English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 11 September 2019, 12:13   #81
john4p
Competition Moderator

I'm at level 27 like lifeschool. Stopped there as it seemed too stressful and I needed a break.
Old 11 September 2019, 12:57   #82
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4p View Post
I'm at level 27 like lifeschool. Stopped there as it seemed too stressful and I needed a break.
If it helps I found level 27 pretty tough
Old 11 September 2019, 14:21   #83
capehorn

I took one look at level27 and thought "that's enough for one night!". I haven't dared to look at it again...
Old 11 September 2019, 15:51   #84
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Was curious and had a go during lunch break. Lost 15 lives just with levels 27, 28 & 29 (need more training for sure ).
Now I see what you mean with level 30... Think this level requires further analysis and a careful thought (maybe more than some of the previous ones ...) but I have only 14 lives left... Aïe...
Will see tonight.
Old 11 September 2019, 18:31   #85
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
If it helps I found level 27 pretty tough
Not really, coming from the developer that's actually rather discouraging.
Old 11 September 2019, 18:50   #86
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

From a challenge/puzzle perspective, level 30 is easy.
From a realisation perspective it's almost impossible : Escaping the first two blue blobs is a pixel thing (it is of the same type as the "perfect" of level 11). Therefore I think this level is not well designed because missing a perfect is one point, but knowing that, for a pixel story, you will loose all your lives and be "game over" is another.
Unless my technique is not the right one, of course...
Old 11 September 2019, 21:27   #87
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Malko: mmm, I'm pretty sure it's not. Solving level 30 reliably does not require pixel perfect percision (like at all). So my advice would be to think it over

*edit: btw I think I know what you are trying to do. I've seen this solution in hip's longplay video. Personally I cannot do it (and I've tried to) as it indeeed requires pixel perfect percision. However there are other solutions that are extremely easier to perform. Technically (and from an action/reflexes perspective) level 30 is one of the easiest levels. But puzzle wise it's a tough nut to crack.

Last edited by Tsak; 11 September 2019 at 21:46.
Old 11 September 2019, 22:39   #88
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

PS : I don't watch video solution. I think by myself

Here is what I am trying to do : First I let the blue blobs follow me from the top, then from the bottom. Both times I get killed as one of them is able to follow me after the wall.

I only succeeded twice in letting both of them on the other side of the wall (this is the reason why I say it requires pixel precision at the start of the run when they see me).

Just let me know if another solution exists (but don't show/explain it please) and I will search for it. Actually, regarding how the walls open/close, I haven't figured another route.

Old 11 September 2019, 22:44   #89
alpine9000

@malko - as Tsak said, if you know how to do it, level 30 require almost no “arcade” skills and is pretty much 100% risk free.

When I first did it, it took me something like 45 minutes to crack the solution.
Old 11 September 2019, 22:58   #90
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Think I have it.
But I have to start again, I have no life left
Old 11 September 2019, 23:13   #91
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
I don't watch video solution. I think by myself
yup, I know
It's just that what you were describing sounded familiar. And seeing your gif now I guessed correctly (about the method you were trying to do).

Just a rule of thumb, whenever you come across a solution that either requires luck or extreme, pixel perfect percision, it's guaranteed that there are other much safer solutions to be found.
Old 12 September 2019, 01:18   #92
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
[...] Unless my technique is not the right one, of course...
Definitively this one. Level 30 "perfected"
Old 12 September 2019, 01:29   #93
capehorn

Full credit to whoever designed level 30. It's an absolute corker! There's nothing like that feeling of finally completing it after over an hour of thinking that it must be impossible
Old 12 September 2019, 01:34   #94
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
Full credit to whoever designed level 30. It's an absolute corker!
Pretty much all level design was done by Task. I had some minor input on a few levels to tweak difficulty.

A funny bit of trivia, originally level 30 was slightly different and when I went away and solved it, my solution was different to the one tsak had originally envisioned, so there were at least two "safe" ways to solve it. After that tsak tweaked the level and actually made it slightly easier I think, can't remember if this made one of our solutions no longer applicable however.
Old 12 September 2019, 01:38   #95
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

56'122
Old 12 September 2019, 01:55   #96
capehorn

Quote:
Pretty much all level design was done by Task. I had some minor input on a few levels to tweak difficulty.

A funny bit of trivia, originally level 30 was slightly different and when I went away and solved it, my solution was different to the one tsak had originally envisioned, so there were at least two "safe" ways to solve it. After that tsak tweaked the level and actually made it slightly easier I think, can't remember if this made one of our solutions no longer applicable however.

There are still at least two ways. I just checked the longplay and Hipoonio's method is different to mine (and much faster)

Edit: Aah, I see this has already been referenced earlier. Using my method I only have 5 seconds remaining.
Old 12 September 2019, 01:59   #97
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
There are still at least two ways. I just checked the longplay and Hipoonio's method is different to mine (and much faster)
I seem to recall that Hipoonio’s method might have involved a bit of luck? But I might be confusing it with another level.
Old 12 September 2019, 02:48   #98
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
I seem to recall that Hipoonio’s method might have involved a bit of luck? But I might be confusing it with another level.
Well, you do need to be nearly pixel perfect as Malko mentioned. This gives you a massive time bonus but it's indeed an almost impossible task (at least for average gamers like me).
Kudos to Hipoonios (and Malko) for finding and pulling this off anyhow.

In general I think that the fact that super risky (and high reward) solutions do exist with many levels, adds to the depth and longevity of the meta-game with Worthy. This reminds me of classic titles (especially in consoles and arcades) where people are still finding exploits to beat score records and climb up the leaderboards.

Quote:
Nope, the tweak I did just added a couple more solutions to the mix. Our original methods are still applicable.
Old 12 September 2019, 19:55   #99
john4p
Competition Moderator

After pausing four days now tried level 27 and it wasn't as hard as it looked at first.

Truly brilliant level design by John.
Old 12 September 2019, 20:04   #100
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

John, where you able to "perfect" it ?