English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 September 2011, 04:01   #1
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Not a DOS disk?

I have a hardfile which I managed to installed Workbench 1.3 on, and it once worked with no problems. I decided to make a back-up copy of it in case something goes wrong with it. However, after using the backed-up copy, I received a dialog box that reads "Not a DOS disk in unit 0" and pressing either of the two gadgets is useless. Since there is no floppy disk in DF0:, I have no idea what the problem is.
Old 09 September 2011, 11:01   #2
thomas

Depends on whether it is a traditional HDF (large floppy disk) or a HDF in RDB-mode and how big it is.

To use a traditional HDF with Kick 1.3, you need to point WinUAE's HDF properties to the FastFileSystem file in a Windows directory.

Traditional HDF files larger than 1 GB are incompatible with Kick 1.3 if you use WinUAE's standard geometry (1 head, 32 sectors). Older versions of WinUAE allowed to create such incompatible HDFs. Current versions automatically change the geometry to compatible values. You can change the geometry back to 1/32, then copy all files to a Windows directory, create a new HDF and copy all files back.

The best way to make a HDF which is compatible with Kick 1.3 and doesn't need additional settings is to use RDB mode. This HDF needs to be partitioned with an Amiga partitioning tool like HDInstTools. This is the only way to emulate a real Amiga harddrive, not just a large floppy disk.
Old 10 September 2011, 03:15   #3
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The best way to make a HDF which is compatible with Kick 1.3 and doesn't need additional settings is to use RDB mode. This HDF needs to be partitioned with an Amiga partitioning tool like HDInstTools. This is the only way to emulate a real Amiga harddrive, not just a large floppy disk.
Thanks, but how do I go doing that? I used my Amiga 4000 WinUAE configuration (Kick31/WB31/40MB HDB) then added the Kick13/WB13 HDF in the HDF properties and then enabled RDB Mode on it. With RDB mode enabled, when WB31 boots up, it doesn't recognize the WB13 harddisk unless I change the sectors to 32 and the surface to 1.

Last edited by B14ck W01f; 10 September 2011 at 03:59. Reason: More info
Old 10 September 2011, 08:37   #4
thomas

Open the tools directory of your WB3.1 partition. Single-click on HDToolbox and select "icon -> information" from the menu. Find the tooltype which reads SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device and change it to uaehf.device. Press enter or tab in the text field to apply the changes. Save the icon and run HDToolbox. It should show your WB1.3 HDF. Select it and click on "change drive type", then on "define new" and on "read configuration". Change the file name to ram:drive definitions and press enter.

Click on ok until you are back in the main menu and then click on "partition drive". Change partition sizes as you like, then enable the "advanced options" checkbox.

For the first partition, make sure that "bootable" is checked.

Now for each partition, select it and click on "change". Make sure that FFS is enabled and that International and Dir Cache are disabled. Also make sure that block size is set to 512.

Finally click on Add/Update. If there is an entry in the file system list, select it and click on delete. Now press F12 and insert the WB 1.3 ADF into DF0. Return to HDToolbox and click on "Add New". Enter df0:l/fastfilesystem as file name and press enter. Make sure that DosType is set to 0x444f5301 (not ...03).

Click on ok to get back to the main menu, then click on "save changes to drive" and on exit. Reboot the Amiga. After a few seconds for each partiton an icon should appear. Select one at a time and choose "icon -> format disk" from the menu. Again make sure that FFS is enabled and that international and dircache are disabled, then click on quick.

To save some space on your Windows harddrive you should use a VHD instead of a HDF. To do so enable the "dynamic hdf" checkbox when you create it.
Old 14 October 2020, 13:22   #5
neilshak123

Just stumbled on this thread - it got my A500 M508 card booting to 1.3. Love this forum !