English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 31 May 2017, 22:29   #1
Nightfox

Unhappy Problem getting demo starter code to work

Hello all,

I am using Photon's demo starter code to handle all the boring initialisation for a demo available here:

http://coppershade.org/asmskool/SOUR...pershade-DDE1/

The problem is when I click the mouse to return to the system I am just greeted with a black screen. I have narrowed it down to the vertical blank interrupt causing the issue but I have no idea why. For now I have just had to comment out the line assigning the new VBlank.

I am using an A1200 with a 68030 CPU if that helps
Old 31 May 2017, 22:56   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Which file? Ministartup?
Old 31 May 2017, 23:12   #3
Nightfox

technically both since ministartup has an include for the wrapper file
Old 01 June 2017, 16:51   #4
roondar

I did have a similar problem with the mini startup myself, though not with the interrupt section. The WaitEOF/WaitRaster routines didn't always work for me and could end up hanging the system.

Now I don't know if your problem is related to this, but mine was solved by replacing the WaitEOF routine with the following code:

Code:
WaitEOF	bsr.s	WaitBlitter
.wvbl	btst	#0,(custombase+vposr+1)
		beq		.wvbl
.iloop	btst	#0,(custombase+vposr+1)
		bne		.iloop
		rts
Maybe this can help.
Old 01 June 2017, 18:33   #5
Nightfox

That did indeed fix it although my demo's frame rate became jerky when it was running super smooth before.

I changed it back to the original routine and the frame rate is smooth again but the exit problem returns. Interestingly, I put sprites in my demo and when I exit the demo the background is all black but the sprites are still displayed on the screen but they are frozen.

Last edited by Nightfox; 01 June 2017 at 18:50.
Old 01 June 2017, 23:24   #6
roondar

It could be because the code I posted waits for rasterline 0 and the code that Photon used waits for a high number instead. That might be enough to cause jerkyness, especially if you use both WaitEOF and a VBlank interrupt, this can cause the wait to miss its rasterline and wait a full extra frame.

You could try adapting my WaitVPos routine for your purpose. That lets you pick a rasterline.

Code:
		; Routine WaitVPos
		; This routine waits on a specified vertical raster position
		; 
		; D6: Scanline to wait on (0 = top of visible screen (line 44))
		;
		; Returns:
		; D6: Undefined
		; D7: Undefined
WaitVPos
		add.w	#44,d6
		asl.l	#8,d6
.waitvpos
		move.l	custombase+vposr,d7
		and.l	#$1ff00,d7
		cmp.l	d6,d7
		bne.b	.waitvpos

.iloop	move.l	custombase+vposr,d7
		and.l	#$1ff00,d7
		cmp.l	d6,d7
		bne.b	.iloop
		rts
It's not the fastest possible, but it might be of use.
Old 23 July 2017, 23:00   #7
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I did have a similar problem with the mini startup myself, though not with the interrupt section. The WaitEOF/WaitRaster routines didn't always work for me and could end up hanging the system.

Now I don't know if your problem is related to this, but mine was solved by replacing the WaitEOF routine with the following code:

Code:
WaitEOF	bsr.s	WaitBlitter
.wvbl	btst	#0,(custombase+vposr+1)
		beq		.wvbl
.iloop	btst	#0,(custombase+vposr+1)
		bne		.iloop
		rts
Maybe this can help.
This code would make your effect run half framerate if it executed past scanline $ff.

Quote:
It could be because the code I posted waits for rasterline 0 and the code that Photon used waits for a high number instead. That might be enough to cause jerkyness, especially if you use both WaitEOF and a VBlank interrupt, this can cause the wait to miss its rasterline and wait a full extra frame.

You could try adapting my WaitVPos routine for your purpose. That lets you pick a rasterline.

Code:
		; Routine WaitVPos
		; This routine waits on a specified vertical raster position
		; 
		; D6: Scanline to wait on (0 = top of visible screen (line 44))
		;
		; Returns:
		; D6: Undefined
		; D7: Undefined
WaitVPos
		add.w	#44,d6
		asl.l	#8,d6
.waitvpos
		move.l	custombase+vposr,d7
		and.l	#$1ff00,d7
		cmp.l	d6,d7
		bne.b	.waitvpos

.iloop	move.l	custombase+vposr,d7
		and.l	#$1ff00,d7
		cmp.l	d6,d7
		bne.b	.iloop
		rts
It's not the fastest possible, but it might be of use.
WaitRaster does exactly this, but allows to wait for a position above scanline $2c and doesn't busy-wait to leave the line.

Effects and startup code should certainly work on all PAL Amigas.

WaitEOF: A wait for scanline $138 would just as certainly hang all NTSC Amigas, make all WaitRaster calls use $105 or less and adapt the Copper list.

Anything else is too much speculation without more information on environment and whether the source is unmodified.

Last edited by Photon; 23 July 2017 at 23:06.
Old 23 July 2017, 23:36   #8
Nightfox

Photon do you know why your starter code does not return me to the OS correctly and requires a reboot?
Old 23 July 2017, 23:47   #9
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
This code would make your effect run half framerate if it executed past scanline $ff.
Right, that could be a problem. It seems I got lucky then with my code, as it hasn't happend yet. But I'll look it into it, always good to improve code

Quote:
WaitRaster does exactly this, but allows to wait for a position above scanline $2c and doesn't busy-wait to leave the line.
I could try WaitRaster, I kinda bypassed it when WaitEOF caused problems.

Quote:
Effects and startup code should certainly work on all PAL Amigas.

WaitEOF: A wait for scanline $138 would just as certainly hang all NTSC Amigas, make all WaitRaster calls use $105 or less and adapt the Copper list.

Anything else is too much speculation without more information on environment and whether the source is unmodified.
Well, I'm not going to claim my code is perfect in any way, but I will say that the reason I'm using my own WaitEOF/waitvpos code is that the ministartup code (specifically WaitEOF) hangs my program on exit quite often (not 100% of the time, but close to).

This happens for me on both real PAL A500's and WinUAE A500 cycle exact setting.

I have no idea why though
Old 24 July 2017, 13:48   #10
Photon

Nightfox: A good startup should definitely return you safely to the OS!

If the files in your link doesn't let you do that, they could have an error or there's something about how you run it.

I can't reproduce it. It would be interesting to find the cause. To eliminate variables, can you assemble PhotonsMiniStartup1.04!.S (unmodified) to an object file (executable) and run the exe? This will tell us if it's something in the Assembler or outside. If it works, you can do the same with DDE-Plot1.S and then your demo.
Old 24 July 2017, 20:53   #11
Nightfox

I was using your unmodified files. I am using an A1200 with 030 accelerator using AmigaOS3.9. Not sure if that makes things too complicated to diagnose
Old 24 July 2017, 21:19   #12
Photon

OK, no, it's not too complex. But part of the diagnostics is that you have to do these steps on your machine since it works here.
Old 24 July 2017, 22:13   #13
Nightfox

This is your unmodified starter code [ Show youtube player ]
Old 25 July 2017, 09:44   #14
Photon

And here are some unmodified Assemblers. [ Show youtube player ]

My sources are very tested and clearly commented. There could still be something that doesn't play nice with your environment. If you want to find it you must do like I asked on your machine, with just one environment removed (the Assembler).

--> A, WO, run exe. Does it work?

The reason for AsmPro causing the Copper to roll is especially juicy and one reason why these things are not obvious.
Old 25 July 2017, 20:43   #15
Nightfox

hmm. Writing the object file then executing it outside the assembler works. I guess Asm-One 1.48 is misbehaving somehow. Thanks Photon, you rock my socks off. I wonder if there's a way of fixing this
Old 25 July 2017, 22:23   #16
roondar

I've tested the startup as well using VASM for cross-assembling and unmodified, it does indeed work.

Makes me wonder why I managed to get it to crash on exit, while the change I did somehow fixed it. One thing I'm wondering about is: I'm assuming this also works outside of the display window, mine was a bit smaller than standard.

Could that mean I need to change the raster line I wait on?

That would feel very odd to me, as the beam surely does travel to the lines outside of the display window. Other than that though, I'm not sure what causes the difference. I remember testing this with a pretty much empty frame loop because I thought the problem was with my code. It's quite possible that is indeed true, but I'm not sure what is wrong then.
Old 25 July 2017, 22:47   #17
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
hmm. Writing the object file then executing it outside the assembler works. I guess Asm-One 1.48 is misbehaving somehow. Thanks Photon, you rock my socks off. I wonder if there's a way of fixing this
There could be something in my source interfering with a setting. Here are mine, don't take these as "correct" or anything.

Even though Asm-One 1.48 and AsmPro seem buggy under 68000 in the short video, I wouldn't conclude that they don't work - maybe a setting or a 68020+ library causes it.

Quote:
I've tested the startup as well using VASM for cross-assembling and unmodified, it does indeed work.

Makes me wonder why I managed to get it to crash on exit, while the change I did somehow fixed it. One thing I'm wondering about is: I'm assuming this also works outside of the display window, mine was a bit smaller than standard.

Could that mean I need to change the raster line I wait on?

That would feel very odd to me, as the beam surely does travel to the lines outside of the display window. Other than that though, I'm not sure what causes the difference. I remember testing this with a pretty much empty frame loop because I thought the problem was with my code. It's quite possible that is indeed true, but I'm not sure what is wrong then.
No, the raster always hits $138 in PAL (and $105 in NTSC). This is to wait out the full frame and make a clean break before starting your own screen, and on exit, do the same so that all HW regs are set up for the OS vblank at the top of the next frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AsmOne148-settings.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	53873  

Last edited by Photon; 25 July 2017 at 22:58.
Old 25 July 2017, 23:07   #18
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
No, the raster always hits $138 in PAL (and $105 in NTSC). This is to wait out the full frame and make a clean break before starting your own screen, and on exit, do the same so that all HW regs are set up for the OS vblank at the top of the next frame.
Well, I'll see if I can find what exactly breaks it. If I do, I'll report back to this thread, but frankly don't count on that happening too soon - as I have no idea
Old 25 July 2017, 23:16   #19
Nightfox

My settings were the same as yours except I don't have RTG mode enabled because the text output is buggy with it turned on. But I tried turning it on anyway and the same thing happened. I also just tried Asm-One 1.49 beta and it has the same problem
Old 26 July 2017, 08:58   #20
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

It must be a problem on your end, I've tested the code with ASM-One 1.48 and ASM-Pro and there were no problems.