English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 April 2013, 18:45   #1
lokiloki

What use is a hard drive in an unexpanded A600

Hi I am getting back into Amiga's after a long, long, long absence

I have just got hold of an A600 with 1MB, no hard drive but the 37.350 ROM which I understand is good for hard drive booting?

I don't have any intentions of upgrading the memory or any illusions of using WHDLOAD Because I will be purchasing a HxC Floppy Emulator.

But I was wondering what uses a CF IDE could serve? I was thinking I might as well try and make use of it since it's there.

Is there a list of any games / programs which would work in this situation?

Old 20 April 2013, 19:10   #2
moijk
License to Bubble

there were games that were hard drive installable, and you got apps, mods, pictures etc which can be copied and used with an unexpanded machine.

people had hard drives back in the day too, it wasn't just for show
Old 20 April 2013, 19:14   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

The Amiga 600HD came with a 20mb hardrive and 1mb of memory so the games that came with it should work. I had Epic, Rome and Myth plus Dpaint III with mine. The A500/600 games packs will also work, Putty, Pushover, SOTB 12&3, Apidya etc...
Old 20 April 2013, 19:54   #4
Jope
-

It's surprising how much we got done back in the day on our 68000 machines with 1MB of RAM and a hard drive. :-)
Old 20 April 2013, 21:26   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Yes, it always amazed me how PC's required loads more memory to run the same game.

A HD is definitely worth the effort for any Amiga though.
Old 20 April 2013, 22:34   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
The Amiga 600HD came with a 20mb hardrive and 1mb of memory so the games that came with it should work. I had Epic, Rome and Myth plus Dpaint III with mine. The A500/600 games packs will also work, Putty, Pushover, SOTB 12&3, Apidya etc...
This was one of the Commodore's typical fails: they bundled Amiga 600 HD with games, that were not HD installable. Myth was a good example.

I had A600 with 40mb harddrive and 1MB memory and I used it a lot for work with DPaint and Protracker back in those days. Later I equipped her with another 1MB chip and I survived with it for her whole life with me.
Old 20 April 2013, 22:42   #7
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

At the very least, HDD is good for ADF storage
Old 21 April 2013, 00:40   #8
psygnosis

im thinking of buying a cf card off ebay mainly for the games and demos that come preloaded would anyone recommend them?
Old 21 April 2013, 07:36   #9
Jope
-

Quote:
Yes, it always amazed me how PC's required loads more memory to run the same game.
Heh, I was more thinking about music, graphics, learning to code 68k assembly (and failing), typing in the odd school essay, roaming around the BBSes. I was a dull kid, I had 75% utils and 25% games in my disk box. :-)
Old 21 April 2013, 18:33   #10
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
This was one of the Commodore's typical fails: they bundled Amiga 600 HD with games, that were not HD installable.
Really?
Old 21 April 2013, 18:43   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
im thinking of buying a cf card off ebay mainly for the games and demos that come preloaded would anyone recommend them?
Basically it's okay as long as you don't pay much more as for the card itself (and that there are no 'bad' files on it...). I'd recommend you check how much the card alone costs as loading it with games and demos isn't a big problem
Old 24 April 2013, 22:33   #12
lokiloki

Hi guys,

I went ahead and purchased a CF / IDE Adaptor, and have managed to install WB 2.1 onto the "4GB IDE hard disk", so it now boots from it.

I set it up as a 60MB Workbench partition then 4 additional partitions of ~ 900MB each.

I set it up and did most of this thru UAE and the CF does boot and work fine on my A600. Totally empty at the moment apart from a Deluxe Paint install, but I still feel like I achieved something

My next question is : Is there any way to stick a load of demos / applications on to these partitions without having to mount / install them one by one? (bearing in mind I won't be using WHDLOAD)

Old 25 April 2013, 15:47   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Well done lokiloki

I would humbly suggest getting a 1MB upgrade while a little expensive an A604 does open up a lot of further options!

With a 2MB Amiga, you can use AG-Launch for WHDLoad installed software

[ Show youtube player ]

Perhaps a little later you could invest in a 4MB FAST RAM upgrade from Kipper2k -

Recently I have gotten an ACA620 and it is a delight to use an accelerated A600 =)
Old 25 April 2013, 22:46   #14
Jonathan Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
This was one of the Commodore's typical fails: they bundled Amiga 600 HD with games, that were not HD installable. Myth was a good example.
I would have liked to install Myth on my A600HD, but as the hard disk was only 20MB, I ran out of room to install games anyway. Besides, most Amiga games on sale in 1992 weren't HD installable anyway.

I never completed King's Quest VI (10 disks), because I had to uninstall it to make room to install anything else
Old 25 April 2013, 22:58   #15
lesta_smsc

Quote:
The Amiga 600HD came with a 20mb hardrive and 1mb of memory so the games that came with it should work. I had Epic, Rome and Myth plus Dpaint III with mine.
Exactly the same one I had! Did you get it from Mays?! I think this was the Epic/Language bundle!?

I have realised something interesting. The requirements for Rome AD92 via WHDLoad is greater than the standard A600HD installable version!?

Last edited by DH; 25 April 2013 at 23:16. Reason: Fixed Quote
Old 27 April 2013, 23:29   #16
lokiloki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Well done lokiloki

I would humbly suggest getting a 1MB upgrade while a little expensive an A604 does open up a lot of further options!

With a 2MB Amiga, you can use AG-Launch for WHDLoad installed software

[ Show youtube player ]

Perhaps a little later you could invest in a 4MB FAST RAM upgrade from Kipper2k -

Recently I have gotten an ACA620 and it is a delight to use an accelerated A600 =)
Thanks Zetr0. I had no idea those kipper2k boards were so cheap, I'm used to seeing Amiga expansions at £££ levels! I will definitely have to enquire about that!

Old 28 April 2013, 03:17   #17
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Exactly the same one I had! Did you get it from Mays?! I think this was the Epic/Language bundle!?

I have realised something interesting. The requirements for Rome AD92 via WHDLoad is greater than the standard A600HD installable version!?
I got mine from 'tinternet, very reasonable and half the price of Mays.
Old 28 April 2013, 04:28   #18
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I got mine from 'tinternet, very reasonable and half the price of Mays.
Well my late father bought mine, may have been more expensive but unsure as I was too little to remember! Nonetheless, it was well worth it! Many years of enjoyment which continues till today - so in the long run, money well spent!
Old 29 April 2013, 00:18   #19
Jonathan Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
That's the same one I had too. I don't know where it was brought from, Santa brought it in 1992

I wonder why it was called Language Lab bundle. There wasn't anything language-based about it, except that it came with Trivial Pursuit. Also, I could never beat the first mission in Epic, even though I destroyed 70% of the mines.
Old 29 April 2013, 02:46   #20
lesta_smsc

Re: What use is a hard drive in an unexpanded A600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drain View Post
That's the same one I had too. I don't know where it was brought from, Santa brought it in 1992

I wonder why it was called Language Lab bundle. There wasn't anything language-based about it, except that it came with Trivial Pursuit. Also, I could never beat the first mission in Epic, even though I destroyed 70% of the mines.
I had better luck and completed epic! btw tapatalk is great! Now I can access site with ease! And yes the only language app was Trivial Pursuit - now that game was hard!