English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2020, 10:31   #421
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
I also noticed fragments/gfx garbage on the stream.. It is quite noticable if you pay attention..
I noticed as well, but it doesn't have anything to do with whether it's played on an A500 or A1200.
Old 04 February 2020, 13:54   #422
nikosidis

Yes, I can confirm. On stock A1200 8MB fast it is smoother when happening lot on screen than A500.
Old 04 February 2020, 22:46   #423
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
[...] Have fun,
and please give me a lot of feedback here...
Michael
Hi Michael,
First of all, thank you for this demo.
After having followed your thread since the beginning, it's a pleasure to be able to give a go with Inviyya.

The grip is easy to handle and you have the choice to avoid or kill as much as you can. Gfx, animations & scrolling wise, the game is really polished. It's a real pleasure to play. Difficulty wise, this first level is easy thus making it a really nice warm-up.
Did you consider having enemies wave coming from the back to harder it a bit ?
Old 04 February 2020, 23:20   #424
qupe

It's a nice demo and shows promise, I'm not sure if a little more variety with the enemy patterns, even on the first level, may be beneficial on the first level rather the all the enemies flying straight towards you and maybe the odd turret. It's a very easy first level and doesn't really require much movement but it's definitely going in the right direction
Old 05 February 2020, 07:15   #425
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

You have to see the whole picture.
Please remember, It's the first level.

In modern game design, you ease in the first time player (also even counting a noob one) with some time to get accustomed to the controls, mechanics and general game play.

The seasoned player has the opportunity to amass points for getting an extra life at this point for later on.

I am working on a new version of the demo right now, which will feature a higher difficulty.

Looking forward hearing the complaints from the other side then...

I guess it will be somewhere inbetween in the end.
Old 05 February 2020, 14:46   #426
vroom6sri

It’s a very impressive product already. Congratulations.

Is there a limit on how long a level can be with these game engine/target hardware? The level seemed pretty short but then so does the first level is r-type.
Old 06 February 2020, 09:28   #427
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
It’s a very impressive product already. Congratulations.
Thanks, man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
Is there a limit on how long a level can be with these game engine/target hardware? The level seemed pretty short but then so does the first level is r-type.
You will run out of RAM somewhere for the level structure data at one point, and even then with the need to reuse the tiles to conserve RAM, the level would look very same-ish after a while.
That said, the levels could easily be much longer if I wanted them to be. And they were in the beginning.

I made some measurements on a typical R-Type level, and they are usually a bit shorter than my levels are. Except the first one, which is longer.

You can play through the whole of R-Types 8 levels in around 16 minutes.
Old 06 February 2020, 11:52   #428
dreadnought

Thanks a lot for actually making a demo, and that it's easily accesible on itch. I hope eventually it will be possible to buy it there too.

I'm a great shoot'em up fan, even though I've only started playing them really seriously in the last couple of years. Interestingly, I'm much better now than when I was a kid in the arcade days. I'm a big proponent of difficulty and challenge in games, and while by no means a pro, I think I can hold my own in 1CC high score attacks. Having said that, and contary to most voices here, I did not find the gampelay in your demo too easy. I thought the balance was actually quite okay for a first level. As in, you can get through without too many problems, but also need to pay attention. This is actually on par with R-Type. Few more hits needed on the boss wouldn't probably hurt though.

Overall, it's a great game so far and I'm looking forward to the complete product.
Old 06 February 2020, 11:58   #429
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Thanks for the nice words, Dreadnought...

I will release a version of the game with a few bugs squashed probably after weekend, which will also sport a much higher difficulty level. How I imagine difficulty for around level 3 or 4.

Would love to know how you think that higher difficulty level...

I need to find a feeling for a good difficulty curve.
Old 06 February 2020, 12:08   #430
MickGyver

Quote:
I will release a version of the game with a few bugs squashed probably after weekend, which will also sport a much higher difficulty level. How I imagine difficulty for around level 3 or 4.

Would love to know how you think that higher difficulty level...

I need to find a feeling for a good difficulty curve.
That will be interesting, looking forward to trying it out!
Old 06 February 2020, 12:18   #431
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
That will be interesting, looking forward to trying it out!
And I am looking forward to you guys feedback..
Old 07 February 2020, 08:03   #432
Lazycow

Thanks for the demo!
Some feedback: Graphics and SFX are solid and give you the feeling of a classic Amiga game. Nice parallax effect. Difficulty is perfect for level-1, but later levels should be more difficult. (maybe they are)

conclusion: Cool!

Some technicals:
- My CD32 is broken, but I could test it with FS-UAE. (with A1200 setup) With FS-UAE and A500/0.5 chipmem/0.5 slowmem setup it crashed at the title pic. (everything was freezing and sometimes the graphics were broken)
- It didn't stop the floppy drive motor when playing a level.
- Try increasing the enemy flash time when enemies will be hit by your weapon. (it's a bit too short, I think)
Old 07 February 2020, 10:07   #433
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazycow View Post
Thanks for the demo!
Some feedback: Graphics and SFX are solid and give you the feeling of a classic Amiga game. Nice parallax effect. Difficulty is perfect for level-1, but later levels should be more difficult. (maybe they are)

conclusion: Cool!

Some technicals:
- My CD32 is broken, but I could test it with FS-UAE. (with A1200 setup) With FS-UAE and A500/0.5 chipmem/0.5 slowmem setup it crashed at the title pic. (everything was freezing and sometimes the graphics were broken)
- It didn't stop the floppy drive motor when playing a level.
- Try increasing the enemy flash time when enemies will be hit by your weapon. (it's a bit too short, I think)
Thanks for your feedback, LazyCow...

Wonder why it crashed with that setup. I test the game all the time like this.

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 07 February 2020 at 10:43.
Old 07 February 2020, 12:04   #434
nikosidis

I see one compare first level of R-type with first level of Inviyya regarding difficulty. Maybe it is long time since you played R-type, it is way more difficult. The level length is close.
Old 07 February 2020, 12:30   #435
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Like I said, I am looking forward to your opinions regarding the difficulty of the next demo.

This time also no auto shoot.
Old 07 February 2020, 12:40   #436
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
This time also no auto shoot.

Thanks God my joypad has autofire
Old 07 February 2020, 12:56   #437
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Thanks God my joypad has autofire
That's also an interesting thing to consider..

If you make the interval to high, it's difficult because it feels stuttering if you press the button too fast, but if you make it too low autofire joysticks shoot so many bullets it overwhelms the engine.
Old 07 February 2020, 13:16   #438
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
I see one compare first level of R-type with first level of Inviyya regarding difficulty. Maybe it is long time since you played R-type, it is way more difficult.
No, funnily enough I've played it (arcade version) about a year ago in a high score competition ;) I think I rememeber it pretty well.

"Difficulty" is of course a rather relative concept. Plus R-Type is much more complex than Inviyya, it has more enemy types, power ups and stuff happening (one man homebrew team vs big experienced studio and superior hardware, so not a big surprise here). But R-Type is still quite similar in the way that it's very easy to survive if you keep your wits about you. You just need to remember a few crucial positions. And the boss can be sometimes taken out with one (1) charged shot.

If you want to talk about "easy" on Amiga, think of Agony. This game is just silly, once you get few powerups you don't even have to move much. A true snoozefest.

@Steril707 Suggestion after playing some more: I'd rather have less of the basic enemy type units but make their movement pattern more varied (sinusoid or some such) or mixed the head-on with it- if that's not too much stretch hardware wise of course. A stray bullet or two wouldn't hurt either :)

Also have observed that the first layer of the background (the colorful one) is kind of jittery, not totally smooth (on my A500 + ACA500+ + Trinitron PAL TV). Just curious if that's planned or maybe something with my setup?
Old 07 February 2020, 15:01   #439
roondar

Hope to try out the demo this weekend. Been looking forward to playing Inviyya for a while now
Old 07 February 2020, 15:54   #440
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
@Steril707 Suggestion after playing some more: I'd rather have less of the basic enemy type units but make their movement pattern more varied (sinusoid or some such) or mixed the head-on with it- if that's not too much stretch hardware wise of course. A stray bullet or two wouldn't hurt either
What do you mean by "or mixed the head-on with it"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Also have observed that the first layer of the background (the colorful one) is kind of jittery, not totally smooth (on my A500 + ACA500+ + Trinitron PAL TV). Just curious if that's planned or maybe something with my setup?
That's a weird bug that simply didn't happen with my setups here, neither on emulator nor on my real machine.
Weirdly enough.
Ross from this board contacted me about this, since he experienced th same problems, and had a solution for this as well which seems to work on his setup.
Hope it solves it on yours as well. Please gimme feedback on the next demo...