English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 January 2011, 02:25   #101
seuden
uber cool demi god

Keep up the good work Dreedo!! You can add to your list of emulators the one for Xbox, WinUAEX.
Old 10 January 2011, 02:38   #102
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm not reading this whole thread, but the Amiga A4000 could read and write to HD disks, I think it was the only Amiga to get a HD floppy drive.
Old 10 January 2011, 10:56   #103
Dreedo

Quote:
Keep up the good work Dreedo!! You can add to your list of emulators the one for Xbox, WinUAEX.
Thanks

Quote:
I'm not reading this whole thread, but the Amiga A4000 could read and write to HD disks, I think it was the only Amiga to get a HD floppy drive.
Thanks, can't believe i forgot about that.

Total users went to 17 yesterday, somehow its already at 19 today.

UPDATE: Changed the 1mb hd compat. list so the column displaying the game name is now coloured reflecting the status of the game:

Green: Working, perfectly or with minor issues.

Yellow: Boots, but something either stops play or hinders it.

Red: Game does not boot.

UPDATE#2: Todays users up to 31!

Last edited by Dreedo; 10 January 2011 at 13:34.
Old 10 January 2011, 19:14   #104
amigapd

Just wanted to offer words of encouragement to Dreedo - I started my website just a few months ago and it has been very rewarding and I have learnt a lot in the process - here are some tips to help you develop the site:

Think what is the unique aspect of your website why would people go to your site and not other sites - my site focuses amiga public domain games (www.amigapd.com) as these tend to be forgotten by other sites which just focus mainly on commercial games e.g. lemon amiga + HOL although recently there has been an increase of focus on public domain games by these sites.

Include a comments textbox or polls on your website to get feedback - this helped me to focus attention on reviews and videos rather than disk images which was how the site started.

Have a reason for users to return to your website - I write monthly reviews of public domain games that I have played the previous month.
Network - I have mentioned my website on other forums - using a tracking system you can see which forums are most interested in your site - EAB is top for my website followed by Amigaworld and then Lemon Amiga
Engage in forum posts which link to your website e.g. I try to reply to posts about public domain games.

Learn about search engines - have you registered your website with the main search engines e.g. Google and bling - this helps users find your site quickly by typing in key words - as your popularity increases your website should increase in the return page.

Don't be affraid to keep your website simple in design - mine uses a simple blue and white (amiga colours) but doesn't have lots of images and animations -

Consider your navigation - do you have breadcrumbs showing the user how they got to their current page and how to return to the previous page.

Don't be put off by negative comments - unfortunately there will always be one person who is eager to criticise - remember all the wonderful sites we use had to start from humble beginnings. The two questions I think you need to focus on to improve the site is what is unique about the site and why will people want to return each week?
Old 10 January 2011, 19:18   #105
Dreedo

Thanks, some good advice there I'll think about it.
Old 10 January 2011, 20:19   #106
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Have you submitted your site to Google yet?
Old 10 January 2011, 21:03   #107
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Hey Dreedo,

Nobody answered your question about templates, I for one think the 1st one is by far superiors to the other, and the one you currently have installed is probably the worst

That's my taste at least. I admit I like dark but the 1st one is the closest out of the three to a "retro" theme.
Old 10 January 2011, 21:51   #108
Dreedo

@Galahad, no i havent had a chance yet, been busy all day.

@NostalGeek, thanks, given up hope that anyone would look at that. I won't be touching the template for a while, more concerned with the content at the moment.

50 Unique users today, only another 11 to beat the record for most users in a day, and that was way back on March 16th, the sites launch day.

I've been thinking of themes, at the moment the idea i'm warming too is a site which has lists of Amiga products and their prices ect. Basically i wanted to make a site for someone like me, who hasn't got a lot of money to spend and wants to get the most out of what they have, and advice on how to proceed with upgrading ect.

Any thoughts on the theme?

Last edited by Dreedo; 10 January 2011 at 22:30.
Old 10 January 2011, 23:56   #109
amigapd

I was thinking you might want to do an amiga version of racketboy's website which focuses on game consoles - I use that site to read reviews of hidden gems (games which were good but people weren't aware off) I also think the site did stuff on the hardware

http://www.racketboy.com/guide

Alternatively you might want your website to focus on a series of beginners guides e.g. which amiga to buy, which upgrade to buy, how to transfer disks from pc to amiga - how to transfer 3.5 disks to harddrive - basic commands -

You could include a comments box for visitors to leave requests e.g. how do I create an ADF image and then your website would be responding to users needs. Once you do that your visitors will increase - my website started on 30 visitors but now gets an average 100 per day and if there is a post on a forum it can go to 400+ - the other thing to consider is page views - this gives you an idea of how many pages the visitors are visiting and which ones are the most popular which helps you to expand those areas.

In terms of the templates I think you want one that looks more computerish - the templates don't say commodore or amiga- a simple two colour site (red and white from the checked ball demo) but with Amiga 600 pictures would tie in with the theme. Have a look at other amiga websites (e.g. lemon amiga ) to see how they use amiga colours or images to link to their content.

Also think about you website creator you are using - for a free website I would recommend Weebly.com as it is simple drag and drop and you have unlimited storage space - it also easy to embed video and pictures - If you can experience of html and Css you can alter the fonts and style of the website as well.

Last edited by amigapd; 11 January 2011 at 00:00. Reason: to provide extra advice relating to website providers
Old 11 January 2011, 00:00   #110
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
Alternatively you might want your website to focus on a series of beginners guides e.g. which amiga to buy, which upgrade to buy, how to transfer disks from pc to amiga - how to transfer 3.5 disks to harddrive - basic commands -
I'd say that's a good idea. Those questions pop up quite frequently and with the option to leave comments this could make a good addition to the existing sites.
Old 11 January 2011, 00:23   #111
Dreedo

Yeah basic, i like the sound of that. :P

Lots going on in my life at the moment, but hopefully i can start off something soon, thanks a lot for the detailed replies.

UPDATE: Site record broken for number of users in a day, previous was 61, so far today is 65.

Last edited by Dreedo; 11 January 2011 at 01:28.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:36   #112
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
Hey Dreedo,

Nobody answered your question about templates, I for one think the 1st one is by far superiors to the other, and the one you currently have installed is probably the worst

That's my taste at least. I admit I like dark but the 1st one is the closest out of the three to a "retro" theme.
I would agree - the template used is not always the one you like the most yourself but the one which links best to the content of the website - I would say number 1 links best to an amiga website / professional / business theme and number 3 links best to a personal website / blog .
Old 25 January 2011, 12:57   #113
retro-play

Looks good, will keep a check on your Website for updates, all the best

Old 02 February 2011, 13:07   #114
Dreedo

Dont have access to the internet due to being away from home for at least the next 2 months, so no updates til April at least. Sorry guys.
Old 27 February 2011, 11:01   #115
Dreedo

Might be able to update every now and then between now and then i get more access to a PC. So should be irregular updates from now til April.
Old 30 March 2011, 12:41   #116
Dreedo

Site celebrated its 1st anniversary 2 weeks ago, on the 16th of March.

Oddly enough, the 16th and 17th of March were the only 2 days in March noone visited. :P I totally forgot about it. Anyway i changed title a bit, added a tutorial page which is probably going to become a big headache. So enjoy.

EDIT: Also added a mobile version of the site for iPhone and Android. Just access the site normally on your mobile device and you should be re-directed to a more suitable web page.

Last edited by Dreedo; 30 March 2011 at 13:15.
Old 30 March 2011, 13:34   #117
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Site celebrated its 1st anniversary 2 weeks ago, on the 16th of March.

Oddly enough, the 16th and 17th of March were the only 2 days in March noone visited. :P I totally forgot about it. Anyway i changed title a bit, added a tutorial page which is probably going to become a big headache. So enjoy.

EDIT: Also added a mobile version of the site for iPhone and Android. Just access the site normally on your mobile device and you should be re-directed to a more suitable web page.
So you back online now?
Never got round to sorting stuff out for you, .
Old 30 March 2011, 14:15   #118
Dreedo

No worries FOL.
Anyway somethings up IRL so get back on later. :/