English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 January 2013, 10:46   #81
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimaInCorpore View Post
While this thread went somewhat rude I would still like to know something more about the reasons why this port was a failure (if any).
See what happens, Meynaf?

Read Galahad's post above, he clearly expresses he has NOT ditched the project, he's just been lacking in time. Don't read Meynaf's posts which spread untrue libel.
Old 17 January 2013, 11:03   #82
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Meynaf has finished 3 ST to Amiga conversions, so I'd say there's nobody with more knowledge when it comes down to it. If the problem with it really is only a control problem, then Meynaf could probably help with it.

The only things Galahad has mentioned so far is a slow screen update and a control problem. So is it 90% complete? Or is it actually more like 10% complete and there's a flood of bugs and unpatched Atari ST code still to adapt? Galahad could clear this up by posting the demo or say what percentage the game is at.
Old 17 January 2013, 11:09   #83
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Or maybe him and Meynaf could combine forces and do the port together (or atleast help out), however after these posts I can't see that happening
Old 17 January 2013, 15:23   #84
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post

Read Galahad's post above, he clearly expresses he has NOT ditched the project, he's just been lacking in time. Don't read Meynaf's posts which spread untrue libel.
I am just interested in technical details. I am also doing some ports so I would like to learn more about the pitfalls and problems other developers might have stumbled upon.

Cheers
Sascha
Old 17 January 2013, 15:26   #85
spajdr
Old fart

Send a message via ICQ to spajdr
Quote:
I am just interested in technical details. I am also doing some ports so I would like to learn more about the pitfalls and problems other developers might have stumbled upon.

Cheers
Sascha
Which ports if we can know?
Old 17 January 2013, 15:32   #86
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
Which ports if we can know?
[ Show youtube player ]

Cheers
Sascha
Old 17 January 2013, 17:32   #87
Amiga1992

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
That's amazing. I'd love that game on Amiga, by the way.
Old 18 January 2013, 06:48   #88
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Might interest you http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56426
Quote:
That's amazing. I'd love that game on Amiga, by the way.
+1
Old 18 January 2013, 10:04   #89
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Thanks for the link. I already have found that list while I was searching for (english) X68000 development docs.

hitchhikr already pointed out that many of those are japanese games and so they're almost unplayable but it's definitely a helpful list.

I created a new thread here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=862532#post862532

Cheers
Sascha
Old 19 January 2013, 09:49   #90
meynaf
son of 68k

I said i had nothing to add, but people here apparently can't read and have added more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
I'd like to add that I have been working on a game and have not done much since November (Christmas, New Year, work commitments and family commitments).

I have been doing bits over the past few days, and if you gave me the grief you are giving Galahad I would probably not be inclined to finish the game anyway!

We do this in our own time, and the games are free for the community, we ask for nothing in return apart from maybe a thanks and some honest feedback.

If Galahad does not finish this then that is his prerogative, he doesn't have to answer to you or anyone else, it's not like you have financial interest here is it?

Let it go please and show some courtesy!
Yes you have started a game, but you did not open a thread here and raise expectations for something you're not sure you will ever finish.
When i did my game ports i did them BEFORE posting anything. Seems you're following the same road and there is nothing wrong here.

Quote:
Sharing Leffmann's sentiments exactly. Internet is a messed up place and, Meynaf, believe it or not, some of us actually have a LIFE to live.
Also, you wouldn't dare to confront anyone like that in real life, I tell you.
Having a life is something, promising and not delivering is something else.

Do you really want that :
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=9755
to happen again ?

He promised that port and never did it. Was the port too difficult ? Well, i know if it was or not, as I did it.

Quote:
Funny that your signature reads He who insults the other in a discussion is the one who's wrong. I guess it's a clear case of "do as I say, not as I do"
Where do you see an insult ?

Quote:
Yes i see. But please come back here in a few years, and we'll see if you still think the same.
Also please read that Super Sprint thread and tell me what you think of it. Looks a lot like this one doesn't it ? See what happened there at the end ?

Quote:
Well, after some time, this thread will show who was right and who was not.

If he has not ditched the project and just lacks time, why not accepting some help like tomcat666 suggested ?
Ask Galahad, not me, as we had a few PMs about that and he didn't seem to be willing to get any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Meynaf has finished 3 ST to Amiga conversions, so I'd say there's nobody with more knowledge when it comes down to it. If the problem with it really is only a control problem, then Meynaf could probably help with it.

The only things Galahad has mentioned so far is a slow screen update and a control problem. So is it 90% complete? Or is it actually more like 10% complete and there's a flood of bugs and unpatched Atari ST code still to adapt? Galahad could clear this up by posting the demo or say what percentage the game is at.
This is exactly what i said earlier. Want me to STFU ? A demo is the best way to do so.

In addition, perhaps "pushing" Galahad this way, could help him find the motivation, who knows.

If it's just about slow screen update, or control problem, i know these and can help. They're not the tough part for me.
Old 19 January 2013, 09:57   #91
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:

Cheers
Sascha
Porting a game is basically resourcing, then replacing everything that's platform specific (here ST specific) by your own stuff. This is for a 1:1 port, of course.

First problem that comes out is : absolute addressing. A real pain, you never know if something is a data or an address.
Specific to ST, usage of GEM is not quite easy to handle.
Dirty tricks, dynamic code loading, are big pests too.

YM2149 emulation has its problems and is a world by itself. In some cases (such as Super Sprint) it's quite easy (when you have the relevant tools) but if envelope (chip registers 11,12,13) is used, especially with a very small period, then it becomes a different story...

In all cases, having the experience of coding on a real ST is irreplaceable.
Old 19 January 2013, 11:29   #92
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
In addition, perhaps "pushing" Galahad this way, could help him find the motivation, who knows.
You have a personal problem that Galahad promised something and never delivered, but does that really valid your ongoing nagging? Sad as it is there's a lot of ditched projects on the Amiga, but you seem to have a pet hate with Galahad. I don't see you flaming that much in other threads where people 'don't deliver', so maybe you should admit that it's mainly about Galahad's attitude or person and not about the project itself.

@GMs
By all means, can this thread be closed until Galahad has a demo or any news?
Old 19 January 2013, 12:00   #93
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
@GMs
By all means, can this thread be closed until Galahad has a demo or any news?
I don't see any reason to close the thread. Galahad could easily "pause" the thread by acknowledging the percentage complete of the game so far and posting the demo instead of ignoring the thread.

Closing the thread will just mean nobody can reply and eventually another thread will be started with either an update about the game or people saying "whatever happened to that conversion". Leave the thread open for goodness sake and let's hope Galahad posts an answer. (After all, he has been on EAB in the last few days so he is around).
Old 19 January 2013, 12:06   #94
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Antagonism between different Amiga groups has been going as long as the Amiga it self

meynaf you have experience porting both Mac 68k and ST maybe you could help with other ports:-)
Old 19 January 2013, 12:20   #95
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
I don't see any reason to close the thread.
I don't see a reason to let meynaf ramble on. It's clear that Phil doesn't want to reply for now, so it might be an idea to let this thread go the way of all the other 'on hold' projects indeed. If meynaf wants to get het up about something else I could provide some links
Old 19 January 2013, 13:10   #96
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I don't want the thread closed, but its my project and i'll post a WIP when I am ready and not before.

i'll not be coerced into something for other peoples satisfaction, you either believe my progress or you don't, I don't really care either way, to put it bluntly, I owe no-one.

The reason I abandoned Super Sprint was two fold, firstly the game simply isn't very good, sure nostalgia has people remembering a great game, but it was only great with two other mates all playing at the same time, but when its 1 player versus the computer, which is how the majority will certainly play it, the computer AI is woeful, and people would get bored of it very quickly, other than the happiness that its been converted, they'd soon want something else.

Secondly, the way the game was written I wasn't happy about, I didn't think I could successfully resource the game and make my way around the code satisfactorily. Meynaf has far more experience on the Atari ST than i'll EVER have, that gives him a helping hand right from the off.

MY intention was to simply write it from scratch as it is quite a simple game, but, it brought me back to point 1 of this post, that without other players, its just not a great game, its your mates getting involved that made it such a great game back in the 80's.

Now i've explained my position (and again with SS!), and i don't expect to have to repeat it again, its my project, and it'll be ready when its ready, because the end goal is to NOT have to actually use WHDLoad to run the game, I intend it to be standalone, and I also intend it NOT to require 68020+ to run it either.

I fully intend to get this running FULL speed on an A500.

This will be ready when its ready, if you don't like that, or don't like how I approach this, I don't know what else to say, but I have little enough free time as it is, how I choose to spend that free time is my business.

Thanks to those with messages of support, its appreciated.
Old 19 January 2013, 14:13   #97
utri007
mä vaan

This game actually looks nice and it offers something new or at least something wich we haven't seen for long time.

Good work.
Old 19 January 2013, 16:25   #98
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
That is a good goal.
Old 19 January 2013, 16:42   #99
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
This game actually looks nice and it offers something new or at least something wich we haven't seen for long time.

Good work.
Its part of the reason i'm doing it, it potentially has a bit more longevity to it.
Old 20 January 2013, 09:08   #100
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
meynaf you have experience porting both Mac 68k and ST maybe you could help with other ports:-)
I can help, but only those who want my help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
For this you need to convert all graphics routines, ST screen conversion can't be fast enough.

Btw I have no personal feeling against you or anyone else here, despite what some people think. But I can't work on that port as long as your project is running, and i've been asked to do that game (among others). As you have cleared things up here, fine with me.