English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 February 2006, 03:20   #21
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous
Don't forget http://www.deadwoodinc.net/amigan/acar/

95 issues of the worthy "Australian Commodore and Amiga Review" (ACAR).
I'm an aussie and I never even knew that those mags existed! Thanks mate.
Old 16 February 2006, 09:46   #22
blade002
Zone Friend

Yeah i used to buy ACAR back then.. but my favourite and in my opinion the best EVER magazine was ACE ( Advanced Computer Entertainment).
Old 16 February 2006, 20:09   #23
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP
a friend of mine are scanning the swedish magazine called datormagazin (dmz) for personal use. anyone interested in helping out? the more we are the faster our collections will be on our hd:s, and those old piles can be trashed.
I have a bunch of old DMZ issues but I'm afraid that I haven't got the time to scan them. It's a huge project. Maybe somtime later. It would be nice if your friend could upload the issues he have scanned to some website. I know there are several users on this site who would be interested and maybe there are someone wo can contribute with a scan or two.
Old 16 February 2006, 23:07   #24
gizmomelb

Any aussies on here want to trade magazines? I've got heaps of ACARs, CU Amigas, Amiga Formats, Compute/Compute's Gazettes, Amiga Manias, Amiga Power etc.etc.
Old 17 February 2006, 00:21   #25
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

There's an article on Team 17 in this month's Retro Magazine and there's some stuff about their 'feud' with Amiga Power. It's all very one-sided (towards Team 17), but what a hoo-ha!

Were ATR and that Bowling game REALLY so good that it was worth Team 17 taking Amiga Power to court for their reviews of them?! (They lost, incidentally.)

I don't know anyone who's ever played them!
Old 17 February 2006, 07:40   #26
cooldude

Acar

Quote:
Don't forget http://www.deadwoodinc.net/amigan/acar/

95 issues of the worthy "Australian Commodore and Amiga Review" (ACAR).
Cool site! I had heaps of ACAR's, but threw 'em away
Still got most of the AFs & CUs though....

I live in Adelaide & still use my miggy most days - still love it!!
Have to help workmates with their crashed PCs though...grrrr

PS- Got almost all the WHDLoad games on HD & still play 'em.

Cheers
Old 17 February 2006, 13:35   #27
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker
Were ATR and that Bowling game REALLY so good that it was worth Team 17 taking Amiga Power to court for their reviews of them?! (They lost, incidentally.)

I don't know anyone who's ever played them!
Personally I think ATR is pretty cool. Don't know about taking somebody to court though over a bad review though...

Old 17 February 2006, 19:57   #28
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Why is it that the magazines scan idea doesn't seem to take off very well? I read various threads on message boards, so there is a demand for it, but nobody can be arsed to scan even one page. Check the Amiga Power site. Most scans are only from the cover.

Maybe it's because there's too much work involved to scan a full mag and release it, compared to games that consist of one single file?
Old 17 February 2006, 20:33   #29
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoichi
Why is it that the magazines scan idea doesn't seem to take off very well? I read various threads on message boards, so there is a demand for it, but nobody can be arsed to scan even one page. Check the Amiga Power site. Most scans are only from the cover.

Maybe it's because there's too much work involved to scan a full mag and release it, compared to games that consist of one single file?
Yeah, I think so too. It takes maybe 1.5 hours per mag?`I'd LOVE it if someone sent their old SHH/SHN issues to me, I'd thrash them thru my Epson scanner in .1 seconds flat!

Maybe it's a hosting issue?
Old 18 February 2006, 03:53   #30
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoichi

Nobody can be arsed!? I have scanned over 6000 pages, they are not just cover scans, they are full issues, even including ads, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Any aussies on here want to trade magazines? I've got heaps of ACARs, CU Amigas, Amiga Formats, Compute/Compute's Gazettes, Amiga Manias, Amiga Power etc.etc.
Do you have ACARs from the 1980s and/or the ACAR Commodore Annual 1990? or issues of Megacomp etc?
Old 18 February 2006, 13:27   #31
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
And how many people contributed to your work?
Old 18 February 2006, 14:20   #32
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Only Galaxy :-(
Old 18 February 2006, 15:56   #33
woody57

Are you sure Minuous ?
Old 19 February 2006, 03:15   #34
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

And woody for the hosting.

I thought I had edited it as soon as I remembered, odd that it didn't work. :-(
Old 22 February 2006, 02:57   #35
spoUP

well, coma is busy scanning issues of datormagazin. you can find them at ftp.modland.com in pub/documents/nostalgia/
... or was it pub/nostalgia/documents... well, you'll find them. check back, he's still scanning, so a new issue pops up every now and then. he's still missing issues, be sure to give him your support!
Old 22 February 2006, 05:45   #36
gizmomelb

Quote:
Nobody can be arsed!? I have scanned over 6000 pages, they are not just cover scans, they are full issues, even including ads, etc.
I scanned one issue of Your Commodore to help out Mort (www.zzap64.co.uk) and that took me the best part of a week, doing about an hour or two each night after work. So I certainly appreciate the work you've put into scanning the magazines, as it is an incredibly time consuming process (and my apologies to Galaxy for being lax in that area).

Quote:
Do you have ACARs from the 1980s and/or the ACAR Commodore Annual 1990? or issues of Megacomp etc?
I certainly do. The only issues I'm missing are:

1-1 - January '84 (don't think this was published)
1-2 - February '84 (don't think this was published)
1-9 - September '84
1-10 - October '84
1-11 - November '84
1-12 - December '84
2-4 - April '85
2-5 - May '85
2-7 - July '85
2-10 - October '85
2-11 - November '85
2-12 - December '85
4-12 - December '87

1989 C64 yearbook
1993 Amiga yearbook

I think I have some issues of Mega Comp (though I might be getting myself confused with Megazone). I've also got most issues of Professional Amiga User, Amiga Oz, Amiga Down Under, Megazone, Commodore Magazine and others. I'm in the (very slow) process of cataloguing them all, as well as my issues of Amiga Mania, Amiga Interactive, CU Amiga, Amiga Formats, The One, CD32 Gamer, Zero, etc. etc.

Tonight with any luck I'll be selling off my almost complete collections of Mean Machines, Hyper, EGM (UK version) and other console mags, so I can have more space for my Amiga, CD32 and C64 magazines.

Last edited by gizmomelb; 22 February 2006 at 14:17.
Old 22 February 2006, 09:31   #37
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoUP
well, coma is busy scanning issues of datormagazin. you can find them at ftp.modland.com in pub/documents/nostalgia/
... or was it pub/nostalgia/documents... well, you'll find them. check back, he's still scanning, so a new issue pops up every now and then. he's still missing issues, be sure to give him your support!
Cool! I have a pretty large collection of DMZs from 91-92 so I can probably help out. Perhaps I scan some issues when I get time. Does anyone know a good program that speeds up the scanning process.
Old 22 February 2006, 14:06   #38
gizmomelb

for Windows I use the freeware software IRFANVIEW to preview, size the scan exactly and finally scan the image. Fast and does it all in one package.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:59   #39
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I wouldn't mind scanning those ACARs for the site...

I go to Melbourne once a month, I don't suppose you would be willing to lend them to me for a month for scanning?
Old 01 March 2006, 13:14   #40
gizmomelb

hmm.. will have to have a think on that one... what pixel resolution/dpi were you scanning your magazines in at? I've had a major clean of my room and I can now get in here a lot easier and there's still more stuff to go/sell. I might look at scanning the mags myself (I've got to get back in scan mode, hey Galaxy?! ) and I can upload the PNGs or JPGs to you to PDF (if you want, or if you tell me the dimensions etc. I can PDF them myself as well).

ACARs are fine to scan, nice and easy. Probably the main reason there aren't a lot (almost none) of Amiga magazines scanned are that they are all hard spines - so when you fold back pages to scan them it weakens the spine/wrecks the mag. Whereas all the early Spectrum/C64 magazines are all folded with staples - extremely easy to scan and almost no danger of wrecking the mag. Even though I'd love to digitally archive my Amiga Formats, CU Amigas, The One, ZERO, The Games Machine, COMPUTE! etc. - I really don't want to wreck them (though digitally archiving them makes more sense for the long term). Maybe I'll archive them when they're so old the glue gives way and pages fall out.

Oh, also I know a guy who has the COMPLETE ACAR collection - I know he scans a lot of stuff, I'll see if he's scanned any ACARs and if he'll share. No way in hell he'd loan them out though, I'm sure of that.