English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 05 April 2009, 17:50   #41
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

First thing that comes to _my_ mind.... why use DPaint and not Personal Paint from Cloanto? PPaint has quite a few things DPaint doesn't... like the filter thingies, multiple undo, and so on... and was likely why DPaint was dumped in PPaints favour the last year or so Amiga's was produced.
Old 05 April 2009, 19:33   #42
Predabot

Personal Paint vs ImageFX huh? Hmm, personal Paint or ImageFx...

Has anyone used both programs, and know how they work?
Old 06 April 2009, 00:17   #43
Leffmann

As for Personal Paint I would say it's equal to Deluxe Paint in the sense that they're both geared for pixelling more than image editing and manipulation. Personal Paint does have some simple programmable image filters (convolution filters and that sort) but it's nothing spectacular. They each have features that the other one lacks, and though I prefer Deluxe Paint I wouldn't say that one of them is superior to the other.
Old 06 April 2009, 08:10   #44
kriz

You should use more than only one software.. Try them all and use whats good in them.
Old 06 April 2009, 08:32   #45
vodley
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
You should use more than only one software.. Try them all and use whats good in them.
That's what my Amiga work-style was about, keeping the apps open, flipping through the screens to access apps for their individual desired features and strengths. Amiga creativity, for me, infers that modular approach, not just a good app.
Old 06 April 2009, 18:21   #46
J.Tramiel

Forget all them Amiga and PC graphics bollocks -

OCP Art Studio on teh Speccy is where it's at...

Just check out them features - it's even Kempston Joystick compatible!

BOOYAKASHA!
Old 25 April 2009, 10:15   #47
eskildsen

A few other infos ;-)

Hello

Ill just list a few of the Paint programs / etc, that i used over the course of time, when i had an amiga, which was from 1987 - stopped using around 1999 but still have my old trusty A4000T with CSPPC and Vlab Motion ;-) (just now installed in a new Lian Li V1110B case ;-)

Paint / Animation programs:

Deluxe Paint 1-5 first paint program
Photon Paint 1-2 first paint program to support HAM
Digi Paint 1-3 also supporting HAM
Brilliance 1-2 - similar to Deluxe paint, but more focus on painting than the animation of Deluxe paint
Personal Paint
Disney Animation Studio - catoonish animation focus with cells

With Specific hardware:
DCTV Paint paint program to support 262144 colors via a hardware addon
TV Paint - paint program used in conjunction with Video Toaster hardware, afaik.

Image manipulation programs (professional suites)
The Art Department 1-2
- Morph Plus - morphing software to be used with TAD - better than most other morph software released

Image FX 1-4

and then there were

Scala (presentations)
art expression
and many others ...

Also, i took a look at google and viola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_p...ivity_software

if you read through that one, there are a lot of things i have forgotten to write, or simply didnt know existed

here is one particular quote from that text :
"Comics and Cartoons

Comic Setter was an interesting tools to create printed comics by arranging brushes representing comic characters, joining it with background images and superimposing it the right frames and "ballons" with their own text speech and captions. It could then print in color the comics that were created.

Disney Animation Studio was one of the most powerful 2D programs for realizing cartoons. Born on Amiga, this program, equipped also with a complete cell-frame preview feature was used by many cartoon studios worldwide at its age, and it is still used by some several studios in Europe[1] as an useful preview tool."

So, for your case, Comic Setter would probably be a good idea!

I knew about Disneys animation studio, and have used it to a smaller degree. I previously used Deluxe Paint a lot, and also Image FX, Art Department, and Movie Shop.

All the Best ;-)

/eskildsen

Old 25 April 2009, 18:05   #48
Predabot

Thanks for the info Eskildsen.

Comic Setter seems to me to be more of a program used for stuff like lettering, and not quite the usage that I intend to do.
I'm more interested in things like layers, brushes, and the ability to adjust colours.
Old 26 April 2009, 00:01   #49
InTheSand

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Tramiel View Post
OCP Art Studio on teh Speccy is where it's at...
Bah... OCP Art Studio? WAAAY too modern! What you really want is Melbourne Draw!

Can't believe I used to use this (only for messing around with) - a one-pixel wide cursor, no brushes, keyboard up/down/left/right controls only, and having to live with the Speccy's good old colour clash (1 foreground/background combination per 8x8 pixel block). Ah, the good old days!

- Ali
Old 29 April 2009, 15:39   #50
khph_re

Just to add my two pence

I still use Dpaint and PPaint under emulation in a profesional games studio,
mainly Wii and DS games. Their good for direct pixel pushing, and PPaint has great colour reduction tools. But for true colour try another package. (Pro motion is the PC equivelant of these tools on windows, we use that as well).
They are also good for palette control and colour cycling, which is still used on the DS today. Oh, and shaped fills are nice too.

Brilliance is good as well, I think it had a true colour version as well?

For true colour (retro fun) I still like photogenics. It was a sweet program, Image effects too.

For publishing, and bringing it all together I still really like Pagestream.
Anyway, I really respect Predabots ambition, good luck!

P.S. Does anyone remember the vector animation program fantavision?
that was cool back in the day.

Anyway, I've tried to upload a pic form our latest game, you might recognise the hardware in it!

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MBEYNO%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compdesk1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	21186  
Old 29 April 2009, 23:12   #51
Predabot

Khph_RE: VERY interesting! So in a sense, there are still Amigas used for game-production, to this very day!

Thanks for the tips and low-downs man.

And I'm going to assume the comp on that desk is an A2000, right? The first towerized Amiga, if I recall correctly? ^^

Last edited by Predabot; 30 April 2009 at 01:48.
Old 29 April 2009, 23:32   #52
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
Anyway, I've tried to upload a pic form our latest game, you might recognise the hardware in it!
Is there a purpose for the isometric perspective to be crooked on the verticals???

Predabot: A200? what the fuck are you babbling on about?
Old 30 April 2009, 01:48   #53
Predabot

I forgot a 0, it would appear...And apparently A2000 was not the first towerized Amiga, but the A3000T was. Bummer. :\

Also: What the fuck is up with the cursing?
Old 30 April 2009, 06:14   #54
Amiga1992

Cursing spices life the fuck up, as you have noticed!
There were no A2000 towers and the on e in the pic is a 4000T probably
Old 30 April 2009, 10:17   #55
khph_re

Akira: Yeah, it's an A4000T
And as for the isometrics, it's a 'User View' grab from 3D studio max, the object is 3D.

It's only the texture work that came out of Amiga packages.

And we were not given much texture ram to work with per object...still at least you guessed which Amiga it was!

We used to use lightwave, that old Amiga stalwart, but now we use max (which came off the Atari ST, damn it!)

EDIT: Here are some great pixel links, a lot of these guys either did, or still do, use amiga's for fun:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/ (also good resource for low colour WB backdrops)
http://www.henknieborg.nl/

I used to work with this guy, he's very talented:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/13995.htm

Last edited by khph_re; 30 April 2009 at 10:23.
Old 10 June 2009, 23:59   #56
DH
Global Moderator

I've got to jump in here and listen to some cursing

Today I installed ....... wait for it............DPaintV *ducks quicky*

Maybe you are wondering why would a Photoshop CS2/3/4 user want to use a program like this, I here you lot asking yourselves. Well the nostalgia for one, as this proggy was my favourite paint package (I used to have Photon Paint too, anyone remember that one), the second, I'm trying to manipulate stuff from an .adf and the easiest way was to use WinUAE and Dpaint.

Other than that there is absolutely no reason for me to use it. I now think I'll move the stuff off the .adf and edit it in Photoshop, re-save it as an .Iff, load it into Dpaint and re-save it out as a Brush, as this is the format I have to use, which can't be done with Photoshop.

I havent got the fogiest idea how to use DPaint anymore and I ain't going to even contemplate trying to learn it again. Photoshop ftw! I say

Of course, I still may need to ask the odd question here and there regarding DPaint, it just depends on what I need to do.
Old 11 June 2009, 04:44   #57
Echo

Ok beat this!

I'm a bit picky with films like, and one had a compression glitch through ~100 frames in the credits. Having no alternate copy, I screendumped before and after the glitch, pasted em in Dpaint 4 and used move to recreate the scrolling.

The result after batch image export/conversion and remuxing through Virtualdub was seamless.

Go Dpaint
Old 11 June 2009, 09:25   #58
vodley
Zone Friend

Bravo, Echo!
Old 16 June 2009, 08:53   #59
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo View Post
Ok beat this!

I'm a bit picky with films like, and one had a compression glitch through ~100 frames in the credits. Having no alternate copy, I screendumped before and after the glitch, pasted em in Dpaint 4 and used move to recreate the scrolling.

The result after batch image export/conversion and remuxing through Virtualdub was seamless.

Go Dpaint
*beats the quoted text with a stick*

*whistles innocently*
Old 16 July 2009, 23:59   #60
JrasicMark

I have ComicSetter I agree, it definitely would not help with what you want to do. It's really made for creating comics with pre-existing comics clip art backgrounds, figures and sound effects. It does have some paint tools in it so you can paint your own costumes on the clip art figures, but I'm not sure you could open your own graphics and color them. You can set word balloons, but the default font seems to be like Courier and you can't select another font, so I would say it really wouldn't be best for lettering, either.
What you're doing sounds very interesting. I'd love to see the finished product!