English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 March 2013, 10:22   #1
Jonathan Drain

Whatever happened all the PD companies?

Looking through my Amiga disks I found some catalogue disks from PD companies. It was lots of fun going through the catdisk and ordering twenty or thirty disks. When you bought that many it was cheaper than buying blank disks, and if you didn't like anything you could just format over it and use it as a blank disk!

Two things I always wondered.

How did the PD companies store all those disks? Did they have a hard disk full of DMS disk images, and they'd just write those to disk?

And what happened when the PD companies shut down? Are there huge numbers of PD disks that have just been lost to time because nobody ripped them? Did any PD companies upload their collection? Are there ex-PD company owners stuck with huge boxes of unused floppy disks with the special labels?
Old 09 March 2013, 16:57   #2
Timelord
Mad Amiga Fan!

Hi Jonathan

I have a massive disk collection and alot of them are pd stuff,loved to look through cat disks and the waiting for them to arrive back in the day lol

the other year I found a pd library for sale on ebay 3000 disks for £50 so I got them like you do

not had time to go through them all yet but still its a bit of fun

so I supose that answers some of your questions

Last edited by Timelord; 11 March 2013 at 01:02.