English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 19 March 2012, 06:28   #1
brolly

Creating bootable ADFs

It's been a few years since I last played around with editing startup files and my memory is a bit fuzzy so I could use some help with this.
I'm putting together a Amiga rom set to work with Hyperspin and especially some of the PD games I need to grab them from aminet in non-ADF form.

For example, I'm trying to convert the Ready Robot Ed disks to ADF (http://aminet.net/misc/kids/r9401ami.lzh). This game seems to require WB, and if I run them with the WB disk on df0 and create and ADF with the lzh content (using adfview) and put it on df1 then I can start the game just fine through WB.
But since this is to be run through a frontend I need the game to start automatically, so if I remember it right I can create a User-Startup file inside the S folder of the WB disk and tell it to run the game executable. This is where I'm missing something since I'm not sure what to write there as I can't get the game to boot, I tried df1:JAN94, but game doesn't start. If anyone could have a look at that lzh file contents and give me a hand I'd appreciate it. I know I've done this before, but like I said it has been some years and I'm probably missing something obvious here.

A better option would be to create a standalone bootable adf version of the game, but not sure if this would be possible.
Old 19 March 2012, 06:37   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Try in startup-sequence file:
loadwb (special character - square - copy it from other startup-sequence file) jan94 (square again)
Square = end of line.
Old 19 March 2012, 07:23   #3
brolly

In which Startup-Sequence file? I'm booting from the WB disk so I can't delete it's Startup-Sequence contents or it won't boot.
Or are you telling me to forget the WB disk and try to boot from a single adf and if so where would I put the WB since it's not on my disk.
Old 19 March 2012, 07:30   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes - loadWB AmigaDOS command + Workbench.library) was quite small only taking a fraction of an Amiga 880 kB 3.5" floppy disc or other medium. Workbench.library in its first versions even occupied no space on system floppy discs, because it was part of the system ROM. Starting from 2.0 it became a shared library in Libs: and could be replaced by third-party GUIs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workbench_%28AmigaOS%29
Old 19 March 2012, 08:06   #5
brolly

Thanks, this is new to me never did it that way. Are you telling me I don't need Workbench?
Could you please give me a better step by step description of what exactly I should do? That info was a bit vague for me to understand what must be done.
I suppose I need to find that workbench.library file and put it somewhere on my adf file (Inside the Libs dir?).
Old 19 March 2012, 08:47   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

With newer versions of Kickstart workbench.library was included in ROM so you don't need it on floppy disc but I don't know which other library this game need to work.

Old 19 March 2012, 12:50   #7
thomas

Here is a working ADF:
Attached Files
File Type: zip r9401ami.zip (516.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 19 March 2012, 14:14   #8
brolly

Thank you Thomas, if I want to convert more games to ADF can I just reuse the files you put on C/L/Libs or will that be game dependent?
How did you figure the startup command btw? That was probably one of my mistakes as I was simply trying to run JAN94 on the command line and not PROJ2 JAN94.
Old 19 March 2012, 14:16   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

You can see error 121 in CLI so JAN94 is not executable file. If you edit this file with Notepad header is "FILM" and that requested PROJ2.
Old 19 March 2012, 15:42   #10
thomas

Quote:
That was probably one of my mistakes as I was simply trying to run JAN94 on the command line and not PROJ2 JAN94.
On Workbench select the JAN94 icon and select "Workbench -> Info" (WB 1.3) or "Icon -> Inormation" (WB 2.0 or higher) from the menu. You will see that the icon is of type "Project" and that it points to the default tool "proj2". Type Project means that it cannot run by itself but needs another program to open it and the default tool is this other program.

The files in C, L, Libs etc. are game dependant. I don't even know if these files are needed by JAN94, I just followed the instructions shown in the icon.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jan94.png
Views:	412
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	30954  
Old 20 March 2012, 07:04   #11
brolly

Didn't even notice that info on the icon, silly me. Thanks a lot, just tested with a few more disks and it's working perfectly.

I was now trying to run Muscarine on a standalone hdf (http://aminet.net/game/role/Muscarine.lha), this game is to be run from HDD as it won't fit a floppy disk anyway.
So I made a hdf file with it and can start it just fine from both the workbench GUI and the shell.
What would be the best option to make the hdf auto-bootable, it's easy to do it with whdload games, but for standalone games I don't know if there's a way to do it or if I need to include the workbench install on that hdf and edit it's user-startup file. The last option works fine, but will of course take up a lot of unnecessary space as I need to include the whole WB install.
Old 20 March 2012, 11:08   #12
thomas

The approach is the same as for ADFs: install the game to an empty HDF and add startup files as needed. The major difficulty is to find out which startup files are needed (in addition to s/startup-sequence) if the game doesn't tell you (like the JAN94 icon).

Note that you are not allowed to distribute installations which contain files from Workbench. Even the ADF I attached above is not fully legal and may not be redistributed (strictly speaking).
Old 20 March 2012, 14:23   #13
brolly

Yeah finding the required startup files seems to be the hard part, there's no info on this one so it will be hard to figure it. These files are usually on the C,L and Libs folders from the workbench install I suppose?
I might end up installing WB on the disk and just edit user-startup to launch the game.
Old 20 March 2012, 16:58   #14
thomas

If you want to save space you can make two HDFs. One HDF with Workbench which is used for all games and the other HDF with the specific game. Given that the game's HDF is mounted as DH1, you can put something like this into the Workbench's s/startup-sequence:

Code:
if exists dh1:s/game-startup
   execute dh1:s/game-startup
endif
This will start the game automatically on boot up. You only need to make the game-startup script for each game and store it into the game's S directory.
Old 20 March 2012, 17:39   #15
brolly

Interesting, I'll definitely try that never thought about executing a startup script directly, clever idea, that will be a pretty good solution. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

I need to read a bit more again about AmigaDOS commands to refresh my memory
Old 22 March 2012, 06:19   #16
brolly

Thomas, just wanted to thank you again, tried your suggestion and worked like a charm, thanks for the idea.