English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 June 2019, 12:20   #141
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by funK View Post
What do you mean by "disabling the caches"? Disabling them in the Early Boot Menu is not an option, since I'm running the game from Workbench.
I don't know the version of RR I'm playing, but since it's the one found on cd of the Signature Edition I assume it's v1.0?
As for my system, I've got a BlizzPPC running latest MuLib 68060.library from ThoR, I can make a video of the glitches to better show you my situation, if it helps.
I see. So it´s not 68060, which RESHOOT R is tested on and should work fine, but PPC. I never tried on such a configuration, due to lack of a turbocard. Got no experience whatsoever, sorry. Anyone else around here who knows what trickery would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
IIRC, the shell command CPU allows you to turn off the caches as well. Maybe that helps?
Exactly. You need to open a shell (Menu Workbench/Execute command", then type in "shell" or "cli", then type in "cpu nocaches" or "cpu060 nocaches" or "cpu ?" to see all available options. On classic configs upto 060, the game takes care of caches itself. But maybe in the case of ppc some other wizardry is needed.
Old 13 June 2019, 14:17   #142
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
On classic configs upto 060, the game takes care of caches itself. But maybe in the case of ppc some other wizardry is needed.
I have no BPPC myself, but I know that Phase5 installed a ROM on these boards, which loads and initializes 68060.library and ppc.library very early in the boot process. So there might be special MMU and cache setups which are causing problems, not the PPC.

I remember that my games also had problems on very few and specific A1200/060 setups, although they are starting with a trackloader out of the boot block. The solution was to set up 060 caches and MMU myself (basically switching off the MMU and using the Transparent Translation registers).
Old 13 June 2019, 21:35   #143
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
I see. So it´s not 68060, which RESHOOT R is tested on and should work fine, but PPC.
He said BlizzPPC, so it's a classic machine with a Blizzard card (which has dual PPC and a 060 on board), if I understood correctly.
Old 13 June 2019, 23:45   #144
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
He said BlizzPPC, so it's a classic machine with a Blizzard card (which has dual PPC and a 060 on board), if I understood correctly.
Just checked at http://amiga.resource.cx/expde/blizzardppc: The BlizzPPC seems to contain a RISC-CPU plus 68040 or 68060, but could also be ordered with no 68k cpu onboard. All are classic turboboards for internal installation at the A1200s trapdoor expansion port.

According to this description, one keypress is sufficient to disable the board.
Old 13 June 2019, 23:59   #145
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
so to be clear between the PURE & SIGNATURE packaging...does the SIGNATURE come with extra soundtracks that can be chosen to play simultaneously within the game itself or is the extra soundtrack a CD with new music/songs

bump
Old 14 June 2019, 00:14   #146
buzzybee

@klx300r: Thought I had already answered that ... sorry! The game runs its built-in soundtrack and does not play audio-cd. The soundtrack – which comes with the Signature Edition - is a separate audio-CD with highquality versions of all the ingame-tracks, plus varied remixes of the main track from famous guys like Patrick Nevian, German Remix Group and others.

I recommend reading Tony Aksnes review of the Signature Edition. He seems to like it. A lot :-)
Old 14 June 2019, 07:11   #147
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Reset or turn off your Amiga

In all seriousness, I couldn't work this out either... not sure that you can.

Reshoot was like this also
I think that's more honest than serious. So, it's like so many Amiga games that take over the OS, and you couldn't figure it?? Well, I think we outta call you silly and keep slappin' you.
Old 14 June 2019, 09:28   #148
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
I think that's more honest than serious. So, it's like so many Amiga games that take over the OS, and you couldn't figure it?? Well, I think we outta call you silly and keep slappin' you.
I think the first thing to do is to "slap" (to re-use your wording) the lazy coder who has allowed his game to be launched from HD - BUT - who is not allowing the player to resume his work without a computer reset after a play .

PS: The above is a general comment and concerns ALL games suffering the same weakness. I think the Amiga is the only computer where coders think nobody wants to "quit" properly a game launched from HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
[...] oh, i have noob question, how do we quit the game ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Reset or turn off your Amiga
In all seriousness, I couldn't work this out either... not sure that you can.
Reshoot was like this also
Old 14 June 2019, 13:45   #149
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
PS: The above is a general comment and concerns ALL games suffering the same weakness. I think the Amiga is the only computer where coders think nobody wants to "quit" properly a game launched from HD.
Bomb Jack Beer Edition has a quit game option that releases all resources used by the game. The guy who thought of that must be a genius.
Old 14 June 2019, 13:51   #150
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I still think that soft reset is the best solution, it is quick and solves the memory fragmentation.
Old 17 June 2019, 04:04   #151
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ buzzybee

thanks
Old 17 June 2019, 04:36   #152
Overflow

Been a longtime Patreon supporter, and just ordered the Signature Edition.

Looking forward to play this game
Old 17 June 2019, 11:49   #153
funK

Quote:
I see. So it´s not 68060, which RESHOOT R is tested on and should work fine, but PPC. I never tried on such a configuration, due to lack of a turbocard. Got no experience whatsoever, sorry. Anyone else around here who knows what trickery would work?

Exactly. You need to open a shell (Menu Workbench/Execute command", then type in "shell" or "cli", then type in "cpu nocaches" or "cpu060 nocaches" or "cpu ?" to see all available options. On classic configs upto 060, the game takes care of caches itself. But maybe in the case of ppc some other wizardry is needed.
Yes, the BlizzPPC has a genuine 68060, and trying to disable caches via CPU command does more harm than good, in that the game is even more glitched and buttons are not read properly anymore, since I'm not even able to start a new game and get stuck on the title screen.

Quote:
Just checked at http://amiga.resource.cx/expde/blizzardppc: The BlizzPPC seems to contain a RISC-CPU plus 68040 or 68060, but could also be ordered with no 68k cpu onboard. All are classic turboboards for internal installation at the A1200s trapdoor expansion port.

According to this description, one keypress is sufficient to disable the board.
Are you really implying that the only way to fix the problem is completely disable my accelerator and the additional fast ram that comes with it? Do you even realize that if I do that, I'll be left with a stock A1200 and I won't even able to boot to my Workbench anymore?
Well, that was a weird statement, but if you're not willing to look into fixing the problem, I guess I'll have just to wait hoping for someone to step in and make a proper WHDLoad patch.
Old 17 June 2019, 16:56   #154
vulture

Isn't the BPPC like the other Blizzards though? By having "2" pressed at boot, the accelerator is disabled and by holding the reset keys for about 10 seconds it's brought back to life?
Old 17 June 2019, 21:28   #155
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Also @funK, you do have workbench access even if you disable the accelerator if you boot with no startup sequence. If you do that you only need to type the location of the game and run the exe.
Old 18 June 2019, 01:52   #156
Wachi

Thumbs up

Today I received the package with the SIGNATURE edition, it is great how detailed is this package, it shows that it worked with love and effort.
In the 1200 with 030 it works very well and in the CD32 with TF330 if you start the game from the work bench too.
But if I want to start directly from the CD it makes a series of loud clicks on the sound output, once the game starts everything is fine.
Old 18 June 2019, 15:34   #157
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Are you really implying that the only way to fix the problem is completely disable my accelerator and the additional fast ram that comes with it? Do you even realize that if I do that, I'll be left with a stock A1200 and I won't even able to boot to my Workbench anymore?
Well, that was a weird statement, but if you're not willing to look into fixing the problem, I guess I'll have just to wait hoping for someone to step in and make a proper WHDLoad patch.
You really know how to motivate a developer...

Starting games from Workbench, which are not 100% OS compliant, is always a problem. Nobody knows what kind of software you are running in background. You wrote that you're running MuLib 68060.library. I hope that it doesn't conflict with the P5 68060.library, which is opened during early boot phase.

For a reproducible test case I would try to launch the game without startup-sequence (maybe just run the standard SetPatch), or with the original startup/user-startup, without any additional software patches (also clear WBStartup).
Old 18 June 2019, 21:50   #158
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
But no! How would a disrespectful patcher dare touch his brilliantly buggy code! How disrespectful! It's criminal!
Old 20 June 2019, 02:41   #159
rsn8887

IMO, it is not the job of the developer to support every exotic PowerPC 68060 configuration etc. that's not even an Amiga anymore at that point. It is some kind of hybrid/mutated thing.

Furthermore, there's no point in running this game from a fully loaded Workbench. It is an arcade game that takes over the system. You will not be able to multitask, you will have to reset afterwards. So you can make yourself a boot disk or a little startup-sequence command that loads the game when you hold R on the keyboard while booting or some such. You can include whatever cli command you have to disable the PowerPC if needed.

None of the commercial Amiga games ever cared for exotic configurations. And nobody was ever mad at those developers. If it runs on a standard A1200 that's enough in my book.

The problem with the Amiga scene is that there seems to be no standard. There are all these unique configurations, and of course nothing works everywhere. Many releases only work on expanded Amigas, some are still developed for standard Amigas. The scene is fragmented.

This hinders indie/homebrew development. I think devs should just target standard setups like A1200 2 MB, A500 512K. Maybe also A500 1MB since it is so very common.

Complaining in such a harsh tone that the game doesn't run on your unique one of a kind bizarre configuration is indeed disrespectful to the developer. Back in the day, games had stickers that told you which configuration it would run on. This is still true with new games. They are developed for a certain config (unexpanded A1200 in this case), not for every possible combination of turbocards etc. under the sun.

Last edited by rsn8887; 20 June 2019 at 02:52.
Old 20 June 2019, 12:25   #160
DamienD
Banned

Totally agree with everything you've said rsn8887.

It's absolute madness to expect developers to be able to cater for all these non-standard systems