English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 February 2014, 13:12   #1
vulture

Addams Family port/remake?

Dunno if this topic has come up before, searched and found no relevant thread (sorry if I missed something), but I just happened to stumble on a gameplay clip of Addams Family on Atari ST and what a big surprise! The game has actual backgrounds instead of the blackness in the Amiga version!

So, my question - request to anyone interested/able to do it, would it be possible to get those extra gfx from ST to our version without too much work?
Old 04 February 2014, 14:33   #2
Amiga1992

Did you see how horribly that port scrolls? I for one rather have blackness than that garbage.
Old 04 February 2014, 14:51   #3
vulture

Yeah sure, but that's just usual ST crap, why couldn't we have our game as it is plus the extra bg gfx on our superior hardware?
Old 04 February 2014, 14:59   #4
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Does seem strange but the background tiles arnt that nice. Its only a few tiles they left out I wonder why. They could have gone for something like Toki - Nice Platformer anyway.
Old 05 February 2014, 07:27   #5
vulture

Actually the ST version , from the clips and screen shots I've watched, seems to have all (or almost all) the backgrounds of the genesis version, which is much. And while some backgrounds are indeed not very nice, like those blue stuff on the outside, the indoor backgrounds are quite good imo.
Old 05 February 2014, 11:23   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I would guess only a few tiles from each tile set are missing - Anyone got the Amiga and ST tiles?
Old 05 February 2014, 14:09   #7
Amiga1992

There is a reason why it wasn't put. You can't just think it's trivial because the ST has them.

Personally I didnt code the game and am not a coder, so I won't say why, but it is obvious that if they didn't include it it was for a good reason. Weren't the preview versions shown on mags with a background?
Old 05 February 2014, 14:49   #8
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
There is a reason why it wasn't put. You can't just think it's trivial because the ST has them.

Personally I didnt code the game and am not a coder, so I won't say why, but it is obvious that if they didn't include it it was for a good reason. Weren't the preview versions shown on mags with a background?
It was normal practise back then to show screenshots from other formats. More than likely the backgrounds were left out due to time constraints and deadlines.
Old 05 February 2014, 14:50   #9
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Comparison here-

http://www.retro-sanctuary.com/compa...ms-family.html
Old 05 February 2014, 16:41   #10
Sandro
Banned

seems was not included because old amiga hardware was not capable to have solid backgrounds + good framerate
AGA yes is capable, you can see the difference for example in the game trolls, Oscar, brian the lion etc
Old 05 February 2014, 16:51   #11
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
seems was not included because old amiga hardware was not capable to have solid backgrounds + good framerate
AGA yes is capable, you can see the difference for example in the game trolls, Oscar, brian the lion etc
The A1200 wasn't available when this game was released.
Old 05 February 2014, 17:07   #12
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Quote:
I think adding in the backgrounds to the amiga version would of been quite easy to do if there was no parallax scrolling, most amiga platform games had backgrounds of some kind and weren't just black.

Adding parallax scrolling to them would be much more difficult, but not impossible in the right coders hands!
Old 05 February 2014, 18:40   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
There are 10's of Amiga OCS/ECS games with full screen scrolling backgrounds. Aren't there?

The SNES, Atari ST & Amiga versions were all programmed by the same guy, James Higgins. (Who seems quite famous)

http://www.outofprintarchive.com/art...erPlay2-1.html

Maybe he wasn't quite at home Amiga programming?
Old 05 February 2014, 19:23   #14
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm perplexed the Amiga version didn't have the background, as it would have been no more effort to have it there, the game would still have to save, clear, restore blocks in any case, so it wouldn't have been an extra overhead to have one.

However, looking at the ST background is a misnomer, its shit and its horrible, it doesn't scroll, its static, only moving up and down, it looks downright bizarre frankly the way it doesn't move.

I suspect that inspite of Gary Braceys assertions that the Amiga quickly became the lead machine between it and the ST, this one was probably done on the ST first, and they simply ran out of time on the Amiga version, there was a problem and it was simply released as is.

The ST version is a shitty push scroller and the Amiga version is a proper 8 way scroller.
Old 06 February 2014, 06:18   #15
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Apart from what Galahad said released as is. I could only think you could save a few bytes with maybe less map data because no background and few less tiles(the backround tiles).
Old 06 February 2014, 08:56   #16
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
My version of this story : the team behind addams family started on amiga the programming. But they had to stop, and then came back, but this time on super nes. I remember reading about the coders/graphists that "no, no it won't work on amiga, so we let down the idea". Just to see afterwards that the ST release HAS the background !! When we know the ST has no abilities for that.... The true reason is that the ocean guys were mainly ATARI ST lovers BEFORE being coders, and if i remember more, (can't find back where i read it, but they CANNED the parallax, with a story of the amiga slowing down too much, or something like that... rubbish excuse!)
Old 06 February 2014, 09:12   #17
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
My version of this story : the team behind addams family started on amiga the programming. But they had to stop, and then came back, but this time on super nes.
They started work on the Atari/Amiga and went to SuperNES that is in all the articles. (The One Amiga Issue 42, Pages 28-30)
Old 06 February 2014, 10:16   #18
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Here's the direct link to just the 3 pages from The One preview of Addams Family.

I think the ST version is utterly awful. I would rather have the smooth scrolling Amiga version without backgrounds than the push scrolling garbage that the ST has.

However, they could have done something in the background, either have no parallax but include the graphics, or have a reduced parallax area if that really was going to slow the game down. The game doesn't even throw much around the screen, and the screen is only 256 pixels by 200 anyway!
Old 06 February 2014, 11:46   #19
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
but it is obvious that if they didn't include it it was for a good reason.
Mmmm... I'm not sure... Not a technical reason I think... Maybe a matter of time and money I guess...
Old 06 February 2014, 12:44   #20
Hewitson

Quote:
Wtf? Even the C64 can easily do that.