English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 23 December 2019, 07:55   #1
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Question Microsoft Windows Store

So I used Uninstaller from iobit to remove many MS apps that I don't use, this included the MS Store app.

So I wanted to try out the Ultimate Game Pass and see about trying to play a few games on the PC side.

Of course signing up was easy and taking my card info and all of that, but I couldn't load the Store properly outside of a web browser.

So I did some Googling and found a few things to try including reinstalling it and all Windows 10 APPS that come pre-installed.

This didn't work, seems to have made things worse.

I even went to my WS machine and had the same results.

So on 2 Windows 10 Pro machines the store will not load properly or if it does I can't install any of the games without generating an error code.

The error code is generic and seems to indicate a reset of reinstall of the Store app is in order but this isn't working either.

Any ideas or thoughts ?
jmmijo is offline  
Old 23 December 2019, 19:24   #2
Pyromania
Moderator

Pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,446
Hopefully someone can help you. I avoid the Windows Store and that solution works for me.
Pyromania is offline  
Old 23 December 2019, 19:35   #3
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Hopefully someone can help you. I avoid the Windows Store and that solution works for me.
I does for me, but the Xbox Pass Unlimited allows you to use it for both the console and PC games so I wanted to see what it was about.

The first month is only $1.00 (USD) and 2 months free then it is $14.99 per month.

I wanted to see what it was about and play some games that have been poached by EPIC.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 23 December 2019, 21:11   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Derby, UK
Age: 42
Posts: 2,212
Supposedly doing an in-place upgrade of windows with the same version will reinstall the store and all the other crappy apps.

You can find pretty much any version of windows 10 at uupdump.ml
Ian is offline  
Old 23 December 2019, 21:40   #5
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Supposedly doing an in-place upgrade of windows with the same version will reinstall the store and all the other crappy apps.

You can find pretty much any version of windows 10 at uupdump.ml
Thanks Ian, strange that the CLI reinstall didn't work, it actually made it worse, now trying to install a Windows Store app/game causes a no file association error message
jmmijo is offline  
Old 23 December 2019, 22:24   #6
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Paul_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amigaville
Age: 42
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Supposedly doing an in-place upgrade of windows with the same version will reinstall the store and all the other crappy apps.

You can find pretty much any version of windows 10 at uupdump.ml
HeiDoc's download tool is great also (OS and Office amongst others): https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool


Regarding the Win10 Store... ugh, disabling or attempting to remove it can have unforeseen effects with Sysprep and god knows what else.
Seemingly a lot of interlinking with services/apps/programs going on in Win10.
Paul_s is offline  
Old 23 December 2019, 23:11   #7
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
HeiDoc's download tool is great also (OS and Office amongst others): https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool


Regarding the Win10 Store... ugh, disabling or attempting to remove it can have unforeseen effects with Sysprep and god knows what else.
Seemingly a lot of interlinking with services/apps/programs going on in Win10.
Yes that does seem to be the case, I just wanted to try out some games that are still not on Steam due to EPIC poaching and the pricing seems to be food right now.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 24 December 2019, 17:45   #8
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hometree, Pandora
Age: 47
Posts: 2,960
If updating windows is not fixing it, there is probability that your firewall is blocking store.

What version of Windows are you on?

I know that Game Pass require upgraded version and couple other hot fixes.

It is strange that I play more game pass games than Steam, where I have close to 2.5K games.
Anubis is offline  
Old 24 December 2019, 19:23   #9
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
If updating windows is not fixing it, there is probability that your firewall is blocking store.

What version of Windows are you on?

I know that Game Pass require upgraded version and couple other hot fixes.

It is strange that I play more game pass games than Steam, where I have close to 2.5K games.
It's not a question of the app being blocked of just of running.

I've not had a chance to do an in place repair yet.

Both machines are running on build 1903.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 04:05   #10
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hometree, Pandora
Age: 47
Posts: 2,960
You can download November update, and that should fix all uninstalled MS shit.

Otherwise, step by step getting all dependencies that got uninstalled is also possible, but will probably take too much time to do.
Anubis is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 04:07   #11
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
You can download November update, and that should fix all uninstalled MS shit.

Otherwise, step by step getting all dependencies that got uninstalled is also possible, but will probably take too much time to do.
I'm allocating some time to my gaming rig to insall the November 1909 update, I will keep everyone posted.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 04:57   #12
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
And update complete, the store I can still logon onto with a web browser but now the Windows Store can't locate my device, in this case the same computer I signed i with to get the PASS setup.

I think I'm really hosed on this one, man Steam is so much simpler.
jmmijo is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 05:35   #13
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
I also tried downloading the Xbox App for Windows 10 which is in BETA but that will not install either.

I think Lord Gaben has taken over my computer and will not allow such intrusions onto the machine
jmmijo is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 05:39   #14
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hometree, Pandora
Age: 47
Posts: 2,960
Go to

settings >> system >> storage

Click on 'Select where new content is saved'

Select location for games and try again to install game.
Anubis is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 05:59   #15
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Go to

settings >> system >> storage

Click on 'Select where new content is saved'

Select location for games and try again to install game.
Tried that not working due to not being able to install the Xbox App on Windows 10, again I blame Lord Gaben
jmmijo is offline  
Old 25 December 2019, 19:32   #16
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hometree, Pandora
Age: 47
Posts: 2,960
right...
Anubis is offline  
Old 26 December 2019, 19:20   #17
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump
SquawkBox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: France
Age: 46
Posts: 156
Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Should unwanted native Windows 10 apps be wiped out ? Ideally, my guess is they should be "unregistered". Anyway, have you tried a full reset ? Tutorial here :
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Proceed to full reset (there is an option to keep your files), then remove unwanted apps with O&O App Buster (it's the sames guys behind ShutUp10). What's cool considering your issue is that it will allow you to
Quote:
Reinstall accidentally deleted apps
or so it says.
SquawkBox is offline  
Old 26 December 2019, 22:26   #18
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Should unwanted native Windows 10 apps be wiped out ? Ideally, my guess is they should be "unregistered". Anyway, have you tried a full reset ? Tutorial here :
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

Proceed to full reset (there is an option to keep your files), then remove unwanted apps with O&O App Buster (it's the sames guys behind ShutUp10). What's cool considering your issue is that it will allow you to
or so it says.
I'll make note of this and see what happens, thanks
jmmijo is offline  
Old 27 December 2019, 15:46   #19
Fissuras
Old Luny

Fissuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Brazil
Age: 50
Posts: 568
I am having a lot of fun with Xbox Game Pass on PC, as there are a lot of games already available (Like Gears 5).
Unfortunatly it seems to encrypt the downloaded files and that is a little messy. After one or two full reinstalls I decided to let it be and to do not mess with original windows installation.
Fissuras is offline  
Old 29 January 2020, 07:56   #20
jmmijo
Junior Member
jmmijo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: PDX
Age: 58
Posts: 2,378
Update

Since I could not get anything working with the Windows Store and that the Xbox PC App didn't install and work I decided to try the RESET PC function under Windows 10.

There is an option to keep your files but it will uninstall all the apps and do a reset on the OS/System files.

This seems to have resolved the issue and now I can load the Xbox PC app and actually download games properly via the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

I really think this was all related to using the IObit Uninstaller app on most of the MS apps.
jmmijo is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disabling go.microsoft.com/DirectX ? thellier support.WinUAE 10 03 June 2015 16:16
Re: HOL for Microsoft Windows captainxod HOL suggestions and feedback 20 24 November 2009 01:14
Honk if you love Microsoft Windows Pyromania MarketPlace 17 28 August 2003 22:10
The future of games : By Microsoft Shatterhand Retrogaming General Discussion 20 08 March 2002 17:43
Walmart VS. Microsoft? APFelon Retrogaming General Discussion 22 25 February 2002 08:04

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09364 seconds with 13 queries