English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 01 April 2020, 08:50   #41
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Seems like a nifty little HDMI enabled device... Just between us, after their move to take down ROM sites, anything done to tease or marginalize Nintendo HQ, even indirectly, has my approval! Just curious though, can the SNES (or NES mini) mini do smooth scrolling and animation for every MAME / fba game ? I assume its somehow limited horsepower may prevent it from running properly a few 3D (Killer Instinct I & II, Sega M3 games...) and post 2000s games.
Generally speaking, who among you here is in need of his weekly dose of classic Doom ? The reason I am asking is that I found out recently that one could play mostly faithful versions of N64 Doom or PSX Doom from a low-spec PC (both ports use the GZDoom engine). I had tried various source ports a while ago, Vanilla, Chocolate or whatever Doom, and they didn't belong to the professional-standard of console ports IMHO (maybe, I didn't try nearly enough of these). Especially noticeable is the lack of work on complex shadows handling, or so it seemed by then.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 01 April 2020 at 14:34.
Old 03 April 2020, 21:35   #42
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Last week I decided to redo my batocera setup.

Since I have an old HP laptop that we paid 200 bucks (my daughter's school laptop back in day, 2.16GHz Intel Celeron M2840 (2 cores) with 2GB memory and 32GB internal flash drive. So I downloaded new batocera version 5.25, installed it on flash disk, then used Ubuntu memory stick to copy flash disk to internal drive.

Once done, just had to reboot computer and it worked like a charm. I removed free roms and placed just few roms to test emulation and just as with older core, everything up to PS1, including PS1 works great. Saturn emulation is working, but this CPU and intel graphics are not sufficient for any good emulation. (you get couple of frames per second).

Once I registered screen scrapper account, and scrapped games I installed, I was blown away how awesome whole things looked. I also changed screensaver to be movies instead of just DIM and that turned whole thing into something incredible.

My setup looks very similar to this...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 April 2020, 00:06   #43
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

Used to Emulate on PC a few years ago, now i just use a Playstation Classic Mini to play most systems on.
I still use Winuae but usually just to copy games etc across to my Amigas CF card.

PS1
Snes
Megadrive

Gameboy
Gameboy Colour
Gameboy Advance
Atari Lynx
Old 08 April 2020, 08:38   #44
chip
Amiga Demoscene Archive !

And after Atari ST, just added the console section

Also Mega Drive and Super Nintendo are emulated now

Really cool, especially the music
Old 08 April 2020, 13:14   #45
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Last night took some time to start importing my LaunchBox setup on main gaming pc. So far I imported just couple of system, and here is what it looks like.

I find that I am more likely to play any of the games if I don't import everything, but rather only games that I am more likely to play.

BTW, on PC LaunchBox is a way to go, together with RetroArch, but it can be built to work with any other emulators, with many options. Only thing that I am missing is Screenscrapper as an option for screen/movies scrapping.
Old 08 April 2020, 14:46   #46
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I find that I am more likely to play any of the games if I don't import everything, but rather only games that I am more likely to play.
This is what I do too, and don't really get the whole massive collection setups that a lot of people have. It's not like it's a particular achievement as it might be for physical copies, and you'll never play any of them in the depth they deserve... My Dolphin setup mostly contains games I already own physical copies of, and just a few more that I played on friends' machines back in the day. It's even the same with Amiga games - sure, you can have every classic Amiga game on an 8GB CF card, but other than scrolling past 99% of them in iGame, are you realistically going to spend any serious time getting to know them all?

I also have pretty much every version of every SNES game on a couple of CDs that I acquired many years ago. I used to have them all on my hard drive, but these days I don't bother, even though they take up negligible space these days. I probably have around 15 or 20 games installed, and they're the ones that get the attention.

Back in the day, when you had to save up for a game (console or Amiga), it was an investment and you tended to spend a lot of time learning the game to get your money's worth. Lots of games do need at least some investment of time to get into, so having hundreds or even thousands to choose from for a casual half hour here and there is never going to work well.
Old 08 April 2020, 17:16   #47
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Also, some games have differences with the Amiga version, to varying degrees. For instance, I remember that Nitro on the ST has pedestrians and traffic (other cars, besides the competitors, that can hinder you.
I totally forgot about that. I wonder why they weren't in the Amiga version? Possibly because they realised they were shit ideas!

Completely agree with the above comments about ridiculously large game collections. Much better off just having a few select roms/disk images that you really enjoy playing.
Old 19 April 2020, 20:01   #48
chip

Perhaps it's the period

I added other systems to the emulation list : C64, Atari 8 Bit, Master System, Nintendo

Now the total amount of systems emulated is 8

Really have no idea when i will see the stuff i collected for ALL these systems

Anyway emulation is a fantastic thing
Old 19 April 2020, 23:13   #49
Pyromania

8088, just kidding. MAME comes to mind and is a lot of fun.
Old 20 April 2020, 16:13   #50
chip

Hey, nice suggest

Never thinked about MAME

How about the musics anyway

Indeed i like to listen to the sound of emulated systems and for ALL the 8 platforms i know what to do

But for MAME ?

What it exist about MAME music ?
Old 20 April 2020, 16:22   #51
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Neo Geo, PC ENgine (Turbo Graph), FM Towns (by itself, but adventure are better emulated in ScummVM) just to name few. Nintendo GBA is a lots of fun.

And if you are emulating 8 bit, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum and BBC B are all worth emulation.

Last edited by Anubis; 20 April 2020 at 16:41.
Old 20 April 2020, 16:34   #52
chip

Thanks Anubis

But a part of me think that's enough about emulation

When i will find the time to see at what i got actually ?
Old 20 April 2020, 16:40   #53
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Is it even interesting? I generally find the music of arcade games limited compared to console and home computer ports. Graphically and speed wise the console version usually blows everything away, but the music? No.
Old 20 April 2020, 17:12   #54
chip

Well, better this way then

I love console and home computer musics indeed
Old 20 April 2020, 17:54   #55
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Is it even interesting? I generally find the music of arcade games limited compared to console and home computer ports. Graphically and speed wise the console version usually blows everything away, but the music? No.
Huh? There's about a zillion arcade games with outstanding music and no console/micro port. Those with ports aren't always worse either.

Regarding emulation, I used to emulate anything that a) was below PS2-gen and b) I could display on my CRT...so most of the Retropie systems for example.

But then I've got the real hardware bug recently and it's taking its toll. At first I thought I'll only have the real machines for a bit and sell them on, but now it doesn't seem likely. They are very addictive and using them is (positively) intoxicating.

Still, I keep my emus too of course because they have many perks over the real hardware too, eg you can get RGB easier for some platforms, use savestates, etc...
Old 20 April 2020, 19:22   #56
Biscuit
Baked Produce

It's just dawned on me how long it's been since I emulated anything other than Amiga. Years. Used to do a bit of C64 and DOS. Occasionally SNES and tinkered with some text adventures on TRS-80 and a couple of other micros. Other than Amiga I'm mostly playing modern games now. Though I still sometimes play on a real PS1.
Old 21 April 2020, 11:43   #57
chip

I emulate Amiga since 2002

Occasionally i emulated other systems (C64/Mega Drive/Super Nintendo)

Only NOW i taken really in consideration all other systems

I prefer home computers sincerely since exist the demo scene too

But also trying the games for the consoles is really cool

I mean, it's ALL free, just setup the emulator and go on
Old 21 April 2020, 23:42   #58
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Thanks Anubis

But a part of me think that's enough about emulation

When i will find the time to see at what i got actually ?
You can do what I usually do. Have emulators set and ready, go through some old magazine, such C+VG, and find interesting list, like this one from March 1984.

Then you get some of those games and you try them.

I found that I really like MSX1 and MSX2 games as they seem to have better conversions then we did with C64/ZX Spectrum. So, having MSX in list also i good thing to check.
Old 22 April 2020, 03:22   #59
chip

WOW, another computer to add to the list

Seriously, i knew Spectrum but not MSX

Well, i got your point, but it's not the way i proceed

Indeed i do exactly the contrary, i like to see ALL, even crap

There's a reason, the music

You never know where you can find a music which you like it

So, the demo / game could be bad but the music cool for example
Old 24 April 2020, 10:39   #60
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Quote:
Indeed i like to listen to the sound of emulated systems and for ALL the 8 platforms i know what to do
But for MAME ?
Just found out about this relatively new MAME project called VGMRips. What are VGM files, you may ask yourself ?
Quote:
VGM (Video Game Music) is a sample-accurate sound logging format for many machines and sound chips. It logs the commands sent to the sound chips, so the resulting files are much smaller than mp3s.
The normal extension is .vgm but file can also be gzip compressed into .vgz files.
The format has a long history, it started as a way to log Sega Master System music, and later more and more chips were added to its list, and today it supports dozens of chips and has features such as compression and tagging.
So basically, VGM files can be compared to Amiga mod files or to Atari ym files in terms of reduced size and accuracy. First arcade track I chose to play during my tryout was the legendary Outrun ~ Magical Sound Shower, sound fidelity is top notch! I tried a few others of course, a great listening experience overall. To play these from your computer, you could either get the standalone player (very basic command line player) or setup the Winamp plugin, grab either software from here. Here is the repository for VGM packs ordered by system, or you could opt for the top viewed packs approach. Here is XMPlay playing Out Run's Magical Sound Shower after the suitable VGM plugin has been installed on my system :

@Anubis : MSX2 section of VGMRips is well stocked .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 24 April 2020 at 12:20.