English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 May 2013, 00:48   #1
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Happy Free downloads

We've been working for a little while to collect freely and legally downloadable Amiga games. So far we've collected 345 downloadable games and most of them (I go as far as saying over 90%) aren't shareware/freeware/PD games: http://oagd.net/reports/downloadable-games

Currently we know about these sources: http://oagd.net/free-game-downloads
We'll try to list and support every game listed on any or those sites eventually, but naturally we'd like to incluide games that are 'icons' of Amiga game history first.

Any help may it be testing those available games, sharing more sites/pages with freely available games or even letting us know about copyright holders that might be willing to publish their games for free, please don't hesitate to let us know
Old 28 May 2013, 13:43   #2
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
We've been working for a little while to collect freely and legally downloadable Amiga games. So far we've collected 345 downloadable games and most of them (I go as far as saying over 90%) aren't shareware/freeware/PD games: http://oagd.net/reports/downloadable-games

Currently we know about these sources: http://oagd.net/free-game-downloads
We'll try to list and support every game listed on any or those sites eventually, but naturally we'd like to incluide games that are 'icons' of Amiga game history first.

Any help may it be testing those available games, sharing more sites/pages with freely available games or even letting us know about copyright holders that might be willing to publish their games for free, please don't hesitate to let us know
I have collected game sources too:
http://www.aros-platform.de/html/games.html

on "details" you find alphabetical list of games (can be old already)
Old 28 May 2013, 13:47   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Thank you We'll add the Games Coffer site for sure

Last edited by TCD; 28 May 2013 at 13:53.
Old 28 May 2013, 22:41   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I'd like to add that in addition to being a useful resource (people can now use oagd.net as an entry portal to locate legally downloadable games), it is usable for programs interfacing with oagd.net, such as FS-UAE Launcher: The attached screenshot shows the current status of FS-UAE Launcher (unreleased development version) with no local games, only populated with downloadable games (information automatically retrieved from oagd.net).

Manual game downloads

As you can see, you get information about games which can be downloaded, and FS-UAE Launcher will open the correct download page for you. Once you have downloaded the game, it will automatically be configured correctly and is ready to run.

Automatic on-demand download

A more advanced feature, which is also implemented, is the ability to download games on demand. In the screenshot, you can see that "Cybernetix" has a distinct icon, which means it will be automatically downloaded to the local hard drive the first time you start it. Shareware and freeware titles can of course be hosted on oagd.net directly this way.

FS-UAE Launcher can also download game files from third-party sites, and while this technically works already, we will only enable if for games/sites where we have approval from the site owner(s). There is no need to risk creating "bad will" in the community by doing otherwise. This solution is great where sites have permission to distribute games, but does not have permission to "pass that permission on" to other sites. If you manage a site with legal downloads, please consider giving us a statement allowing oagd.net clients, such as FS-UAE Launcher to auto-download games on demand from your site (*).

(*) The game files are of course cached on disk so they are not downloaded again on subsequent starts..

Hosted games

But of course, the ideal solution: It would be very nice to be able to broker deals to host game content directly on oagd.net, to ensure that games are readily available to all Amiga users (and especially to any software which uses oagd.net - which any software can freely do). So if you sit on distribution rights to Amiga games, or know someone who does, please consider helping us and the Amiga community.

Making Amiga game emulation more accessible to new users

One of the goals here is to make more Amiga games accessible to users, and especially to new users which are not accustomed to Amiga emulation. In an ideal world, all existing Amiga games would be auto-downloadable and ready to play. While technically possible, that solution does indeed have non-technical issues

This is a solution which can built on without fear of takedown notices, and the download feature can be safely included in future versions of FS-UAE (and other software).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-FS-UAE Launcher 9.8.7.png
Views:	294
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	35495  
Old 28 May 2013, 23:57   #5
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Automatic Download... Pretty icons too!

Hey Frode, can you PM me IF and when it's ready as I'll do an update article on site
Old 14 June 2013, 15:06   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

After checking through all sites 'briefly' for interesting commercial games, we've collected 484 so far: http://oagd.net/reports/downloadable-games

Still every new source is more than welcome
Old 14 June 2013, 16:13   #7
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Well done, Keep up the good work
Old 15 June 2013, 02:13   #8
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Where do we stand providing these on a floppy disk for distribution (in keeping with the floppy disk writing facility I proposed before)? Now that I've finally got my Amiga(s), and my serial cable to do some work with Amiga Explorer!
Old 15 June 2013, 08:34   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Basically only games that are freeware or PD can be distributed fully freely. However since you'd download it for personal use and put it on a floppy, rather than re-distributing them on a website, I'd say it's at least a grey area Best would be to contact someone from those sites (one per site I mean) and ask directly
Old 30 January 2014, 14:18   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Took us some time, but we finally reached 500: http://oagd.net/reports/downloadable-games

The hunt is still on, so if you know about more free downloadable games, please let us know
Old 30 January 2014, 18:03   #11
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Anything for Whales Voyage 2 - English?
Old 30 January 2014, 18:17   #12
emufan

BRIK FIGHTER by JBB - lha archive at archive.org only.
his PowerTetris 1.14 (shareware / demo version ) on aminet.
Old 30 January 2014, 18:29   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Anything for Whales Voyage 2 - English?
Sadly only the German version is available

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
BRIK FIGHTER by JBB - lha archive at archive.org only.
Thank you If you have contact to JBB (we might try to contact him via the given email address), please ask him if he'd allow us to host the files directly on OAGD.net.
Old 30 January 2014, 18:49   #14
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Great work TCD
Old 30 January 2014, 19:37   #15
emufan

Quote:
Thank you If you have contact to JBB (we might try to contact him via the given email address), please ask him if he'd allow us to host the files directly on OAGD.net.
i have no contact to him. you can mail him to this address, but freeuk may be down somehow - service maintenances announced as of 2010.
Old 30 January 2014, 20:04   #16
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Sadly only the German version is available

Nothing happened with this then?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=40765
Old 30 January 2014, 21:36   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

This is about legally available downloads. Unless somebody hosts those files that has the rights to distribute them, I'm afraid they won't be listed on our list.
Old 31 January 2014, 10:31   #18
Foxman

Genetic Species from Aminet isnt on the page.