English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 January 2017, 16:09   #21
Amiga4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
I'm very sorry. I've had maybe 25 years resentment over something that wasn't even anything to do with the Amiga. It was Future that banned me from tinkering with such things. I can't help noticing a great big hole in the CBM history marked "Amiga Network". That's my choice partly, but NOT at the time, and maybe me Aminet and the Amiga just had to evolve anyway.

Plus I'm potentially in a big bucket of trouble right now, and it's pretty hectic from all sorts of angles. Happens to everybody from time to time. Don't want to talk about that stuff, and past connections and disconnections are something I'm dealing with as an avoidance measure, maybe.

Again I say sorry and I'll wind my neck in generally. wot network Pat? Exactly.
You're drunk, go to bed.
Old 09 January 2017, 16:19   #22
Zeph

I went straight for roadshow after trying the demo. Requires a bit of knowledge of unix like networking but pretty straightforward, would be nice if there was a GUI!
Old 10 January 2017, 04:21   #23
modrobert
old bearded fool

AmiTCP v3.0b2 works fine, been using it for years. Tested OK and stable with AmIRC against several servers, AmiFTP against EAB ftp server, Dopus copying over SMBFS: assign, iBrowse to read and post here on the EAB forum (try the "Mobile skin" for faster page loads)...all at the same time under AmigaOS 3.1 if you have 8MB fast RAM or more.

This was the "free" AmiTCP release just before 4.x turned final:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/AmiTCP-bin-30b2

Step-by-step installation guide:

http://web.archive.org/web/201605111...itcp/index.htm

If you need to connect to a modern Windows (7, 8, 10) or Samba box, try SMBFS:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ami...smbfs%201.102/

If it's Windows XP or old version of Samba, use the older SMBFS version 1.74 on aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/smbfs-68k

SMBFS is a great tool for AmigaOS, after connecting to a Windows share you get the SMBFS: assign which be used in Dopus or whatever.

If you need any help with specific problems just ask.

Last edited by modrobert; 10 January 2017 at 04:58.
Old 11 January 2017, 20:00   #24
Sephnroth

anddddddd FIXED.

I spent some time conversing with the guys at amikit and they requested I tried installing the network card using their floppy disk - they gave me an ADF version to facilitate that (as I have no floppy drive and I suspect most people who had same issues did not either).

Everything just immediately started working after reinstalling the card from it. The 3com driver on aminet seems to be no good for the easynet PCMCIA card for some reason (its a 3com one so!) despite the fact it claims full success and the hardware reports its working. Literally didnt even reinstall EasyNet or change my network settings, just switched driver and boom everything worked.

I have asked for permission to distribute their ADF on aminet etc to help other people having the same issue - I can't see why they wouldnt allow it as its just a driver but I will wait for the go ahead first. Failing that anyone who owns easynet and has the issues I described you can always raise a support ticket and ask for the adf

I am still having one problem and its with the apl browser, it crashes with a "waiting for disk activity" or some such message if I try and load google, aminet, etc. however it didnt crash loading a page from my local webserver on the network.. though that page literally just says "Hello World." I want to install iBrowse anyway so I'm not too bothered XD
Old 12 January 2017, 10:51   #25
Daedalus

Excellent news! Glad it worked like that - that's how it should have gone first time round, despite the doom and gloom predictions of some people. I guess AmigaKit have a different driver and different chipset in the cards they sell. I would have thought the driver would be an obvious one for them to allow freely, but if there's more Easynet stuff on the floppy I would expect them to be a little protective of it.

I have two A1200s that I use both wired and wireless PCMCIA network cards in, and swapping them is as simple as selecting the appropriate driver and connecting. No sacrificing chickens or voodoo involved.

Is it the AWeb APL browser you're trying to use? I think there are different executables for different CPUs - check to make sure you have the right one installed, maybe reinstall it. I use that on my classic machines and it works quite well, but things like datatypes can need an FPU which your machine doesn't have, and that can result in a crash. So make sure you use the 020 version of AWeb, and that your datatypes are all 020, non-FPU versions (opening the different image types in Multiview will test that they work).