English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 August 2006, 19:46   #1
Andypoos

Purchase a kick up disk

I've just downloaded an Amiga Emulator in the hope of rekindling my youth and going on a nostalgia trip playing old Amiga games only to find out I need purchase a kick start disk! Trying to make profit from existing Amiga users is just LOW.

I have an Amiga 500 which I bought circa 1989 with 200 odd games and stil have somewhere in the loft. Why should I have to pay for anything? I don't know how to use the kick start disk that came with or transfer it over on to mY PC anyway.

Is there any way around this? I don't see why I should pay just to play a few old games.
Old 14 August 2006, 19:48   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Welcome to EAB! Be careful with the Amiga nostalgia trip, it can get very addictive!

Why should you get Kickstarts or Workbench for free?
There are many coders writing software and many companies still producing hardware for the Amiga. It is not an abandonware system, and as such its OS and ROMs are not Public Domain.

Last edited by DDNI; 14 August 2006 at 19:57.
Old 14 August 2006, 20:04   #3
Andypoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI
Welcome to EAB! Be careful with the Amiga nostalgia trip, it can get very addictive!

Why should you get Kickstarts or Workbench for free?
There are many coders writing software and many companies still producing hardware for the Amiga. It is not an abandonware system, and as such its OS and ROMs are not Public Domain.
Thank you for the welcome. I understand what you are saying, however, I only intend to use an Amiga emulator on my PC to play games 15 years old. Surely the copyright is with the companys who wrote the games, not with the Amiga and besides I OWN an Amiga 500.

I don't intend to buy any new software for the amiga emulator and if I did then I would naturally pay for it.

This just isn't right.
Old 14 August 2006, 20:09   #4
RetroMan

Ok, then you can do it the hard way, just read out the Rom of your A500 and you can use it for free in the emulator
Old 14 August 2006, 20:12   #5
Andypoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Ok, then you can do it the hard way, just read out the Rom of your A500 and you can use it for free in the emulator
When you say "read out the rom" what exactly do you mean? Bear in mind I haven't used my Amiga 500 for probably 10 years or more. Its packed in a box and out of reach round my parents' house.

Let's say I could get it, do I take down a serial number from the the side of the computer?

TIA
Old 14 August 2006, 20:22   #6
RetroMan

No, you have to find a way to transfer a prog called TRANSROM onto real Amiga Floppy, then you have to "network" your PC with your Amiga (Nullmodem Cable) and THEN you can read out the rom and transfer it to your PeCe

Anyway, if you want it cheap and fast, get a copy of AMIGA CLASSIX from Magnussoft, surely there are some on EBay, they are really cheap and you get Kickroms on that CD ready for use
Old 14 August 2006, 20:22   #7
petza

u dont need a serial number buddy
Old 14 August 2006, 20:26   #8
petza

Quote:
No, you have to find a way to transfer a prog called TRANSROM onto real Amiga Floppy, then you have to "network" your PC with your Amiga (Nullmodem Cable) and THEN you can read out the rom and transfer it to your PeCe

Anyway, if you want it cheap and fast, get a copy of AMIGA CLASSIX from Magnussoft, surely there are some on EBay, they are really cheap and you get Kickroms on that CD ready for use

i used a network cable to get my cool mods over to my naff pee wee

ive never heard a single good tune on the poo wee

he has a miggy and workbench someone should send him the rom he should not have to pay twice
Old 14 August 2006, 20:30   #9
Andypoos

Quote:

Right, I'm not happy about this but I will do that. I don't see why I should though in principle. Thanks for the help.

PS Petza can you not send me stupid emails please. I get enough crap through my email as it is. Thanks.
Old 14 August 2006, 20:36   #10
petza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andypoos
Right, I'm not happy about this but I will do that. I don't see why I should though in principle. Thanks for the help.

PS Petza can you not send me stupid emails please. I get enough crap through my email as it is. Thanks.
lol
Old 14 August 2006, 21:04   #11
kriz

Hehe check your PM, or just do some googling.. I found it in max 2 minutes
Old 14 August 2006, 21:05   #12
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Without getting into a debate... look at it this way Andypoos. You add up how much you spent on purchasing your A500 all those years ago, then add up every single game/hardware, etc. you've bought.... lost track? Works out to a fair bit! I've been there and I nearly gave myself a heart attack at just the rough estimate!

Now its 2006, and you either "extract" the ROM from your A500 (as RetroMan pointed out), but you are then limited to games for the A500.... or for a measly sum, buy the copyright kickstart ROMS (every one in existance for EVERY Amiga produced) required within Amiga emulators and then have access to 5500 and more games/pd/demos/applications/music, etc, etc. for FREE.

Admittedly, I was surprised as you were when I had to "buy" the kickstart ROMS but when you put everything in perspective and work out what you spent years ago and to what you have to spend now to get your hands on all those free classics.... I rest my case. btw, I still have an A1200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andypoos
I don't intend to buy any new software for the amiga emulator and if I did then I would naturally pay for it.
Fair point. You can still buy games, through the likes of eBay, even within eab>marketplace, etc. Heck, you can even transfer all the free games (adfs) on the internet back to disk to play on your real Amiga A500.

Anyhow, the above is just my own opinion. As RetroMan has pointed out, there are cheap CDs around that have Kickstart ROMS on them to get you started. As for emulating the Amiga, the reliabilty of WinUAE has gone from strength to strength and is so much more stable now (I've no complaints!). Someone on EAB is always on hand to answer any questions, queries, etc. you may have.

btw, I'd be very interested in your list of 200 games.... you could be a major contributor to the Hall of Light (Amiga database) if you have some rare gems!

Hope all goes well.
Old 14 August 2006, 21:12   #13
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz
Hehe check your PM, or just do some googling.. I found it in max 2 minutes
Kriz yes we can all google for copies of the roms. That however does not get away from the fact that they are copyright.

EAb rules http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=eab..._ks_wb_faqitem
Old 14 August 2006, 21:17   #14
Andypoos

I do see the point in selling a kick start ROM to play the higher end Amiga games and the advantage of playing them on the Amiga itself, but I'm still not easy with it. But there you go.

I would be interested in sharing some thoughts, stories, anecdotes over those old classic Amiga games. My personal favourites are Evira: Mistress of The Dark, Evira II, Waxworks, Dungeon Master, Populas, Civilization to name but a few! I haven't really looked too deeply into this site so maybe we can swap some stories or something when I get this damn Kick boot disk thingy
Old 14 August 2006, 21:22   #15
kriz

google for buying it ofcourse