English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 May 2011, 10:20   #1
ceaser

install of Boing Bag 3 and 4 without ruining your Startup-Sequence

I can't quite get this right: http://lilliput.amiga-projects.net/Howto.htm

Put spatch in the SYS:C makes sense. Beyond that I"m not getting this. It opens my Startup-Sequence in an editor at the end of Boing Bag 3 and 4 install, and Gulliver says "play around with it for a while till you grasp it." I don't grasp it.
Old 15 May 2011, 11:56   #2
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

This is meant for manual installation.
BB3 and BB4 have an install script that does the job automatically, letting you only to alter some Startup-Sequence by telling you exactly what to write.

Spatch is needed for manually patching modules, commands etc to new versions.

For example:
- You have Libs:example.library (version 1.0)
- You have a patch file: newexamplelibrary.pch (patch file to update example.library from version 1.0 to 1.1)
so...
- By running spatch with some option you get a new example.library (version 1.1) that is the old one patched with the info from newexamplelibrary.pch
Old 15 May 2011, 13:37   #3
ceaser

I'm screwing up the part where you have to put in the SetPatch line, and "remove the old setpatch line." There are 2 lines in an IF Else EndIf that start with SetPatch. Also, when I screw this up it is very bad. I have to go in and take all that stuff out of the Startup-Sequence, and try reinstalling BB3 all over again. It makes it so I get only a purple insert disk screen showing ROM 3.9 when i try to edit the file the way it says. obviously i'm doing it wrong

Last edited by ceaser; 15 May 2011 at 14:01.
Old 15 May 2011, 15:56   #4
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Just comment every setpatch line you see in Startup-Sequence.
What you only need are 2 declarations (one for SetPatch and one for LoadModule).

For example:
Code:
C:LoadModule L:FastFileSystem L:RAM-Handler L:Shell-Seg DEVS:scsi.device LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library NOREBOOT REVERSE
C:SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES fs,icon,ram,scsi.device,shell,workbench QUIET
If you had a custom ROM with all the modules of BB3 you would have only needed the following line:
Code:
C:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET
...since the modules are all reside in the custom ROM and don't need to be loaded via LoadModule or LoadResident command.
Old 15 May 2011, 17:58   #5
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaser View Post
There are 2 lines in an IF Else EndIf that start with SetPatch.
That's odd, why do you have this? Can you send your startup-sequence, I will tell you what is wrong with it. The only branch logic involved is in the BB3 installer script, not the startup-sequence.
Old 15 May 2011, 18:56   #6
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

It's not odd at all
I just removed all the If..Else..EndIf statements cause I certainly didn't need them. They are only there for the updates of the file "AmigaOS ROM Update" that exists in Devs: and particularly for the scsi.update.

Only one line of C:SetPatch... is enough, plus all the necessary LoadModule declarations based on the modules you wish to load pre SetPatch
Old 15 May 2011, 22:04   #7
ceaser

Minuous, the only way I could send you the content of my Startup-Sequence is by writing it out by hand and then typing it in here. These statements are a result of something IDEFix does I think.

mfilos: I think I was close. I have to comment out that whole If Then Else statement which has some statements which are screwing this up. Be right back...

Minuous: here's my Startup-Sequence
;VER:Starup-Sequence-Hard Drive 45.2 (19.1.2001)
;Startup-Sequence for AmigaOS 3.9
C:LoadModule L:FastFileSystem L:Ram-Handler L:Shell-Seg DEVS:scsi.device LIBS:icon.library LIBS:workbench.library NOREBOOT REVERSE
C:SetPatch SKIPROMMODULES fs,icon,ram,scsi.device,shell,workbench QUIET

If EXISTS C:SquirrelSCSI
C:Squirrel SCSI
EndIf

Set SCSIUpdate 1
If EXISTS C:IDEFix
C:IDEFix
Set SCSIUpdate 0
EndIf

If EXISTS SYS:Expansion/XSurfIDE
Set SCSI Update 0
EndIf

If EXISTS SYS:Prefs/Env-Archive/NOSCSIUPDATE
Set SCSIUpdate 0
EndIf

;If $SCSIUpdate EQ 1
; SetPatch QUIET
;Else
; SetPatch SKIPROMUPDATES "scsi.device" QUIET
;EndIf
Unset SCSI Update

C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0:15
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/SYS
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ
Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE
Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:Printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER

Bind Drivers
C:Mount >NIL: DEVSOSDrivers/~(#?.info)

C:LoadMonDrvs

SetEnv Language "english"
SetEnv Workbench $Workbench
SetEnv Kickstart $Kickstart
UnSet Workbench
UnSet Kickstart

C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET
C:IPrefs
C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S:SysPrefs
SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities

SYS:System/RexxMast >NIL:

If EXISTS S:User-Startup
Execute S:User-Startup
EndIf

Resident Execute REMOVE
Resident Assign REMOVE

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:

Last edited by ceaser; 15 May 2011 at 23:15. Reason: nevermind i got that stuff all on 1 line. but it still isn't working YET
Old 15 May 2011, 23:38   #8
ceaser

Code:
C:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET
was all I needed in there since i had already correctly updated the ROM's with Boing Bag 2.

Thank You! And let me know if there's anything else wrong that you see in my Startup-Sequence, and hoping I don't have the problem with Boing Bag 4. I had installed them before and just ignored that Startup-Sequence patching part at the end. But now it would seem it is working fine on BB3!
Old 16 May 2011, 14:39   #9
gulliver
BoingBagged

@ceaser

I am glad mflios helped you out. He is a great guy.

I only wish Doobrey could add an option within Remus to create custom "Devs/AmigaOS Rom Update" files, so that we could finally give users a simple method when trying to install BB3 and BB4.
Old 16 May 2011, 15:19   #10
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Thanks for the nice words Gulliver my friend. It would be a lot easier if we could make an "AmigaOS ROM Update" file as Cosmos did. That would have made BB3, BB4 installations a piece of cake for everyone
Till we have a better solution, custom kickstarts is the way to go as I see it

Ceaser mate, NOROMUPDATE option would be issued ONLY if you have a custom BB2+ Kickstart ROM (that has all the modules included in the ROM) since NOROMUPDATE won't patch any module from the "AmigaOS ROM Update" file.
The file "Devs/AmigaOS ROM Update" contains the following modules:
- bootmenu 44.7
- console.device 44.8
- exec.library 45.20
- filesystem.resource 45.10
- filesystem 45.13
- NCRscsi.device 45.13 (if you have an A4000T)
- ram-handler 44.23
- ROMUpdate 44.57
- scsi.device 43.43 and
- shell 45.7

Just to be sure what modules you have and if they are patched or not, just use the version command with the previous modules to see if you have the correct version installed. If you also installed BB3 and BB4, don't forget to check via version command the modules that got upgraded via LoadModule/LoadResident to the new versions.
Old 16 May 2011, 16:20   #11
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

@ceaser:

That looks fine for a BB3 startup.
Old 17 May 2011, 14:39   #12
ceaser

ALL you guys are awesome for keeping the Amiga alive. There is no reason for old tech to ever die and long live the Amiga! So... This FailAt line is failing big time on my A3000 though, and I notice BoingBag4 seems to be mainly for A1200/A4000. I have both those wonderful classic Amiga's too, but I cannot get the patch line that is requested at the end of BB4 to work now. I just commented it out because my install does not know what FailAt is. Let me know if I even need BB4 on Amiga 3000 please. And what is up with this line? What does it do ?

Also, is MUI not something that jives with the updates? I have trouble installing MUI 3.8 after I update with the Boing Bags. Some other guy complained about this in a post from 2003. I said something in a post in Amiga scene that I thought your download of MUI38.usr on your site was corrupt, but it wasn't.

I was having some problems earlier because I didn't fully understand how to use OS 3.9 to get my 8.5 GB drive PROPERLY partitioned. thomas, a frequent poster on here told me to do 1 500 MB partition and 2 1.7 GB partitions in old Workbench HD Toolbox just to get WB 3.1 installed so I could upgrade properly to OS 3.9, then I repartitioned in OS 3.9 to give me all my 8.5 gigs! again thomas, you rule!

So, I guess another question is: is MUI at all necessary with BB3? And then main question here is what is that FailAt line it tells me to post when BB4 install is done and why would this not be working, and what is it supposed to do?

Gulliver, you're so cool for doing updates for Amiga in 2010 and 11. You really rock a lot. Sorry for the shameless sucking up

u too Minuous! You deserve much honorable mention too!

Last edited by ceaser; 17 May 2011 at 14:48. Reason: u guys rock!
Old 17 May 2011, 15:05   #13
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

MUI is like a framework for window applications and it's needed in many circumstances and by a lot of programs.
Operating System doesn't need MUI to operate but it's such an easy installation that there is no reason for you not to have installed.

Best way to install MUI is to extract it using "lha x mui38usr.lha" and then running the installation from the icon.
Old 17 May 2011, 19:45   #14
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaser View Post
I notice BoingBag4 seems to be mainly for A1200/A4000.
No, it's for all Amigas (including CD32 and similar).

Quote:
I have both those wonderful classic Amiga's too, but I cannot get the patch line that is requested at the end of BB4 to work now. I just commented it out because my install does not know what FailAt is. Let me know if I even need BB4 on Amiga 3000 please. And what is up with this line? What does it do ?
Sorry, FailAt is in ROM since 2.0. So in the startup-sequence it should be just FailAt rather than SYS:C/FailAt. This is fixed in the latest version (V0.8q).

FailAt affects the handling of return codes during script execution. The purpose of it is to prevent the startup-sequence from aborting prematurely if the LoadResident command fails (which it will do if the components have already been updated on the previous boot).

Quote:
Also, is MUI not something that jives with the updates? I have trouble installing MUI 3.8 after I update with the Boing Bags. Some other guy complained about this in a post from 2003. I said something in a post in Amiga scene that I thought your download of MUI38.usr on your site was corrupt, but it wasn't.
I haven't noticed any problems, can you be more specific?

Quote:
So, I guess another question is: is MUI at all necessary with BB3?
No.
Old 17 May 2011, 23:38   #15
ceaser

no clue about MUI, it installs fine now.

Thank you the FailAt at the beginning of the line does the trick. New version only has this change that it tells you to paste the proper lines? I believe I'm all good on this now.