English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 22 May 2020, 11:23   #1
Washac
Junior Member
Washac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: UK Southern End
Posts: 668
Question Setting up an Amiga on MiSTer

While I await for all my MiSTer parts required to arrive I am looking to learn
which files I need to run an Amiga WB with WHDload on a MiSTer and how to
set it all up on the SD Card, also looking to use ADFs if this is possible.

I have searched through YouTube only to find many Videos for beginners which
I find leave much to the imagination and leave me thinking but he mentioned
that I needed that file or create that directory etc etc etc.

So as to avoid any more confusion with this the SD Card would be for Amiga use
and nothing else.

Last edited by Washac; 22 May 2020 at 11:31.
Washac is offline  
Old 22 May 2020, 12:27   #2
dreadnought
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ur, Atlantis
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
I have searched through YouTube only to find many Videos for beginners which
I find leave much to the imagination and leave me thinking but he mentioned
that I needed that file or create that directory etc etc etc.
The "go watch this video" angle is a true modern malady. It might work well for hardware topics but having to watch some shaky cam footage of a bloke rambling on while putzing around his desktop is a real downer for me. Especially seeing as most of these "guides" could work million times better as half-page written explanations.

I've just ordered mine and am also interested. MiSTer wiki is of course rather brief on the subject They don't mention whdload, just hdfs. I hope it works anyway (though hdfs aren't bad either).
dreadnought is offline  
Old 22 May 2020, 13:27   #3
Fastdruid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 144
Right, organisation of mine. \ means it's a directory, .\means its a file in the directory above.


\
.\menu.rbf ("Core" core)
.\MiSTer (Config)
.\MiSTer.ini (Config)
.\KICK.ROM (1.3 Kickstart rom renamed, not entirely sure if need this here)

\_Amiga (Directory containing core)
.\Minimig_20200205.rbf (Minimig Core)

\config
.\Minimig_gamma.cfg (created by the config menu)
.\Minimig_scaler.cfg (created by the config menu)
.\minimig1.cfg (created by the config menu)
.\minimit2.cfg (created by the config menu)

\config\inputs
.\Minimig_input_0583_2050_v3.map (created by the config menu)
.\input_0583_2050_v3.map (created by the config menu)

\games
\games\Amiga
\games\Amiga\Games (Games starting A)
\games\Amiga\Games\A (Games starting A)
\games\Amiga\Games\B (Games starting B)
\games\Amiga\Games\... (All the other letters etc)
\games\Amiga\Games\... (All the other letters etc)
\games\Amiga\Games\... (All the other letters etc)
\games\Amiga\Games\Z (Games starting Z)
\games\Amiga\Games\0-9 (Games starting 0-9)

\games\Amiga\Hardfiles (Directory for Hard drive images)
.\System.hbf (Workbench Hardfile)

games\Amiga\Workbench (Workbench adf files)
.\aros-20130502-boot.adf (Bootable AROS image)

\ROMS (Directory for ROM's, I also have them in the "root" folder but I think this is where they live)
.\KICK.ROM (1.3 Kickstart rom renamed)
.\Kickstart_v1.3.rom (1.3 Kickstart)
Fastdruid is offline  
Old 22 May 2020, 13:50   #4
Washac
Junior Member
Washac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: UK Southern End
Posts: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastdruid View Post
Right, organisation of mine. \ means it's a directory, .\means its a file in the directory above.


\
.\menu.rbf ("Core" core)
.\MiSTer (Config)
.\MiSTer.ini (Config)
.\KICK.ROM (1.3 Kickstart rom renamed, not entirely sure if need this here)

\_Amiga (Directory containing core)
.\Minimig_20200205.rbf (Minimig Core)

\config
.\Minimig_gamma.cfg (created by the config menu)
.\Minimig_scaler.cfg (created by the config menu)
.\minimig1.cfg (created by the config menu)
.\minimit2.cfg (created by the config menu)

\config\inputs
.\Minimig_input_0583_2050_v3.map (created by the config menu)
.\input_0583_2050_v3.map (created by the config menu)

\games
\games\Amiga
\games\Amiga\Games (Games starting A)
\games\Amiga\Games\A (Games starting A)
\games\Amiga\Games\B (Games starting B)
\games\Amiga\Games\... (All the other letters etc)
\games\Amiga\Games\... (All the other letters etc)
\games\Amiga\Games\... (All the other letters etc)
\games\Amiga\Games\Z (Games starting Z)
\games\Amiga\Games\0-9 (Games starting 0-9)

\games\Amiga\Hardfiles (Directory for Hard drive images)
.\System.hbf (Workbench Hardfile)

games\Amiga\Workbench (Workbench adf files)
.\aros-20130502-boot.adf (Bootable AROS image)

\ROMS (Directory for ROM's, I also have them in the "root" folder but I think this is where they live)
.\KICK.ROM (1.3 Kickstart rom renamed)
.\Kickstart_v1.3.rom (1.3 Kickstart)
Thanks for this, I assume this is for ADF files as I see no mention of WHDload, but I do not mind using ADFs
Washac is offline  
Old 22 May 2020, 14:01   #5
dreadnought
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Ur, Atlantis
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
I do not mind using ADFs
There was a time I thought so too Then I tried to play King Of Chicago / Beneath A Steel Sky / any-bigger-Amiga-game and I quickly got a CF solution for my real Amiga.

Hdfs are quite similar to whd, but I don't think they have all the extra fixes and bonus features.
dreadnought is offline  
Old 22 May 2020, 14:40   #6
Fastdruid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Thanks for this, I assume this is for ADF files as I see no mention of WHDload, but I do not mind using ADFs
I'm messing about with actual Amiga hardware atm hence I hadn't had a chance to finish it but WHDLoad would be a hard drive image in the Hardfiles directory. I planned to get a fully working one on CF (actually two, one for ECS, one for AGA) and duplicate it in rather than mess about with multiple different versions or have multiple hardfiles for each game.

ADF's are ok for single disk games...but they're rather a pain for anything that takes multiple disks and having a menu with all the games is _way_ easier.
Fastdruid is offline  
Old 24 May 2020, 23:16   #7
abbub
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Fort Collins, CO USA
Posts: 37
I just got my MiSTer stuff last week and finally have gotten around to setting up the Amiga this weekend.

I found an emulator running on my main laptop was invaluable for getting software onto the hdf while I was working to get networking support added. Having a smaller 100 MB hdf that I could pass back and forth between the software emulator (which could read my download directory and copy lha files) and the fpga was a big help. Now that I have the ppp network up and running, I just move files from my PC to the MiSTer's linux host via FTP, and then FTP from the Amiga to the linux host and pull them onto the fpga machine.

I installed the MiSTer software itself from a script that someone had written for macOS, and it basically just set up all of the directories for me, so all I had to do (for organizations sake) was create adf, hdf, and archives folders in the /media/fat/games/amiga directory it created for me.
abbub is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MiSTer I/O Boards Plus Washac support.Hardware 18 25 May 2020 21:21
Special MiSTer Amiga build MickGyver Hardware mods 23 04 May 2020 15:35
MiSTer: FPGA Amiga + loads more MickGyver Amiga scene 70 16 January 2020 20:52
amiga Core Mister and AR3 field3d support.Other 0 10 February 2019 05:21
Amiga 600 FPGA (MiSTer) Conversion intric8 Amiga scene 10 16 July 2018 19:10

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.08436 seconds with 15 queries