English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 05 March 2020, 11:05   #1
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 676
Thursday blues

Been feeling really burnt out of late. Just can't be arsed. Sat in the cave last night staring at the collection for an hour without turning anything on then just went to bed.

I was going to write a full post of woes, in fact I did write it then delete it cause that's my problem and not yours.

So many great ideas floating around my head and naff all energy to get things done.

Not even sure what the point of this thread is. Maybe just to get it off my chest a bit...
Glen M is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 11:08   #2
chip
Amiga Demoscene Archive !
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Italy
Age: 45
Posts: 1,635
I usually do a long walking when there are too many things in my mind


Just to put things in better order
chip is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 11:20   #3
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I usually do a long walking when there are too many things in my mind


Just to put things in better order
I normally play golf but the weather has been all over the place of late and I haven't been out. Hoping to get 9 in tomorrow afternoon though. Maybe that's all I need, a bit of fresh air!
Glen M is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 11:21   #4
Daedalus
Registered User

Daedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dublin, then Glasgow
Posts: 4,741
Yeah, I hear ya. It's especially tough when you have very little time free to do things after the day job, getting kids to bed etc., and then have a huge list of things you need to do, a separate huge list of things you want to do, and no energy to do any of it so you end up moving a mouse pointer around an empty desktop a few times before calling it a night.

Best bet is to not even bother for a few days - crack open a new box set on Netflix/Prime/whatever and work through that instead (The Expanse / Halt & Catch Fire / Fleabag / Peaky Blinders / The Let Down / Love-Hate / Fresh Meat are some recommendations). The urge will return naturally at some point and you'll be back in the mancave again
Daedalus is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 12:00   #5
sparhawk
Registered User

sparhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Essen/Germany
Age: 51
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
So many great ideas floating around my head and naff all energy to get things done.

Glad that I'm not the only one with this feeling. I have so many ideas what I want to do. When I'm out with the dogs, or at work, I would like to try all the ideas that are floating in my head. And when I finally have a little bit of time, then I sit there and can't be bothered much.


I'm glad enough that I managed at least to work on my library, but to be honest, what I wanted to do was a game. But there is so much work involved, when starting from scratch, that I always have to do some other stuff which I will need and I have the feeling that my actual goal (a game) is not really going forward and I'm just procrastinating.
sparhawk is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 14:09   #6
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
Glad that I'm not the only one with this feeling. I have so many ideas what I want to do. When I'm out with the dogs, or at work, I would like to try all the ideas that are floating in my head. And when I finally have a little bit of time, then I sit there and can't be bothered much.


I'm glad enough that I managed at least to work on my library, but to be honest, what I wanted to do was a game. But there is so much work involved, when starting from scratch, that I always have to do some other stuff which I will need and I have the feeling that my actual goal (a game) is not really going forward and I'm just procrastinating.
Currently I'm tossing around ideas of building a full arcade cabinet to house my arcade stick. Building a C64 power supply but properly and not just a usb charger in a box, need to do some learning first. Building a C64 mechanical keyboard (because reasons), plus I want to get back into coding (still done nothing about it).

I want to make a few videos on some recent Amiga stuff and I've got a C64 keyboard to repair plus 2 more boards but averaging 100 views per video I'm starting to wonder whats the point. One of my main reasons for youtube though is it forces me to do stuff.

I went and bought a 20" 4:3 dell monitor last night (biggest one I could find for sensible price) so I'll maybe make a start into the arcade cabinet design. Long term project though not rushing, still 10 months to Amiga Ireland 2021

Topping that off in work I have to spend the afternoon writing a response to a contractor who claims he is in delay because I won't approve his attempt to change my lighting specification. "Just provide whats named on the drawing and everyone will be happy" how do I write that professionally....
Glen M is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 14:10   #7
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, I hear ya. It's especially tough when you have very little time free to do things after the day job, getting kids to bed etc., and then have a huge list of things you need to do, a separate huge list of things you want to do, and no energy to do any of it so you end up moving a mouse pointer around an empty desktop a few times before calling it a night.

Best bet is to not even bother for a few days - crack open a new box set on Netflix/Prime/whatever and work through that instead (The Expanse / Halt & Catch Fire / Fleabag / Peaky Blinders / The Let Down / Love-Hate / Fresh Meat are some recommendations). The urge will return naturally at some point and you'll be back in the mancave again
I have been meaning to start the new series of altered carbon so might take up your advice with a beer or 2 later.
Glen M is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 16:32   #8
sparhawk
Registered User

sparhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Essen/Germany
Age: 51
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
but averaging 100 views per video I'm starting to wonder whats the point. One of my main reasons for youtube though is it forces me to do stuff.

LOL! Same for me, just on github instead of youtube. I recently noticed that I have three followers, so it seems there is at least SOMEBODY interested in what I'm doing, which gives a little incentive to keep going.
sparhawk is offline  
Old 05 March 2020, 18:52   #9
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hometree, Pandora
Age: 47
Posts: 2,960
I have those days... and they come and go.

Lately I've been so busy that I just don't have time to feel anything... and 1-2 Melatonin pills help get to sleep / stop brain from overloading at night...

Usually if I have some extra time, I would play some game (currently still playing Far Cry Primal and/or lots of chess, mainly while I am waiting for different things kids do)...

I loved first season of Altered Carbon, will have to find time to watch new season. I listened book few years back. (tried new library app for android at the time)

I have 2-3 projects with some old hardware, RPI I have not start in a while,... just don't feel starting anything new atm.
Anubis is offline  
Old 07 March 2020, 12:15   #10
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful
Muzkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earthrealm
Age: 39
Posts: 1,332
Motivation is hard to come by. In particular when a busy working life sucks you dry, leaving you with very little energy come hobby and recreation time.

My only advice is to muster up the will, courage, and determination to just start. Just make a start to whatever you wish to do. Then see if you can gather some momentum.

It may sound cliché, but starting is the hardest step.
Muzkat is offline  
Old 07 March 2020, 23:45   #11
DDNI
Targ Explorer

DDNI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Ireland
Age: 46
Posts: 5,257
Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Glen, what’s needed is an Amiga Belfast meet in June. That’ll motivate us.
DDNI is offline  
Old 09 March 2020, 22:15   #12
E-Penguin
Banana

E-Penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Darmstadt
Posts: 941
There's definitely something in the air (other than covid-19). Today I cycled into a bollard and broke my toe.
E-Penguin is offline  
Old 10 March 2020, 00:25   #13
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump
SquawkBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: France
Age: 46
Posts: 156
Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
  1. Keep your hands busy, grab a pen, even if you have nothing to write about, a paintbrush, even if you have not much to draw
  2. Give a listen to Amiga remix compilation albums ("Instant Remedy", or so title says)
  3. Reduce your exposure to TV advertisement, creativity has gone awry, it's mostly attempts to induce all kind of fears in the mind (cf. neuromarketing), contemporary TV ads are the worst kind IMHO, plain awful. Same with weather forecasts, to a lesser extend.
  4. Sell some of the stuff you managed to collect all through the years, selling is breathing
  5. Ask yourself what Rahan would have done in a similar situation (hint : Sometimes uses his cutlass as a pendulum before choosing a direction)

Last edited by SquawkBox; 10 March 2020 at 06:08.
SquawkBox is online now  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blues Brothers questions jotd Retrogaming General Discussion 9 15 June 2019 21:39
BPPC + BVision old blues. Cowcat support.Hardware 0 28 April 2014 19:46
WarpOS MiniGL blues. Cowcat Coders. General 16 22 February 2014 18:44
Floppy Blues Dave_wb support.Hardware 2 13 January 2008 12:26
A4000 blues..... Heavyweight7t6 support.Hardware 6 06 June 2005 17:21

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08735 seconds with 13 queries