English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 August 2018, 22:05   #41
nexus

yeah i hate the d-pad divided up like that

try playing nes contra on a xbox 360 controller lol hitting down you can easily move forward and kill yourself

1 thing i never understood is how people like the nes max controller

had friends growing up that loved that thing

Last edited by nexus; 02 August 2018 at 22:11.
Old 03 August 2018, 07:17   #42
ruinashiro

Mostly what everyone else said.
Poor quality dpad and buttons, not a great layout. No problem ergonomically, except:
The protrusions on the dpad feel like razor spikes 30 minutes into a game.
And I broke more of them than for any other system.
Old 03 August 2018, 09:41   #43
Leffmann

The directional pad was a bit bulky, other than that I liked it very much.
Old 03 August 2018, 10:34   #44
Glen M

I find the pad fairly comfortable to hold. I think its a good size. The 4 face buttons and shoulder buttons are fine the d-pad isn't great and the start button is a spongy mess. My biggest complaint however is the angle of the D-Pad. It sites at a slight angle which for me makes it unnatural to align your thumb to. It can lead to difficulty in my eyes for games that require specific inputs such as beat em ups.

I think to make it better the buttons should of have slightly more travel to give a more response to the user. The D-pad should have been straight and the face of it should have been deeper.

One of my favorite controllers is the original xbox, yes the duke. Its bulky and heavy in the hand making it feel strong and it keeps your hands focused. The dpad is very good and the buttons are all responsive. Can we make an adapter for it?
Old 03 August 2018, 11:12   #45
BSzili
old chunk of coal

I can see what they were going for with the angled d-pad, it's about the same as my thumb's angle when I hold the controller, but I'm just too used to straight D-pads from other controllers at this point.
I wish somebody made clones of the Competition Pro / Honeybee controller. I'm just a sucker for the 1st gen Mega Driver gamepad style.
Old 03 August 2018, 17:26   #46
nexus

that all above about the angle is really due to how big you are and where you like your arms to rest eg:
i love the wiiu gamepad and how wide it is
i can keep my arms straight and wrists with elbows to the sides instead of elbows being more into your chest/stomach
Old 06 August 2018, 19:17   #47
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
We need a wireless CD32 pad. Anybody working on a PCB for that? Should fit into a real SNES or Mega Drive 6 button case.
I have been looking into this, I have already made quite solid software for my wired CD32 gamepad that could be used for the receiver circuit. Like @Daedalus said, would be nice to have more time for projects like this.
Old 06 August 2018, 21:56   #48
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ah, thanks for the info. Looking forward to test something in the (hopefully) near future.
Old 15 August 2018, 11:53   #49
Anachronist

I wonder if one of the wireless solutions for Sega Genesis/Megadrive controllers would work with the CD32 controller?
Old 15 August 2018, 12:04   #50
Gordon
Settler

I know wireless playstation 2 controllers work when used with the CD32 PSX adapter.
Old 15 August 2018, 12:13   #51
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
I wonder if one of the wireless solutions for Sega Genesis/Megadrive controllers would work with the CD32 controller?
The Megadrive controller is very different to the CD32 controller so I guess not.

On the subject of wireless, yesterday I finished a prototype of a wireless version of my KTRL CD32. I was able to reuse my pcbs with some mods + most of my previous code. Seems to work great with all the features of the wired version (with the bonus of the entire dpad being remappable). Reliable range seems to be at least 6 meters and the added input lag is about 600µs (not much).

It would take some time to get proper pcbs etc. made for this version. I'm going to start a new thread and look for help, since I would not have time to assemble any of these myself, would need to find a better method of production to make this a viable project.
Old 15 August 2018, 17:28   #52
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Great news. Can't wait to test one of your wireless pads. Hopefully somebody can help you with the production/assembling process.
Old 15 August 2018, 22:42   #53
DanyPPC

Wireless pad for Amiga ? WoW
Old 12 October 2018, 05:33   #54
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
The Megadrive controller is very different to the CD32 controller so I guess not.
The protocol used is different but any micro controller could easily support both or convert from one to the other (and vice versa). It should be fairly easy to build a MegaDrive/Genesis-to-Amiga adapter which translates the protocol to CD32 and vice versa, thus allowing all MD/Genesis controllers to be transparently usable on games which support the CD32 protocol.
Old 12 October 2018, 07:35   #55
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
The protocol used is different but any micro controller could easily support both or convert from one to the other (and vice versa). It should be fairly easy to build a MegaDrive/Genesis-to-Amiga adapter which translates the protocol to CD32 and vice versa, thus allowing all MD/Genesis controllers to be transparently usable on games which support the CD32 protocol.
Sure, but this adapter would need to be designed, programmed and built by someone. But then, only six button Mega Drive gamepads could be used as a CD32 gamepad replacement and the button layout / colours on those are different (mainly no shoulder buttons, only face buttons).
Old 12 October 2018, 11:35   #56
Photon

USB adapter would be ace, then you could basically get the controller you like

Or even one you already have. Obviously I could roll my own, but I suspect I'd need the small PCB from a CD32 one? Could be hard to fit it. I haven't actually looked at the schematics, I got two controllers when AmigaKit had them. Anyone have schematics? I have a spare controller that I could hack.
Old 19 October 2018, 10:16   #57
retronut0001

I just bought an adapter so I can use 6 button Megadrive pads on the CD32. I dont mind the original CD32 pad, but always love the Megadrive pads, so it was a no brainer.

Old 19 October 2018, 13:36   #58
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by retronut0001 View Post
I just bought an adapter so I can use 6 button Megadrive pads on the CD32. I dont mind the original CD32 pad, but always love the Megadrive pads, so it was a no brainer.

Any link? I'm interested too.

edit: Ah, found it. Probably this one, right? Bought it. Hopefully it works with my wireless Joyzz (perfect Sega 6 button pad from KRIKZZ) too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega...Doik:rk:1:pf:0

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 19 October 2018 at 13:47.
Old 19 October 2018, 13:46   #59
Gordon
Settler

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Mega...Doik:rk:2:pf:0
Old 19 October 2018, 14:27   #60
retronut0001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Yes those are the ones, should be with me in the next week or so.