English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 May 2020, 13:16   #1
eXeler0

Feasability of a GFX daughter board for 1260 cards..

Howdy,

With some new 1260 cards in development (warp 1260 and TF1260) it's maybe not too far fetched to start wondering about a modified design that could host a GFX daughter board (or even integrate the "GPU" on the same board. Now, there's not a lot of physical space left in the 1200 box after inserting a 060 card so if a unified design was possible.. However, design and cost wise, its maybe better to do a daughter board that could even work with several different card designs?

First of all, the chips used in e.g. Blizzard Vision are old Permedia 2 chips and designing something around those would likely impose a bunch of unnecessary limitations. Also, I have no idea if these chips are easy to scout these days..
...Enter the MNT Spartan FPGA graphics card.. Its already a very streamlined design and not even expensive.

So.. what would be "best practice" to add a daughterboard with the MNT graphics to a 1260 board design. Could a custom adapter that shrinks down the Zorro II/III connector be applied on the 1260 side? (Or other redesign of the MNT design to get around this connector size issue)
Or is it indeed better to integrate everything on the same card.. (Warp 1260 already has some Audio stuff)
Ideas? Thoughts? I think that if it could be pulled of, it would be an attractive option for many 1200 owners?
Old 16 May 2020, 14:01   #2
roondar

I seem to recall the Warp 1260 was going to get HDMI out so that would be a fairly logical candidate. Or am I mistaken here?
Old 16 May 2020, 16:52   #3
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I seem to recall the Warp 1260 was going to get HDMI out so that would be a fairly logical candidate. Or am I mistaken here?
Seems you're right, now that I googled it again, seems quite a few news have come out just the last few days regarding the Warp 1260.
https://amitopia.com/new-68060-accelerator-is-ready/
..this fairly fresh article (3 days old) states the onboard ARM CPU somehow delivers 1080p output. Could of course be something used in mobile devices where the graphics processors is practically always built in. (can't tell what ARM part is used here) But then there is probably not a lot of support (drivers) for Amiga OS so maybe some generic display driver supports this at the most basic level. Still cool.

Anyway as for a generic graphics daughter board, it would be a nice product others could support on whatever card design they'd do for A1200. "Universal" Mini-Zorro III connector? ;-)
Old 16 May 2020, 17:27   #4
roondar

Yeah, that would be nice
Old 17 May 2020, 22:43   #5
eXeler0

Googled some more, about the Warp 1260. Seems to use a ARM STM32H7/53
https://www.st.com/en/microcontrolle...h7-series.html

It uses the Chrome-Art graphics accelerator (built in). Very basic for an "accelerators" but it gets the 2d job done well enough:
https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resou...stem_DMA2D.pdf

I have to say, good design choice by the team. Though I still don't know how the software support will be done. I'm guessing it will somehow use Picasso 96 although not sure if it goes under some "generic mode"..
Old 18 May 2020, 06:44   #6
PurpleMelbourne

STM32H series is pretty cool. Fast ARM32 RISC processor and many other useful functions if it can be interfaced to the Amiga as a DMA controller.
The ChromeArt accelerator should be adequate for WorkBench type activities and playing Doom type stuff too.

The chip has a 16 bit "FMC" (Flexible Memory Connection) which you can get to do all sorts of things. Interleaving that high speed bus to a slower speed 32 bit bus would have it talking nicely to the Amiga memory as a DMA controller. Perhaps a DMA controller in a small FPGA taking the 16 bits in, buffering it, and outputting 32 bits half the speed will make a great co-processor which should be adopted across all Amiga's.

The 400MHz RISC processor has DSP functions and sounds like a better choice of DSP than the AT&T used in the AA3000+

I decided to use the STM32H755 instead of H750 because additionally it has dual core (480+209MHz) and also a crypto engine.
Old 18 May 2020, 21:24   #7
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMelbourne View Post
STM32H series is pretty cool. Fast ARM32 RISC processor and many other useful functions if it can be interfaced to the Amiga as a DMA controller.
The ChromeArt accelerator should be adequate for WorkBench type activities and playing Doom type stuff too.

The chip has a 16 bit "FMC" (Flexible Memory Connection) which you can get to do all sorts of things. Interleaving that high speed bus to a slower speed 32 bit bus would have it talking nicely to the Amiga memory as a DMA controller. Perhaps a DMA controller in a small FPGA taking the 16 bits in, buffering it, and outputting 32 bits half the speed will make a great co-processor which should be adopted across all Amiga's.

The 400MHz RISC processor has DSP functions and sounds like a better choice of DSP than the AT&T used in the AA3000+

I decided to use the STM32H755 instead of H750 because additionally it has dual core (480+209MHz) and also a crypto engine.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but were you involved in the design of the Warp 1260?