English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Green Amiga Alien GUIDES

Old 11 September 2018, 17:56   #1261
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Just copied ptplay.library to libs and instant crash on launch of HD-Rec. Deleted library and it runs well.
Old 02 October 2018, 04:33   #1262
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Amithlon booting off the A2000 3.1.4 Kickstart and 3.1.4 installed Workbench.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WB314.png
Views:	472
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	60090

Replaced the kickstart in smallird.gz with the A2000 3.1.4 kickstart and previously installed 3.1.4 under WinUAE. I compressed (.lha) the sys: volume and moved the .lha file to my Amithlon system and uncompressed it to a new bootable volume. Copying the required files for Amithlon and my Picasso96 settings I rebooted the PC to launch Amithlon with the new smallird.gz file and double mouse buttoned to the early boot menu to select the 3.1.4 volume.

Lots of setup/tweaking still needed...but definitely curious in how 3.1.4 will compare to 3.9 once it's fully setup.
Old 02 October 2018, 06:16   #1263
gulliver
BoingBagged

Good and interesting job.

Keep us updated.
Old 06 October 2018, 15:58   #1264
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Side-stepped for the moment, didn't realize how much I had added/modified my Amithlon stock system and bringing up a new 3.1.4 system to be similar is going to take quite a bit of effort and time.

I copied out each section of the updater script and modified each as needed. DF0: references were changed to the appropriate ImageMount mounted .adf and I wasn't sure about coping mfm.device as mine has been patched by catweasel software so that I can read/write Amiga floppies on my Amithlon system.

Otherwise, all copied, rebooted from power off and the only thing I've had to revert is the printer.device (failed to open/init printer.device, something like that). Running some basic test right now (sysinfo v4, SysSpeed). Overall similar performance, which I expected, though intuition test are generally faster with one or two slightly slower. Graphics test are a mix of faster/slower with faster being 1.70 times faster and slower being as low as .75 times my baseline. Mostly .98 - 1.0x with a number of 1.2x, 1.3x and up to 1.70 so more gain than loss.

I was using layers.library 45.27 previously so the 45.30 seems to be an improvement. The new 45.10 intuition.library definitely seems to be an improvement plus off screen/edge window movement.

I believe someone else had posted elsewhere that imagemount no longer works...which is my experience as well. This a bummer so I'll need to find an alternative method to mount .adf, .iso and/or .hdf files.

I'm also using CacheCDFS for CD0, trying to use the new cd filesystem wouldn't mount cds. AmigaOS 3.9 cd mounted with a floppy image as a CDDA disc, no other cd's would mount at all. Modified the tooltypes with cdrom.device (Amithlon's cdrom.device) and tried amithlon.device (Amithlon's IDE/SATA/SCSI device) with the correct ID. Also the CD0 mountlist...

Last edited by SnkBitten; 06 October 2018 at 16:28.
Old 06 October 2018, 17:08   #1265
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

One additional issue....battclock.resource isn't compatible with Amithlon so time isn't saved and resets to Jan 1, 1978

Amithlon injects it's own battclock.resource and possibly battmem.resource and the newer version in the ROM is preventing that. Tried LoadModule DOWNGRADE option and version reports the older ones now....but still unable to save time.
Old 06 October 2018, 20:20   #1266
gulliver
BoingBagged

ImageMount not working issue has been fixed. It will be released with the update of the update.

The issue was that requestchoice was now made to work according to specification, and amigaos has always been implementing it out of spec. So ImageMount expects the old known behaviour.

It is a crazy world.
Old 11 October 2018, 19:38   #1267
UserH

It's the 0.10 beta off the programs official side SnkBitten.

I tried removing the PT play library.. which makes HD-Rec complain it can't find it.. But it's still causing Amithlon to soft reset after it's been launched.. I tried the icon files to launch both the 68k and x86 binaries of it.. but it's still the same result at the end of the day.

I also tried V4 of the CAMD library.. But neither HD-Rec or any other CAMD lib using program will not run with V4 of the CAMD lib.. So I went back to CAMD V2 and everything will run.. minus HD-Rec..

I don't know what else I can do.. This is royally starting to bug the crap out of me.
Old 11 October 2018, 20:14   #1268
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I'm using camd.library v40.4 and HD-REC beta 0.10 (HD-Rec_Amithlon) with HD-Rec V0.10 Beta (06.02.2012) displayed in the top menu bar.

Without the ptplay.library it pops up a requester telling me for MOD import, HD-Rec needs the ptplay.library and I just click "OK" and it loads and runs fine otherwise (though MOD import would be non-functional).

I have AHI configured with my SoundBlaster card as EMU10kx:HiFi 16 bit stereo++

It does throw up another System Request looking for TBImages in any drive....I cancel that as well.

About shows:

Name:	HD-rec.png
Views:	351
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	60215

** I also don't have any MIDI devices either...if that makes a difference.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:08   #1269
UserH

Both the 68k and x86 versions display a message about the ptplay lib is missing.. There's then a long pause while nothing else shows up.. Amiga OS is still usable and I can launch other things while this is happening, if I try to run another instance of HD-Rec.. it gives me another error about it's already running and them Amithlon soon throws another hissy fit and soft resets..

It will ask for TB images when running under Amiga OS 3.1 in UAE.. But will not progress any further on Amiga OS 3.9 on Amithlon, before it resets.

I've followed your guide the best of my ability, So I should at least have a near identical copy to your own Amthilon set up? I'm running AmigaOS 3.9 from AmigaXL with Kern4 for the Linux side.

I'm also using an Emu10k dsp based card like you are.. An SB Live! AHI and CAMD ok with it.

Going off coarse a bit here.. Could it be something to do with the lack of full graphics acceleration for RTG? As the onboard ATI Rage chip the test machine has can only run under standard VESA.
Old 12 October 2018, 03:36   #1270
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

So clicking "OK" to close that missing ptplay.library requester just does nothing? Mine immediately pops up the TBImages requester and opens up the GUI for HD-Rec.

I would run SnoopDos and see if catches what it's calling and failing on.

Other than that, it could be it's looking for a defined screen bound to the RTG card. You can try binding the VESA in Picasso96Screenmode and trying that. Make sure to test the screenmodes in Picasso96Screenmode.

Raise the stack, try reducing commodities in wbstartup, reduce patching in the startup-sequence, etc...

Don't use default settings in AHI, up the bit rate, etc..

Name:	HD-AHI.png
Views:	308
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	60223

I run a 1280x720 @ 32bit workbench screen, opening HD-Rec opened it's own 1280x720 (based on grabbing the screen with SGrab and looking at the properties of it on my PC).

Name:	HD-RecGUI.png
Views:	267
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	60222

While my guide is pretty complete, it's nowhere close to how my machine is setup. It's a basic install of Amithlon and getting all the devices working (if compatible). I've added numerous libraries and utilities and what not specific to my needs and or hardware.

I'm also running the x86 AHI install with the needed run_elf in my user-startup.
Old 13 October 2018, 02:58   #1271
UserH

Yup.. it's just a long pause after dismissing the PT play lib error message, while it seems to be pondering the meaning of life in the background and then.. BAM! Amithlon throws yet another soft rest..

I think the test machine's install is running the 68k version of AHI.. I tried the i686 version of it on the first install, but it seems to didn't support or play well with my SB Live! card.. So I just stuck with the 68k version of it instead.

I'll give those things you've suggested a go over the next few days, when I can.. I'm currently trying to juggle this and other things at the moment.. so it might be a while before I "chime in" again on this post.

Would you be interested my Amithlon vmdk disk image I was using for Virtual Box btw SnkBitten? It seems to exhibiting the same behavior with Amithlon crashing when I try and launch HD-Rec on it as well, I'm just wondering if that might help with tracking down the issue?
Old 13 October 2018, 03:20   #1272
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I can take a look at it, just make sure to describe your Virtualbox settings for the VM as well so I can match your config.

As for the i686 version of AHI, you need the missing files from the 68k version (it's mentioned in the readme's I believe) as well as having run_elf PATCH in your user-startup.
Old 13 October 2018, 23:57   #1273
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

Okay, working with Doobrey and testing a new version of ROMSplit I was able to split the stock Kickstart 3.1.4 ROM and replace the modules (battclock.resource and battmem.resource) with the Amithlon versions. Once placed in to smallird.gz and booting I was able to save time again. Of course I slipped in the new intuition.library while I was building the ROM as well....so no more LoadModule in my startup-sequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnkBitten View Post
One additional issue....battclock.resource isn't compatible with Amithlon so time isn't saved and resets to Jan 1, 1978

Amithlon injects it's own battclock.resource and possibly battmem.resource and the newer version in the ROM is preventing that. Tried LoadModule DOWNGRADE option and version reports the older ones now....but still unable to save time.
Old 14 October 2018, 03:07   #1274
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

And following the details in this post

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1274259&postcount=8

I have ImageMount working again.
Old 17 October 2018, 00:45   #1275
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

It's been a while since I've read this thread. I hope that this point has not been addressed. Just for info & fun : PCem thread
Old 21 October 2018, 09:05   #1276
UserH

I will message you a link to DL my Amithlon disk image and other misc info about the settings for it SnkBitten.

In the mean time though.. I tried messing around with Snoop D..O.. double S.. when I had a few days free.. And the results where to say.. pretty inconclusive..

It was pointing fingers towards the Zlib and OpenPCI libarys.. So I replaced those with newer versions.. But it was still resulting in the Amithlon emulator throwing a soft reset of the emulated 68040 or just outright crashing and burning.. Sometimes I'd also have an issue where it would throw a hissy fit when HD-Rec loaded the OpenPCI lib while SnoopDOS was running.. And other times with SnoopDOS was not running.. It load up as it usually does, complain it can't find the PTplay lib and TB images dir.. then Amithlon would reset soon after the long pause without HR-Rec showing up, but still running in the background. also the SnoopDOS error log would ether be empty or have the peace of text missing that I saw briefly in it's window at the time Amithlon reset.

So I'm kinda at a loss again.. With the whole HD-Rec saga.. I'm going to see if I can get a PCI GeForce 2 MX.. and if might might solve the issue when Amithlon is running with full on graphics acceleration.. But that'll have to be when I have enough money spare to get one.
Old 07 January 2019, 20:49   #1277
savior

Hi All

agan have on old pentium 4 at 1,7 ghz with geforce 4 mx 64 mb, the sistem work very well, do not have a problem, for example when unarchived the file(also big) do not freeze all system, and i can use other resource on multitasking mode, program ecc..ecc..., before had on intel core 2 duo, the sistem was dramatic.

amithlon is best
Old 12 January 2019, 03:49   #1278
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I ran a "make module" in SysSpeed 2.4 on my Amithlon system in case anyone wanted to compare it to their setup. It's on Aminet
http://aminet.net/package/util/moni/...n-SysSpeed-Dat

This was all the High and Low test except for PPC, of course, and External.

Amithlon running a modified A500 Kickstart 3.1.4, WorkBench 3.9 + BB2 + 3.1.4 over-layed and the recently released P96 from icomp.de.
Old 12 January 2019, 05:27   #1279
gulliver
BoingBagged

Thank you for the upload. Now I have a more current performance estimate of Amithlon performance.
Old 12 January 2019, 15:14   #1280
Zoltar3.1

Very interesting. I visited the web page, but did not find any Download section, for testing. Is not available now? Where can be found?