English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 July 2017, 10:24   #181
Zener

This is great, I'm looking forward to play your game

1. It is planned for next versions
2. Can you specify the feature you would like to have?
3. This should be already possible, do you mean something like this? [ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 July 2017, 10:53   #182
vulture

Yeah, that seems like enough physics for what I have in mind!

About the colour cycling, well, I'd like to have a specified colour of a tile to be able to change its values from, say r10 g10 b10 to r10 g10 b100 (just a rough example here). Or something along those lines. If possible of course.

It's gonna take a while as it's gonna be an one man project (most likely) , but it'll happen! Hopefully, it'll be good enough
Old 10 July 2017, 13:00   #183
Zener

You'll see you can progress quickly once you learned the basics
Old 10 July 2017, 16:40   #184
vulture

I'm sure redpill will be the least of time consuming things. I'm doing all the gfx and I'm trying to recall how on earth did I manage to make module tracks 20 years ago. That'll definitely take some time And I need it all to be stylish and playable, so , better late than lame
Old 10 July 2017, 22:32   #185
Tsak

@Vulture, good initiative man!
Should you need help with anything feel free to reach!

@Zener:
If I haven't already, I'd like to also thank you for your awesome work!
Trully this program does an amazing service to the community, people have been asking for something like this (including me) for ages!

Other than that (and I know it may be early) I'd like to ask if there is any performance optimisation on the horizon (I'm talking about the games output, not the program itself). Beyond any feature, this is what most of us are really waiting for. It's also the main gripe with Backbone (while Redpill already obliterates it in -almost- any other aspect).

Performance aside here's my own "wish list" of features:
  • Hardware sprites! That's a huge one, obviously it's gonna be a real helper on performance as well.
  • Copperlists for palette color changes on demand. I think this is what Vulture asks for also.
  • A way to create menus and UIs in-game. (*edit* I see there is a HUD option already)
  • Control options and score.
  • Support for bitmap fonts.
  • Some sort of a storyboard/dialogue tree for player interactions, cutscenes e.t.c. Not so much a priority as Redpill is focused more on the action right now but it's an amazing expansion non the less as this will open the way to cross genre stuff.

Last edited by Tsak; 10 July 2017 at 22:41.
Old 11 July 2017, 15:25   #186
vulture

Thx for your offer Tsak!

And I've to say, I pretty much agree with this wish list, especially points 1,2 and 4.
Old 12 July 2017, 15:11   #187
Zener

@Tsak Thank you for your nice words.

There was a small optimization in the last update, but I won't expect a big change in the following versions as there are some important things that needs to be added. When RedPill is feature complete I will start with the full optimization.
Old 13 July 2017, 02:01   #188
Tsak

Sounds good!

Would you like to give us an outline of what is to come? Some sort of a small roadmap perhaps.
Old 13 July 2017, 14:07   #189
Zener

This is coming for the next version:
v0.5.4
-Maximum number of frames increased from 100 to 320.
-Platform code has been reviewed to avoid artifacts.
-Project spritesheet is loaded on project loading, no need to reload it ecah time.
-Bigger default camera limits, full map limit as default.
-Scroll is now working on the tile selection screen and tile properties screen.
-Sprite sheet slices are less prone to crash the program when something unexpected happens.
-Added action trigger to set a game object visible or not.
-Fixed a bug on angle initializing causing some objects to start on incorrect angles.
-Fixed a bug that was showing different frame offsets between the animation screen and the runtime.

And some big things for the future are:
-Parent objects, this means having objects with a position relative to another object
-Support for more than 10 levels, this means some big internal changes
-Flash and screenshake functions
-Input menu support, including mouse support if possible (let's do some shooters)
-HUD and text improvements
Old 14 July 2017, 13:27   #190
vulture

Brilliant stuff are acoming!

Last edited by vulture; 14 July 2017 at 15:46.
Old 15 July 2017, 20:36   #191
Zener

You can try v0.5.4 already, get it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzh...ZabzhZT1U/view
Old 16 July 2017, 21:31   #192
vulture

Thx m8!
Old 21 July 2017, 20:51   #193
Lemming880

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for the update. Here's my first test. I used images from my game Boxx but only for testing. But is there any way to run this faster? This is tested in WinUAE A1200/020. When I set it on 030 or higher, the screen will start flickering/tearing up.

Another 'bug' happens when I edit a level and often switch between level and tiles, then after some minutes I can't switch to tiles anymore. Restarting the program fixes this.

And a question about programming. Is there a way to make a 'invincibility timer'? Making the player invincible for 2 seconds after being hit by an enemy.

And will ladders be included?

Last edited by Lemming880; 21 July 2017 at 21:08.
Old 22 July 2017, 00:27   #194
nobody

From my experiments I found that when use scrolling it gets slower. When you use static screen it's faster.
You have to play with variables to make invisible effect.
Then about ladders it's simple: make a ladder tile place on map and then add a trigger: "when tile is = ... (Ladder tile number) and p1 press up then set speed y=-1" or whatever.
With the present speed of the executable it's almost impossible to make a decent game, it needs to be vastly improved on this matter. Also lots of triggers slow down the program.
Old 22 July 2017, 08:44   #195
Tarzin

@Zener,
can RedPill be localised?
I can translate it to French
Old 22 July 2017, 14:38   #196
Lemming880

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
From my experiments I found that when use scrolling it gets slower. When you use static screen it's faster.
You have to play with variables to make invisible effect.
Then about ladders it's simple: make a ladder tile place on map and then add a trigger: "when tile is = ... (Ladder tile number) and p1 press up then set speed y=-1" or whatever.
With the present speed of the executable it's almost impossible to make a decent game, it needs to be vastly improved on this matter. Also lots of triggers slow down the program.
Thanks I got a working ladder now. Well I can't exit from the top yet. Maybe I can use a platform tile for that. For now I made the ladder one tile higher so I can exit from the sides. I did manage to have the player stand still on the ladder when up or down is released (then Gravity = 0). If any direction is pressed then gravity is on again.

If the game gets slower with more triggers then the irony is that simple things like a ladder need alot of triggers. It could be good to have more prefab stuff like ladders to make the game faster.

I also noticed single screen works alot better so I'll try to make a demo with that.
Old 22 July 2017, 20:14   #197
Zener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming880 View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for the update. Here's my first test. I used images from my game Boxx but only for testing. But is there any way to run this faster? This is tested in WinUAE A1200/020. When I set it on 030 or higher, the screen will start flickering/tearing up.

Another 'bug' happens when I edit a level and often switch between level and tiles, then after some minutes I can't switch to tiles anymore. Restarting the program fixes this.

And a question about programming. Is there a way to make a 'invincibility timer'? Making the player invincible for 2 seconds after being hit by an enemy.

And will ladders be included?
First of all, thanks for giving RedPill a try! Definitely there should be a way to make it run faster in WinUAE, my config in indeed a 030 one. Are you using the debug version or the normal one?

Games should run "a bit" faster on the player than in the editor but there is certainly way for improvement in terms of performance, remember RedPill is still pre-alpha, is still lacks some features and a lot of polishment and usability. From the video I suspect the bottleneck in that case is the CPU usage.

Ladders are in the feature list, I think they will come at some point, I hope it is soon

Invincibility is something that can be done with the trigger system. I haven't tryed myself, but it should be doable with a Globals, set it as a timer and with value of (2 seconds). Whenever you want to activate it, c start the timer with "activate timer". Then you can check if the timer is running with "timer active" condition.
Old 22 July 2017, 20:16   #198
Zener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzin View Post
@Zener,
can RedPill be localised?
I can translate it to French
Many thanks for the offer but right now it is not supported. It would be difficult anyway because there is very little space for texts
Old 22 July 2017, 22:56   #199
Lemming880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
First of all, thanks for giving RedPill a try!
No problem. Thank you for making the program.

I tried again with A1200/030 but it doesn't seem faster than 020. But the screen doesn't flicker on 030 like I said earlier. That happens from 040 and up. I tested both normal and debug.

And of course I understand it's alpha so I'll have to bite my teeth until it's faster than backbone. Btw do you mean amiga cpu or pc cpu?

Great to hear a ladder is coming. And I'll try that trick with the timer, thanks. There are so many conditions/actions possible!
Old 23 July 2017, 01:39   #200
Zener

Amiga cpu, the pc cpu can do everything nowadays
AdSense AdSense