English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 July 2017, 23:16   #1441
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
May sound stupid but I never claimed to be smart.
Never mind, what you describe is the opposite of smart. Incompatibility with a device because of its name, what will they come up with next?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 July 2017, 08:21   #1442
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
I'm guessing it's more of a problem with DMA. Try some more pedestrian controller such as Golem, Supra, Alfapower, etc..
Old 13 July 2017, 08:22   #1443
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
even if another scsi.device would be autoloaded from rom or such the OS is smart enough to rename it then to 2nd.scsi.device....
It is device driver's job to check if same device (name) already exists and rename itself. OS does not do any name checks.

I am not sure if that ancient GVP driver does it but ROM IDE driver surely does.

EDIT: Series II is not ancient, I thought you meant the first GVP HDs that did use scsi.device or at least something else than gvpscsi.device. So yes, it most likely is DMA related. None of A500 or Z2 DMA SCSI controllers can work (or at least work without being really slow) with any accelerator that has memory outside of first 16M. A500/Z2 DMA controllers are 24-bit only.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 13 July 2017 at 08:29.
Old 13 July 2017, 10:45   #1444
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is device driver's job to check if same device (name) already exists and rename itself. OS does not do any name checks.
Oh! thanks for explaining!

I kind of assumed the OS would handle this, its a bit weird to have this delegated to the driver but hey, Amiga :-)
Old 15 July 2017, 00:05   #1445
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

There is a thing i could never find out regardless how hard i try; where did the amigaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! meme came?
Old 15 July 2017, 10:10   #1446
andyhants

Seeing file comments in WB / KS 1.3

I am running AmiKit & ClassicWB Winuae installs for running new demos off Pouet which I have ordered by a drawer by year, so 2017 , 2016 etc. I prefer to view the contents by filename rather than icon as I use the comments field to describe each demo.

My question is for old school OCS/ECS demos that need to run in a KS / WB 1.3 environment can I create the same sort of thing? So is there a way I can view drawers under KS 1.3 by filename rather than icon & also see the comments field for a file? I know most old school demos are released as ADFs but I prefer to extract the EXE file so I can have the same sort of setup as I have under AmiKit & ClassicWB.

I'm also wondering if there is a File Manager for KS / WB 1.3 that would achieve the same thing ?

Thanks for any help.
Old 16 July 2017, 02:42   #1447
idrougge

Never in the Workbench. Use the shell instead.

DirWork is an old work horse under 1.3, but I don't remember if it will show you filenames. Old versions of Filemaster may (or may not) work as well.
Old 16 July 2017, 16:18   #1448
Zarchos

Why do most Amiga owners despise the Acorn Archimedes, when they never owned one, never saw one, have no clue whatsoever of the hardware, applications, utilities and games these computers had ?
Old 16 July 2017, 16:37   #1449
jotd
Cat freak

I don't know anything about Acorn Archimedes, but I don't despise it, just because the Bitmap Bros ported a lot of games to this platform. Actually I'd like to own one just to see the versions of those games on this platform.
Old 16 July 2017, 16:49   #1450
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViLXDRYAD View Post
There is a thing i could never find out regardless how hard i try; where did the amigaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! meme came?
Go to a demo party, drink a couple bottles of wodka.
Old 16 July 2017, 17:28   #1451
Zarchos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I don't know anything about Acorn Archimedes, but I don't despise it, just because the Bitmap Bros ported a lot of games to this platform. Actually I'd like to own one just to see the versions of those games on this platform.
Actually Krisalis or Eclipse did the ports, not the BBs.
Old 16 July 2017, 18:33   #1452
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
Why do most Amiga owners despise the Acorn Archimedes, when they never owned one, never saw one, have no clue whatsoever of the hardware, applications, utilities and games these computers had ?
Because many of those remaining in the Amiga community(/ies) are basically religious fanatics about their chosen platform, and can't bear the possibility that people might like another platform, regardless of technical inferiority or superiority. They're generally quite loud too so you'll notice them more, but thankfully there are many more level-headed people around who don't make such irrational judgements.
Old 16 July 2017, 22:39   #1453
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

Quote:
Sadly, there is no demo party any near here = c

BUT got the idea, thanks fam!
Old 17 July 2017, 00:55   #1454
idrougge

Quote:
Most? I think about one percent of Amiga owners have ever heard of an Archimedes.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:13   #1455
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

I've heard of it passing through certain corners of the internet and by no means do I hate it. I really don't hate any computers in general, they are just tools and I don't expect people to have the same tools I have.

I only collect, use, mod computers from my personal past. I have a Windows 98 box for some old games, my A500 and my next favorite, the TI-99/4a of which I have two systems, one very modded without the PEB and one not modded at all connected to a modded PEB.

I know nothing of the ACORNs. Always wanted a C64 but not going to start collecting another old system - Just now starting to play with C64 emulation.

I had an Apple IIe once. Played a lot of games on it. don't feel like collecting that tho. It wasn't mine soley, it was a shared machine so my love for it wasn't all that much.

The Amiga and TI are my two favorite old computers because they broke barriers with me and gave me a huge sense of digital exploration and discovery when they came out.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:08   #1456
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Quote:
.. or just observe .. :-)

There's a certain moment, wayy past the Ballmer peak, when a scener is amiga-drunk.
Old 17 July 2017, 15:10   #1457
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Because many of those remaining in the Amiga community(/ies) are basically religious fanatics about their chosen platform, and can't bear the possibility that people might like another platform, regardless of technical inferiority or superiority. They're generally quite loud too so you'll notice them more, but thankfully there are many more level-headed people around who don't make such irrational judgements.
Mind you, the same goes for pretty much all retro computer communities, sadly. Take a look at an average Sinclair, Atari or say... Acorn forum and you'll see the very same happen about the Amiga (or Commodore 64, etc.)...

I think all machines have their worth and fully recognize that I'll be always biased towards the ones I personally used back then. I just wish more people would realize that about themselves.
Old 17 July 2017, 15:36   #1458
Gorf

Quote:
What gives you that impression?
I never heard anything bad about Archimedes from Amiga fans.

When I still had my very first computer, a C64, i read about the Archimedes in a magazine and was blown away. I would have bought one but absolutely no-one in our area was using it. I couldn't even find one in the usual computer stores.
So I upgraded to an Amiga 500 instead and became a huge Amiga fan.

Acorn was somehow non existent outside of UK - at least that is my impression.
I do not know the reason for that.
Old 17 July 2017, 15:48   #1459
demolition
Unregistered User

I have also never heard any negativity against Acorn from Commodore users, but Acorns were also not really sold here in Denmark as far as I know. I've actually never seen one IRL. There's some Commodore vs. Atari bashing here but it's mostly teasing and not so much 'despise'. I was a Commodore guy myself since I never knew anyone with an Atari. Ataris were sold here but mostly towards musicians while Amiga has the gaming market.
Old 18 July 2017, 02:09   #1460
EugeneNine

Same here, never heard anything bad about Acorn; now those two-bit Atari's...
AdSense AdSense