English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 11 October 2015, 13:20   #1
Havie

Internal CDRom v Laptop CDRom on Amiga 1200

Hi Guys

I have sert up a lapto CD-rom on my 1200 (3,0) and wired the power from the floppy connector. I also have a 4 way IDE in the 1200 to connect compact flash and CD-rom. I have run the power and IDE cables out of the side of the Amiga and after insralling IDEFIX (from Amiga Forerver - solves keyfile issue) and it all works. I can access CDs, run stuff and install stuff. I don't really want to cut the Amiga case to try an internal mod and think in this instance I would be better using a fullsize CD-rom from a PC whihch I could eventaully encase as a 'proper' external CD-rom. My question is this: can I power a 3.5" Cd-rom from the floppy connect using a normal amiga power supply? If not, I do have a Powerbox 200W supply - would this work or would I have to run a cable directly from this to the CD-rom (whch I have done for testing previously). I woulld like it to work and look as neat as possible hence the desire to use an oringal power supply as the Powerbox loks a bit like a PC power supply in a box (with lots of flapping power cables) - which it is!

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11 October 2015, 16:01   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I have done it in the past. The cables (Ide, power) need to be pretty flat though or you might end up cutting the case anyway.
Old 11 October 2015, 20:49   #3
Havie

Thanks Arnie - willrework the power cable with a bigger plug for the 3.5" drive and see how it goes.

Also I can probably use CD sound via headphone socket and see how it mixes with Amiga sound through my TV speakers (I use a Sharp 22" TV for all my retro stuff via all avaiable ports as well as the PC and Raspberry Pi through HDMI and USB switcher). Crrently have:

Amiga 1200 - SCART switcher
N64 - composite
Wii -SCART Switcher
NES Clone -not connected?
ZX Spectrum - SCART via composite mod
Raspberry Pi -HDMI switcher
PC -HDMI switcher

Some people have a 'man cave', I have a 'man cupboard'!!!

Still working out where I could put an Amiga 600 and C64 (oh and an Atari VCS)...