English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 21 October 2007, 13:08   #1
Asman

WHDLoad and How fix PAL game to DBLNTSC

Hi,

How fix PAL game to DBLNTSC in WHDLoad?

Especially I think about copperlist. Screen isn't problem ( I think ), because I open custom screen in DBLNTSC and I've access to the screen addresses from BitMap structure.

BTW: I grabbed copperlist from DBLNTSCS screen and I not sure about all that ddfstrt, ddfstop, diwhigh, fmode and others hardware registers. Is that works for all monitors. Maybe exist somewhere how set theese hardware registers for DBLNTSC / DBLPAL screen ?

Any ideas are welcome.

Regards
Old 21 October 2007, 13:12   #2
YoJoe!
Amiga Enthusiast

DBLPAL and DBLNTSC are very slow, twice as slow as PAL/NTSC. It might damage the animation quality or framerate. It might destroy some sprites, not sure.

What resolution and bitplanes this game has?
Old 21 October 2007, 13:53   #3
Wepl

So far I tested that only using kick31emu. You can set an option for that which causes the kickemu to install a screen promotor. But only PAL -> DblPAL and NTSC - DblNTSC. Maybe it could be changed to make PAL -> DblNTSC.

I never tried that for games which doesnt use kickemu.
Old 21 October 2007, 17:35   #4
Asman

I do exactly what you wrote. I mean my slave use kick31emu and DBLPAL / DBLNTSC. When I do tests then screen changed to DblNTSC/DblPAL. But game set own ddfstrt, ddfstop, ... in copperlist and hmm.. ( dblpal go away ).

Maybe better way is resourced whdload game which support DblNTSC/ DblPAL and check how it works.

Or maybe fix from PAL to DBLNTSC / DBLPAL is useless ? ( as wrote JoYoe! - speed reasons )

Regards
Old 21 October 2007, 18:03   #5
Wepl

If the game builds his own display via copper/custom it becomes problematic.
You have to patch the game directly then.

I never have done this yet.

My recommended approach would be to remove all writes by the installed game to custom registers which are setting the display. The OS has already set all custom registers correctly so game should only set the bpl*ptr and maybe the bpl*mod registers.
I'm not sure but maybe this should be suffcient.
Old 22 October 2007, 11:11   #6
Asman

@YoJoe!

>> DBLPAL and DBLNTSC are very slow, twice as slow as PAL/NTSC

Very interesting.
So I must do some tests on my machine with DBLPAL and PAL screens ( I think about 320x256x5 ).

But you must remember that DblPal/DblNtscs will be a option ( mean you can chosen Pal/Ntsc version ).

>>It might destroy some sprites, not sure.
As I know ( I'm not sure ) if you set diwstrt less then $18 then some sprites may disappear. But I only read about that.

Last edited by Asman; 22 October 2007 at 11:21.
Old 21 July 2009, 12:21   #7
Asman

Hi

For information. If someone is interested I have whdload slave with full source for PD game AppleHunter with added support for DBLPAL ( without DBLPAL I have too ).

Regards
Old 21 July 2009, 23:01   #8
Wepl

please make a install package
Old 22 July 2009, 06:52   #9
TjLaZer

What about forcing a game that only runs in PAL but is only using a 320x200 screen? (ie there is a large gap at the bottom) Using NTSC tool type does not work. Example is Chaos Engine AGA. It needs a PAL screenmode for the game to work at all. Any fix for this???
Old 22 July 2009, 09:29   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
What about forcing a game that only runs in PAL but is only using a 320x200 screen? (ie there is a large gap at the bottom) Using NTSC tool type does not work. Example is Chaos Engine AGA. It needs a PAL screenmode for the game to work at all. Any fix for this???
Ive never tried but CE AGA doesnt work in NTSC mode?
CE CD32 seems to work fine in NTSC
I have also noticed Speedball 2 CD32 wont work in NTSC - shame this would give you a full screen.
Gods has problems in places in NTSC mode
Old 24 July 2009, 11:57   #11
Asman

Wepl - I will do this in next week ( I think! ). but first I will release The Lost Vikings, right now.
Old 05 August 2009, 10:18   #12
Asman

For information. Yesterday I find some time to look into AppleHunter and I realized that DBLPAL patch isn't finished. So I will continue work on it.