English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 February 2020, 22:54   #21
Juz400

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Yet, I can't deny that my Amiga use was rekindled by WinUAE.

WinUAE has kept my interest going for years but just dabbling, I watched Terriblefires experiments on utube from the start, when he mentioned 68060 for CD32 I started watching Ebay.
Late last year I bought a CD32, a TF330 at Xmas and probably an 060 when available.
Maybe next year a V4 too, now Very hungry for software that can use the faster CPU and RAM
WinUAE gets more use at the moment, the monitor I have for the CD32 is too fuzzy for Devpac via Composite
Old 25 February 2020, 23:04   #22
Zak
Zap´em

I have a Blizzard 060 card in my A4000. I don't know if it still works though, I don't have the space and a bunch of other problems so that I can't really care for my real Amigas. I mostly use WinUAE instead.

In late 90's I said no I won't surrender to PC and buy a real awesome Amiga instead. But it couldn't cope with the Internet really well and by now it's yellow and awful. And I didn't recap it and things of that sort.

I think about selling it but I wouldn't get much money for it I guess and I hate Ebay for constantly losing my personal data and don't want my bank account number be stored there.
Old 25 February 2020, 23:20   #23
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I don't really understand why you need to keep the number of current V4 Vampire users so private / secretive?

Especially when the only person who's actually interesting in writing a game specific for the Vampire would like to know the number of users for the Vampire / other accelerator cards...

Not sure how this could have any negative effect on sales, or anything else for that matter.

Anyway, whatever.
Well, I respect their decision to not disclose the shipped number of units.

Though I would lie if I said it wouldn't alleviate some of my anxieties. But, I should know the reality soon - in about a month anyway.

I'm not obviously trying to replace the income I had when I quit my job 24 months ago. That would be crazy.

But, it should be possible to survive on this, given that I don't pay mortgage, rent, car loan and health insurance.

The only unexpectedly high cost, after I bought the house in North Dakota last summer, is heating.

It is way more costly than expected to heat the house to at least 8-10 degrees Celsius, when it's -40 'C out there.
Fun fact : it's faster to defrost the meat in the fridge than leave it out on kitchen counter

If Vampire doesn't work out, there's 68060, then 68040.
And there's the Jaguar.

I guess I can always try to return to corporate environment as the last resort...
Old 26 February 2020, 01:16   #24
Nobby_UK

There is/were couple of sites that ran a Database of Amiga Users Worldwide

Can't recall the names now, prob... dead ?
Old 26 February 2020, 01:35   #25
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladR View Post
Well, I respect their decision to not disclose the shipped number of units.

Though I would lie if I said it wouldn't alleviate some of my anxieties. But, I should know the reality soon - in about a month anyway.
Yup, I hear ya

...but again, I'll repeat what I've already said:
I don't really understand why the "Apollo Team" need to keep the number of current V4 Vampire users so private / secretive?

Especially when the only person who's actually interesting in writing a game "specific" for the Vampire would like to know the number of users for the Vampire / other accelerator cards...

Not sure how this could have any negative effect on sales, or anything else for that matter?
Anyway totally their call; and to be honest / blunt, I really don't care less anyway, as personally I have zero interest in this over-hyped / not 100% Amiga compatible / constantly changing / expensive product
Old 26 February 2020, 02:39   #26
lmimmfn

Quote:
Yup, I hear ya

...but again, I'll repeat what I've already said:
I don't really understand why the "Apollo Team" need to keep the number of current V4 Vampire users so private / secretive?

Especially when the only person who's actually interesting in writing a game "specific" for the Vampire would like to know the number of users for the Vampire / other accelerator cards...

Not sure how this could have any negative effect on sales, or anything else for that matter?
Anyway totally their call; and to be honest / blunt, I really don't care less anyway, as personally I have zero interest in this over-hyped / not 100% Amiga compatible / constantly changing / expensive product
Horses for courses and all that and I know you use WinUAE but for us that like using original hardware it's currently the only decent performance alternative vs crazy priced 060 cards on amibay.
Maybe when terrible fire 060 is available it will become the defacto cpu upgrade, hopefully.
Old 26 February 2020, 11:05   #27
AMike

Based on this numbers the V2/4 is one of the biggest userbases in the Amigascene. (>4.000) https://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/ That also fits more to the numbers Tuko posted and he has more insight than anyone else here.

In my opinion there are three other bigger groups.
  • 060 - not to forget that for the A1200 three 060 turbo cards are coming and Matze is developing a 060 card for A3/4000. That means the userbase will grow. https://www.a1k.org/forum/index.php?threads/73349/
  • 030 - probably a lot of the A1200s have been upgraded with a 030 card. There are many Blizzards1230 and ACAs out there.
  • A500 - probably bigger than the two upper groups together - but most of them have very low specs (below 030)
040 - rather a minor importance, most of the turbo cards were converted to 060. Today it is not easy to get a 1240 anymore.

But to give exact numbers is very difficult, on a1k for example there are many 060/V2 users and Germany has a big amiga scene. I think the whole 68k Amiga userbase is not bigger than 3-4000. For example - if you have a very good game developed you can't sell more than 500 copies of them. (There are much more Amiga computers in the wild - but most of the user has more than one machine)

Evaluations of the different Amiga systems can be found here - but unfortunately the site is already a few years old.
http://amigamap.com/

Last edited by AMike; 26 February 2020 at 11:49.
Old 26 February 2020, 11:13   #28
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
040 - rather a minor importance, most of the turbo cards were converted to 060. Today it is not easy to get a 1240 anymore.
Regarding 040 I'd think there's still a great deal of A4000/040 out there (which are still running an actual 040).
Old 26 February 2020, 13:57   #29
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
...and to be honest / blunt, I really don't care less anyway, as personally I have zero interest in this over-hyped / not 100% Amiga compatible / constantly changing / expensive product
This.

Quote:
Based on this numbers the V2/4 is one of the biggest userbases in the Amigascene. (>4.000) https://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/ That also fits more to the numbers Tuko posted and he has more insight than anyone else here.
That's just the number of ppl who expressed interest in the thing, not actual sales/preorders/whatever.

That said, I'm not against the product per se, but the fanboism surrounding it is just unbearable to me. If it were just a plain FPGA based accelerator it would be waaaay better IMHO. But even a 111% compatible AGA standalone with some cherry on top (RTG, AHI, 3D) would be perfectly cool. I'd buy that right now (for €199, let's be realistic here).

Again, I just can't stand the fanbois who feel the need of spamming the "V" word everywhere - as well as the whole SAGA/PAMELA/AMMX nonsense.

Sorry for the rant and OT.

Back on topic: I have a couple of 060 based Miggies (1200/4000) - and I know of a close friend with a 060/PPC combo, so you have 2 customers here at least!
Old 26 February 2020, 14:30   #30
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
Regarding 040 I'd think there's still a great deal of A4000/040 out there (which are still running an actual 040).
For all I know a rather small portion of the A4000s sold were 040-A4000s. Since the 040-CPU board installed by Commodore sucked so badly, most people rather bought an 030 and then installed a proper turbo card (even 040 turbo cards before the 060 became available).
Old 26 February 2020, 14:32   #31
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
That said, I'm not against the product per se, but the fanboism surrounding it is just unbearable to me.
The same goes for all those many people who constantly feel the need to express their desinterest or disdain for the Vampire. For unknown reasons there does not seem to be a middleground.

Quote:
as well as the whole SAGA/PAMELA/AMMX nonsense.
Oh, you are one of them...
Old 26 February 2020, 14:55   #32
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
This.
That said, I'm not against the product per se, but the fanboism surrounding it is just unbearable to me.
In mathematics I do not know any variable that is based on emotions. It rather seems that your contribution is coloured by emotions. If you can provide a better number based on facts I am happy to hear it.

The numbers on their page are either for already purchased cards or for users who are interested in buying a card. If you do not react to the payment mail from Igor you will be removed from this list. You are welcome to try it yourself.
Old 26 February 2020, 15:10   #33
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Oh, you are one of them...
Yeah, right.

Quote:
The numbers on their page are either for already purchased cards or for users who are interested in buying a card. If you do not react to the payment mail from Igor you will be removed from this list. You are welcome to try it yourself.
Cool, interesting.
Kudos then.
Old 26 February 2020, 20:34   #34
E-Penguin
Banana

I guess that doesn't account for people who bought a vamp from kipper2k back when he was making them. Probably a few hundred more there (including mine)
Old 27 February 2020, 02:30   #35
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
For all I know a rather small portion of the A4000s sold were 040-A4000s. Since the 040-CPU board installed by Commodore sucked so badly, most people rather bought an 030 and then installed a proper turbo card (even 040 turbo cards before the 060 became available).
For the first 1/3 of the 4000's life it only came with an 040 -- the original A4000 had no CPU on the motherboard and they all shipped with A3640. The cost reduced A4000/30 came later and I think they mostly sold in the Europe - a market where big box Amigas didn't sell well in general. Not sure how many were sold in UK but in Germany the figures that were made public were 7,500 030, 3,800 040. i.e. only ~11,000 total of any model.

I would not be surprised if the majority of A4000s out there were 040 models sold for the video market in the U.S. -- with a huge chunk of those being "Video Toaster 4000" prepackaged units where they actually covered up the Amiga logo with the Video Toaster sticker. Tens of thousands of were sold and most of these were sold in bundled systems.

It's very rare to find a U.S. A4000/030. I think it's safe to say that the total number of A4000/040s sold in the North America is greater than the total of *ALL* A4000 models sold in the rest of the world. It's also probable that the North American "Toaster" labeled systems outsold all "Amiga" labeled 4000s from the entire planet combined. The majority of A4000 systems I encounter either have the Video Toaster sticker or marks from where the sticker used to be.
Old 27 February 2020, 11:13   #36
Overflow

I also got the Kipper V2 board, but Ive ordered the V4, and will probably use that as my "main" Amiga going forward. I will probably find a use for the V600 as a dedicated platform doing.... * something*
Old 03 March 2020, 20:37   #37
VladR

What is the typical RAM config of 68060 ? I was browsing some older expansions, but they all merely state that you can buy classic SIMM modules.

It would appear to me they were just CPU upgrades ? Meaning if somebody decided to run 68060 with just 1 MB RAM it was possible ?

My current executable is 4 MB (but that's because I am targeting Vampire's 128 MB), but I just realized that the 16 MB RAM that I [for whatever reason] took for granted on 68060 might not really be a standard ?
Old 03 March 2020, 21:26   #38
skan
Dream Merchant

I think you can take that for granted indeed (16MB minimum). I never met anybody with lower amounts of fastram on 060 boards. If there's any, that should be an exception. IMHO of course.
Old 03 March 2020, 22:04   #39
VladR

Cool, thanks. That helps.
Old 04 March 2020, 07:33   #40
nobody

Probably lots of people own 060 and Vampire cards, used them for a while then dropped them in a drawer. There isn't much software that takes advantage of such a card, except some emulators and very few games.