English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 December 2001, 14:07   #1
Big-Byte
Long time member

Warez scene busted!!!

Its all over the news.. Lots of little 'warez kiddies' shitting themselves now I bet :laugh :laugh

Read the news at www.bbc.co.uk/news
and then the forumns at isonews.com.

I like to go there as some of the news is interesting but Ive never been bothered to join in. (d/l 650meg on a 56k modem killed my interest from the start)

Anyway.....
Do you think this will affect the Emulation scene? After all it IS piracy no matter how old the games are.
Old 12 December 2001, 14:53   #2
Drake1009

Well I'm sure it'll affect something.

I was thinking of going to The Party this year, but after the recent raid of a netparty (which I didn't go to though my mother tried to make me go) whereafter all participants got a nice piece of paper with a letter telling them to fill in how many illegal things they had on their computer and send it back before dec 1 so they could get a settlement or they would drag the people who they had evidence on to court I somewhat lost my interest in going this year.

Maybe in a year or two.
Old 12 December 2001, 15:36   #3
birdy-scc
Banned

full link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/wor...00/1705436.stm

Quote:
"police in the UK made six arrests on charges of
conspiracy to defraud. "
Ha ha ha. They must be in England, because in Scotland there is no fraud unless you imply the product is original.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, (corporate sKum!)
Old 12 December 2001, 15:45   #4
oldpx

That's bad news but warez will go on

Old 12 December 2001, 19:51   #5
TikTok

Reminds me of the old days when there were high profile busts of cracking groups. Nothing changes it seems .
Old 12 December 2001, 22:16   #6
LaundroMat

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009
Well I'm sure it'll affect something.

I was thinking of going to The Party this year, but after the recent raid of a netparty (which I didn't go to though my mother tried to make me go) ...
Erm, I don't mean to be intruding in your private life, but why did you mother want you to go?
Old 12 December 2001, 23:04   #7
Drake1009

Because she thought I needed to get out of the house and do something with my break from school.

Luckily for me she kind of forgot.
Old 14 December 2001, 03:29   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

This is more like an endless loop..

The cops bust a few crackers, they show service and scare most people. Then the dust goes down, crackers start to appear again, it gets out of control, and the cops do the same again.
Old 14 December 2001, 15:08   #9
Drake1009

They didn't even go for the distributors when they raided the netparty I was thinking of. They were just trying to nail as many end users as possible and scaring the sh*t out of people.
Old 16 December 2001, 12:42   #10
coffeedotbean

Im to lazy to download warez on my 56k... your always missing something with warez though, like cut scenes, High res textures, Music, Speech etc. and you dont usually get access to Multiplayer, my mate was pissed when he got Q3 on warez and couldn't play multiplayer :.smile

But IMHO he didnt miss must as Q3 MP is rather shite unless you got cable or better.

Old 16 December 2001, 13:24   #11
oldpx

You lose a lot if you go for ripped games, Try ISO cd's. If they are ever released again

Old 17 December 2001, 23:46   #12
poppe

Send a message via ICQ to poppe
the thing is..

..for me it is this retro/abandoned scene that keeps the amiga scene alive. Im not here for emulation i´m here couse it feels like home. Like in the good old days when every kid had an amiga and everyone wanted to make there own games and there was alot of super ideas of what a game or program should/could do. I think this spark is gone now on all the new systems. There is nothing on the pc that makes me warm as a good old tracker on the amiga, or music line editor, ahx, dopus, ,dpaint, turrican II..

The retro scene has to stay alive. No one can make me see it as piracy (and I think no one should see it as piracy), it´s more like pretty advanced lifesupport.
Old 18 December 2001, 14:45   #13
jb2097

Big-Byte: Downloading ISO from ISONews??? You're the best man.. there is not a lone little links to warez on ISONews.. read carefully: NEWS, this is an infos site only.

Well... I don't want to defend warez but imagine... I come from a very poor social class and my first passion is CG (3D mainly). I started learning 3D using pirated softwares (LightWave mainly). Now I'm a 3D operator, I own an official license for LightWave so it is a real problem? Did Newtek lose any money off me? without warez I should not have bought Lightwave.

I think it's really different compared to someone who will d/l an ISO game and claim that if the game is ok then he 'may' buy it... Obviously nobody will buy a game if he already have the same version as the original one for free.

Life is not only in Black & White, Good or Bad... In fact we are never as good or as bad we think we are. Got me on that point?

Old 18 December 2001, 15:15   #14
poppe

Send a message via ICQ to poppe
of course..

..warez fills a function in many ways. But in the discussion about retro and emu scene i don´t think i could even for a second imaging regardning it as piracy. I think these people should be proud of their creatings, not many games can be played over and over again and still, 10 years after, still be played with the same joy.

I agree with jb2097 about the expensive software out there. I don´t think the companies really loose alot of money on it. The ones that use the copies are often those who never would have bought the program anyway. It´s like a blackmarket of demosoftware...
Old 18 December 2001, 15:22   #15
Drake1009

JB : I think it's really different compared to someone who will d/l an ISO game and claim that if the game is ok then he 'may' buy it... Obviously nobody will buy a game if he already have the same version as the original one for free.

Well I don't know about that. I've done that a couple of times. And I don't download many PC games.
Old 18 December 2001, 15:53   #16
oldpx

JB, I agree. Even today nearly none of the games ever released make it in Turkey. If I order them from amazon or any other online dealer I'll have to pay a large amount of shipping price which is always more than the original value of the game. If I buy them here, I'll be buying the same pirated version from the guy at the corner and I would be actually paying for warez which I would never do. I can find everything for approximately 2 dollars here and have no problems with law and considering the impossibility of getting a legal version I have two options left:

a-buying a warez cd.
b-getting it from the net.

Things would be different if I was living in UK. Actually the whole idea behind copyright is flawed. It doesn't work on all the countries the same way. Chinese can get anything for 2 dollars and it's not illegal there and you are torturing yourself about not using a pirated version. There are people who have no other choice!

Old 18 December 2001, 22:10   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

My views on (current) software are very much the same as they are on music mp3's: I try it first and if I like it, I buy it. Simple as that. I can afford software and music. But what I can't afford is to toss my money out for bad software/games or CD's that only have one or two good songs. In the case of some bands, I will buy their CD if I only have four or five mp3's and they have the same consistency. The only way I can keep getting the music and software I like is to support it.

\\addendum
Oh yeah...there is always the price point, too. All too often, these products ream the buyer, so I think they get what they deserve from pirates. Fair is fair and everybody knows when the price point is gouging the consumer.
Old 20 December 2001, 00:59   #18
DPainter

It's a retro flashback moment!

THE BIG HARD ONE oO-NFA WHQ-Oo 0116 2661610
DOWN AND OUT oO-NFA UKHQ-Oo 0192 5234981

This is part of the ever growing NFA Empire.

MAJOR BUST IN LEICESTER ON 29/06/95

THE WHEELIE WARRIOR (TWW) OF PHOENIX ELITE WAS RAIDED BY ELSPA AND VICE
SQUAD OFFICERS WHO SIEZED TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS WORTH OF HARDWARE, ALSO
PIRATE CD'S TO THE VALUE OF TWO THOUSAND POUNDS WERE SIEZED.

THE LEICESTER VICE SQUAD AND "THE JOCK FROM HELL" (ELSPA'S REPRESENTATIVE)
SPENT SEVERAL HOURS PACKING UP ALL THE EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE, THE TOTAL
VALUE OF THE HAUL IS SAID TO RUN INTO TENS OF THOUSANDS OF POUNDS. THE
MAIN CONCERN AND REASON FOR THIS TEXT FILE IS THAT ELSPA SIEZED DOZENS OF
PAGES OF DOCUMENTATION INCLUDING ADDRESS BOOKS, FAX'ES, ORDERS, INVOICES,
JIFFYS, LETTERS AND MANY OTHER FORMS OF EVIDENCE THAT COULD BE USED FOR
EVIDENCE TO GET WARRENTS.

IF YOU HAVE A SUPPLIER OF CD'S THE CHANCES ARE HE HAS DEALT WITH THIS MAN
AND IS IN DANGER OF A VISIT, PLEASE WARN YOUR CUTTERS THAT JIM ALIAS THE
WHEELIE WARRIOR FROM LEICESTER HAS BEEN BUSTED.

THIS FILE WAS WRITTON BY DECK THE RIPPER OF NFA ON BEHALF OF THE WHEELIE
WARRIOR TO WARN HIS MANY FRIENDS WHO MAY BE IN DANGER. YOU MAY UPLOAD PRE
WRITTON MESSAGES TO JIM ON THE BIG HARD ONE BBS, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO POINT
OUT THIS IS A PUBLIC DOMAIN BBS AND HAS NO CONNECTION WITH CD'S OR PIRACEY
IN ANYWAY, ALTHOUGH ID JUST LIKE TO SAY HIP HIP HORAY FOR PIRACEY HAHA.

THE BIG HARD ONE oO-NFA WHQ-Oo 0116 2661610
DOWN AND OUT oO-NFA UKHQ-Oo 0192 5234981

This is part of the ever growing NFA Empire.