English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 28 March 2018, 21:13   #21
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
That's right, that doesn't exist. From ECS on is 2MB Chip.
But req's ask for 1MB Chip + 1MB other RAM. Someone should check (I don't have a hard drive on my A500 so i can't)

GReat work those involved, this could possibly be the best home conversion of this game!
Runs for me on 1mb chip + 8mb fast on a500 with aca500+, but that is 3.1
Old 29 March 2018, 14:19   #22
Glen M

Downloaded last night burned and playing happily on my CD32. I just sat watching the intro with my jaw on the floor. Amazing work and makes me wonder why the software houses in the day didn't bother to do these games as they quality of this is so good it really shows up the mega drive.

Will be trying the AGA version tonight, again on the CD32 once I get it onto the CF card.
Old 29 March 2018, 23:37   #23
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! It's been a crazy week for me as I recently became a dad. Road Avenger Amiga was published the day my son got born, so it's dedicated to him (sort of)!

@Glen M: If they had this made back then it would have blown off the competition entirely! It's a real question why nobody attempted something similar... Imagine this being made in the late '80s f.e. Surely 2mb machines and x2 cd roms or hefty HDDs were not so common but...

Last edited by Tsak; 29 March 2018 at 23:43.
Old 30 March 2018, 02:37   #24
ransom1122

HDFs for AGA & OCS of anyone is interested.

http://uptobox.com/zootikh702x9/Road Avenger (AGA) [HDF].hdf
http://uptobox.com/42bg5jjxx56k/Road Avenger (OCS) [HDF].hdf
Old 30 March 2018, 03:05   #25
earok

Cheers all! Response has been larger and much more positive than I expected - a QTE/FMV game was never going to set the Amiga world alight, but I've nonetheless been pleased to see people have been enjoying it for what it is.

Time for a quick media roundup:

Covered on IndieRetroNews, MO5, Generation Amiga, RetroMania.

Videos featured on Saberman's channel [ Show youtube player ] channel, Petsajim's channel, [ Show youtube player ]channel, Amitopia [ Show youtube player ].

Amiga Bill livestreamed [ Show youtube player ] the premier of the OCS beta version over a month ago, and featured the release AGA version on his stream today stream today (he's also uploaded a version of the stream that's just the Road Avenger part). As a happy coincidence, Amiten and Ms Mad Lemon featured the game on their show immediately afterwards, and I happened to be around to give a live interview [ Show youtube player ].

(Or at least, I think that happened! The video above seems to be the last two hours of the stream which I unfortunately wasn't present for.)

Predseda was very quick with getting the Lemon Amiga page up and running, kudos!
Old 30 March 2018, 10:32   #26
Glen M

I tried the AGA version last night on my CD32 with TF328 running from DH2: (drive I use for HDD installs) but it keeps crashing with a software failure either as soon as the interactive portion of the game would start or shortly after.

The CF card is setup with classic workbench lite, all partitions are formatted with PFS3.

It might be that I extracted the lha in windows and just copied the folder across with winuae so I will try to extract the LHA in winuae using dopus. I did it in windows to save time as its a large file.

BTW the aga version, its intro is beautiful. I'd say its near as be damned the full laserdisc quality. Actually I have some poorly mastered laserdiscs that look worse than this.

Last edited by Glen M; 30 March 2018 at 11:36.
Old 30 March 2018, 10:35   #27
Seiya

well, laser games as alwasy liked to me, but these games i insert in various my collection to preserve it and share also outside Amiga comunity, where there retro gamers that yet don't know Amiga Games. (maybe, all retro gamers well known amiga, but they lost some gems)

Last edited by Seiya; 30 March 2018 at 10:40.
Old 30 March 2018, 12:42   #28
Etze
A3000-Fan

I wonder if some of the other Laserdisc games could be "easily" ported, too?

Something like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Cobra Command, Thayers Quest. Or even Mad Dog Mc Cree or M.A.C.H. 3. .... or any of the other cool releases....
Old 30 March 2018, 13:18   #29
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the comments! It's been a crazy week for me as I recently became a dad. Road Avenger Amiga was published the day my son got born, so it's dedicated to him (sort of)!
Many congratulations to you and your lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
HDFs for AGA & OCS of anyone is interested.

http://uptobox.com/zootikh702x9/Road Avenger (AGA) [HDF].hdf
http://uptobox.com/42bg5jjxx56k/Road Avenger (OCS) [HDF].hdf
LOL; I create a bare-bones .HDF on Thursday night but have been too busy to upload until now.

Only just checked the thread...

Anyway, here's my one for the AGA version: https://mega.nz/#!hihl0TgQ!KbS3bQHKF...LjpfozkdrqvWyo
Old 30 March 2018, 14:25   #30
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
I wonder if some of the other Laserdisc games could be "easily" ported, too?

Something like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Cobra Command, Thayers Quest. Or even Mad Dog Mc Cree or M.A.C.H. 3. .... or any of the other cool releases....
Yes, theoretically porting more laserdisk games is not too difficult for us having a reliable engine ready. There is of course a ton of side work preparing these releases to be in line with our quality standards which indeed takes time, plus there are the active IPs which we need to be in line with, in order not to have legal issues (f.e. Road Avenger's IP has expired which is one reason we could port this, in contrast to Dragon's lair which is still active and sold to Steam and various other platforms).

Having said the above we're not so keen continuing with yet another laserdisk port. Road Avenger and Time Gal are (imho) the best, most playable and presentable examples of the entire genre and I don't find much reason to continue this trend with other, less polished titles. Besides, we 've got much more interesting games we want to port, tinker with or create, so the possibility of Reimagine porting another laserdisk to Amiga is dim. Perhaps in the far future, but we'll see about that
Old 30 March 2018, 14:55   #31
Seiya

Time Gal and Road Avengers has arrows on screen that become more easy to play. Super Don Chixotte (don't remember the right name) has the same system and it's a fantastic laser game.
Old 30 March 2018, 15:18   #32
Etze
A3000-Fan

Thank you , Tsak. I didn't think of the IP. And of course I fully understand that you don't want to port mediocre or worse games for the rest of your life... :-)
Old 30 March 2018, 22:03   #33
Superman

Nice work on this one guys it plays really well.
Old 30 March 2018, 22:59   #34
thairacerjp

so like i said in my last message i have played today and it's stunning
i have never been a fan of games like space ace but this one is great choice, i a fan of racing games and i find good sensations, it's near real time cause it's so much good gameplay and fun to play ! it play like a charm on my CD32 , i will try later the hdf version but i still don't know how to make it work , earok did you say my pm last time about conversion, i would like to do a good cdxl conversion.......
cheers all ! have good time with this game !
ps Amiเga jay, you cover is great !!! thanks !!

Last edited by thairacerjp; 30 March 2018 at 23:19.
Old 31 March 2018, 20:16   #35
Kitty

Lovely
Old 31 March 2018, 21:09   #36
Wachi

Thumbs up

It works perfectly on my CD32 with TF328, both the CD version and the HDD version.
Congratulations for this fantastic work.
Old 01 April 2018, 01:47   #37
Sinphaltimus

Thank you. This is excellent. never played before now. It's a lot of fun ECS V500 here.
Old 01 April 2018, 02:40   #38
DamienD
Banned

Yeah guys; this game is friggin' awesome

...had a good bash last night; much harder / more extreme than "Time Girl" and requires lightning quick reflexes.

Again; many thanks for all your hard work bringing new stuff to the Amiga earok and Tsak!!!
Old 01 April 2018, 05:58   #39
earok

Eep, I keep missing updates! Thanks a whole bunch guys!

I've teased the idea of looking at other FMV ports in the past but Tsak's right.. between the lighthearted-and-funny Timegal and the intense/gritty Road Avenger, the ones we've ported are amongst the best out there (IMO) and the more well known ones out there are either still trademarked or sold. And of course, our release slate is full for at least the end of the year. Though it's entirely conceivable that we'll dust off Timegal with the updated Road Avenger engine for an AGA edition.

I've had intermittent reports of some difficulty playing an HDD version (perhaps just the AGA edition?), such as like Glenn reported, though I don't have any such way of replicating issues at my end (only having a bare bones CD32, which it has no problems on). It's fortunate that everyone who has reported the issue has had an alternative way of playing the game (from CD or another AGA machine than the one it was playing up on) but if I can come up with a solution I'll post a patch.

Also - Floppy Drive version is on the way!

Old 01 April 2018, 10:24   #40
Amigajay

Sweet! Do you need 2 drives or how is the disk swapping with one?