English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 July 2011, 22:27   #21
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you see difference between lores and hires: you have some filter effect enabled because hires only doubles pixels horizontally (if "real" mode is lores): end result should look exactly the same.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:25   #22
UncleSpam

To get good quality displays, especially when scaling is applies, I would recommend "Monitor Test". It works under WB 3.0+, but it does allow testing under all available resolutions.

The moire tests that are supplied with the software package allow you to fine tune the "filtered" display until the moire pattern is correct.

http://aminet.net/util/misc/MonitorTest.lha

There is also an HD version of this (search AmiNet for Monitor Test).

Hope this helps out.
Old 05 July 2011, 11:42   #23
Mclane
Old retro god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Either you know what are you doing or you use frontends.
Toni, its not a dig at Winuae, I'm over the moon with it and its does the job perfectly but there does seem to be many who open Winuae up and take a step back when seeing the options, the suggestion was merely to have a beginners panel where you basically press one button to start a display, and then the advanced panel for the rest of us and the new users when they want to explore.

If not, then a frontend for them...

Just trying to save 100 & 1 same questions
Old 05 July 2011, 16:10   #24
PaulyQ

Quote:
Mclain Said: Toni, its not a dig at Winuae, I'm over the moon with it and its does the job perfectly but there does seem to be many who open Winuae up and take a step back when seeing the options, the suggestion was merely to have a beginners panel where you basically press one button to start a display, and then the advanced panel for the rest of us and the new users when they want to explore.

If not, then a frontend for them...

Just trying to save 100 & 1 same questions
I can't agree with that Mclane, there is a nice little tab on the side which says "quickstart". That should be enough for the majority of new users surely... A500 - A1200??

If I was to go and get an emulator for a michine which I didn't know very well... for example a Sam Coupé then I tend to do a little reading up to make sure I can work out what I am doing. Console emu's are dead easy... thay are one machine with (in general) set bits of electronics. When it comes to computers it is a different kettle of fish altogether as you are well aware.

I know what you are saying, but if you don't know a system you learn it a little bit at a time, by playing with settings.
Old 05 July 2011, 16:29   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Ok, I'll repeat again..

a) basic setup = Frontend. They are MADE to be easy to use for beginners. No need to duplicate them.
- if you still want to use them, no one is forcing you to adjust all possible options immediately. There are so called "defaults" that work for most situations.
b) no one uses basic settings, everyone switches them off, sooner or later. It is most stupid feature in all programs, most "basic" setups are too basic even for most basic tasks.
c) it requires development time to keep it up to date. Feature that I would never use.

-> No. The end.
Old 05 July 2011, 23:27   #26
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ View Post
I can't agree with that Mclane, there is a nice little tab on the side which says "quickstart". That should be enough for the majority of new users surely... A500 - A1200??
You're right.
In fact I indirectly (perhaps too indirectly, I fear) suggested 1988 to use the Quickstart option (see my post #5).

Wait! In my post #9 I directly asked him...

I'm almost 100% sure its issue would be solved doing so... but he didn't tell us if he tried that option.
Did you try the "Quickstart A500" option, 1988?
Old 07 July 2011, 16:36   #27
Mclane
Old retro god.

Well If I've learned one thing in the emulation community its that, if the boss says NO then that's the final word on it..

And yes, an un altered quick start is as easy as pie...

Me, I love playing with the settings, the more the merrier...

Sorry for the daft idea....My apologies..

Toni, put that crystal ball down....helppppppppppppppp