 31 July 2006, 16:32   #9
Jimbo

Hi there

I looked at the file and it isnt write protected.

Starting to pull my hair out atm.

After installing the OS it needs a reboot. So after the rebbot this screen appears (and this is the same everytime I boot it).

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1dy1.jpg

Now I have tried adding my DVDROM by using the add directory tab in the harddrive section and removing the E:\ so it looks like E: but it says it cant find it.

So after pressing cancel. I get the boing screen:

http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2zn4.jpg

And I have to goto prefs and screenmode each time I load it to get it looking like this:

http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3ag0.jpg

Its driving me insane

Thanks for any help

I just need it to boot stright into the last link. :S
Old 31 July 2006, 17:32   #10
amiga

@Jimbo:

Get Amiga Forever http://www.amigaforever.com, if u want a hassle-free (and stable) OS 3.9 environment for WinUAE !
Old 31 July 2006, 17:48   #11
thomas

The "cannot open cdrom.device unit 0" message is the cause for the "please close all windows" message. If you leave the close message alone and cancel the cdrom message instead, the screen mode will change automatically.

The cause of the cdrom message is what the message says: cdrom.device is not present. It is a part of the Amithlon emulator. For WinUAE it should be uaescsi.device. Find the CD0 icon in Devs/DosDrivers and change cdrom.device into uaescsi.device.

Note: you should never cancel the "close all windows" message. Rather read it and do what it says: close all non-Workbench windows. Once the cause of the message is resolved, the requester disappears by itself.

In many cases, just like in this case, the cause for the message is hidden behind the requester, so move the requester window out of the way to see the causing window.
Old 31 July 2006, 18:01   #12
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@Jimbo:
3.9 under Amithlon is a revelation - sadly not supported anymore, but great.

Suggestions:-
1) You can install Amithlon 3.9 under UAE fine but it uses a 'funny' version of Picasso96. Try downloading the official version of the installer & reinstall P96 from scratch. You should find all then works as it should. ( Don't forget to replace the rtg.lib with the one from WinUAE & strip out anything Amithlon-related from Sys:s/startup-sequence, user-startup, Sys:WBStartup, & as thomas suggests. )

2) Better still, install Amithlon to your HDD. A real pain to do, but well worth the effort.
AmigaUAE works fine & @ good speeds under Amithlon if you really need chipset emulation - eg games.

If you decide to go the second route you may find useful instructions hard to find these days so PM me, or make a request on this thread.

3) Amiga Forever is great & well worth a try, but don't throw away your Amithlon CD as the AF version of 3.9 is a little 'odd'.

I only bought AF for KX-Light but the instructions for its HDD installation / modification never materialised.
( Despite many years of trying various distro's I find Linux too unpleasant/frustrating to learn sufficiently to do my own stripped out install. Ubuntu, of which I had high hopes, is my current source of annoyance. )

Last edited by Charlie; 31 July 2006 at 18:21.
Old 31 July 2006, 18:25   #13
kriz

What about trying http://amikit.amiga.sk/ or some other pre-configured package ?
Old 01 August 2006, 12:14   #14
Jimbo

Hey guys

Thanks very much for all the help. I think I am going to go down the install Amithlon on a 3rd hd. And use WinUAE on my C: drive to play the older games.

I really like Amithlon. I did get Amiga Forever. But I think Amithlon seems to be better.

Many Thanks Everyone
Old 01 August 2006, 19:59   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Download preinstalled OS3.9 from my site...
Old 01 August 2006, 20:19   #16
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
Download preinstalled OS3.9 from my site...
Expect to get a Moderator slapping for this LOL
Old 01 August 2006, 20:19   #17
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

@ Jimbo:

Best of luck - I think it's well worth the effort, but you need to be careful that the computer you want to install Amithlon to will do the job. ( It's quite an old proggie now & it just won't work with a lot of modern stuff without some heavy patching )

http://www.hd-zone.com/amithlon/amithlon.htm

Will be a good start...

Gary Colville has done a newer kernel that I can send if you need & can't find.

Quick tips:
-Not all partition software can assign Amithlon partitions ( eg Partition magic )
-I've never been able to get Amithlon to work installed anywhere but the primary boot drive. ( others have had more luck inc booting off usb sticks. Bios enabled SATA will often stop Amithlon booting too )
-Make sure you use all the Amithlon patches/updates you can find.
-Amithlon's Linux kernel can't cope with more than 512meg, so don't add more or limit the available memory in grub's start commands.
-There is no chipset emulation to speak of so make sure you can get drivers for whatever GFX/Sound cards you have.
-SFS is the easiest good fs to setup under Amithlon, only ever quick-format. ( PFS can be hard to get working )
-GeForce4 ti & SBLive! are probably the best cards with fully-functioning drivers.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Charlie; 01 August 2006 at 20:55.
Old 13 November 2008, 19:55   #18
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
BTW, I just remember that I have a short guide on how to install Amithon's OS3.9 on WinUAE on my homepage: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online.de/os39xl.html
I just don't know if it's still working with the recent WinUAE versions.
First of all sorry for resurrecting such an old thread. I've been trying to follow Thomas' guide on installing AmigaOS XL on WinUAE. Here's what I see when I get the AmigaDOS window up:

Code:
1> lha.run
LhASFX V1.2 Copyright (c) 1991,92 by Stefan Boberg
filename.run -? for help

Extracting: LhA.guide
Extracting: lha_68020
Extracting: lha_68040
Extracting: lha_68k
Extracting: lha_68k.readme

Operation successful!
1> lha x cdrom:os-version3.9/os39-install.lha os39/
lha: Unknown command
Thought I'd try the lha_68040 command:

Code:
1> lha_68040 x cdrom:os-version3.9/os39-install.lha os39/
Cannot open "mathieeedoubbas.library", version 37.
1> lha_68040 cdrom:os-version3.9/os39-install.lha os39/
Cannot open "mathieeedoubbas.library", version 37.
Now I'm stuck. Any advice here is welcome.
Old 13 November 2008, 21:36   #19
thomas

Lha.run has been replaced on Aminet by a newer version. The original version is still available as http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/LhA_e138. Try this instead.
Old 14 November 2008, 00:56   #20
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Lha.run has been replaced on Aminet by a newer version. The original version is still available as http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/LhA_e138. Try this instead.
Thanks thomas, that did help me. FYI I had to change the command from
Code:
lha x cdrom:os-version3.9/os39-install.lha os39/
to
Code:
lha x cdrom:os-version3.9/os3.9-install.lha os39/

This is my first time using any type of UAE, having trouble saving the configuration. When I follow your instructions I can get an AmigaDOS window up to use LHA. However, when I close WinUAE (Alt+F4) and try to restart using the configuration I thought I had saved I go to the kickstart insert disk screen. Have any idea what I may be doing wrong?