English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 17 May 2020, 12:24   #1
BarryB
Amigaholic

A1200 Early Startup Control vs CPU to disable caches!

This is using WinUAE 4.2.1

What's the difference between using the A1200's 'Early Startup Control > Boot Options... > Disable CPU Caches' as opposed to using the cli command 'CPU nocache'?

I found an interesting issue with a game called Mousetrap! If I run it on the standard A1200 config in WinUAE the graphics are screwed up! if I use the A1200 Early Startup Control and use the 'Disable CPU Caches' option and boot, the game has no screwed up graphics!

However, if I add 'CPU nocache' as the first line of the startup-sequence and copy the CPU command to the ADF then boot, it doesn't work, graphics are still srcewed up?

So what is the difference? What does disabling the cpu caches in the Early Startup Control do that disabling via the CPU command doesn't?
Old 17 May 2020, 20:17   #2
Nobby_UK

I would guess CPU (with that command)
does not disable ALL caches (Burst) but Early StartUp does ?
Old 17 May 2020, 20:59   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
I would guess CPU (with that command)
does not disable ALL caches (Burst) but Early StartUp does ?
That's contradicting what the AmigaDOS manual says about the CPU command: NOCACHE | Turns off all caches.

And besides, I think the 68020 in the A1200 only has 1 cache, a 256 byte instruction cache, so maybe the CPU command isn't disabling the cache at all?

So I noticed there is something really strange going on with the Early Startup!! If I go into the Early Startup and boot with no startup-sequence then type in 'mousetrap' and hit enter, the game loads without screwed up graphics? The CPU command says the Instruction Cache is ENABLED? Just what the hell is going on here? Why does booting with no startup-sequence suddenly make the game work and suggests it's nothing to do with cpu caches at all?

Last edited by BarryB; 17 May 2020 at 21:20.
Old 17 May 2020, 21:22   #4
BarryB
Amigaholic

See my post above yours, was still testing when you replied!
Old 17 May 2020, 21:27   #5
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Here's what my emulated 1200 looks like to SysInfo
With CPU NoCache and without it and with Startup Disable:
Uhm, Burst shouldn't be enabled.

Try this on a real A1200 instead for real figures.
Old 18 May 2020, 02:36   #6
Nobby_UK

Could not get it to Jump --- So useless

Going to try the WHD-load version

#Edit#
That works...

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 18 May 2020 at 02:42.
Old 18 May 2020, 08:54   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
This is using WinUAE 4.2.1
That alone says it all : it has absolutely nothing to do with caches. As Winuae does not emulate 68020 caches.
It looks like merely calling the early startup control is enough. Perhaps the game needs some initial screen setup.
Old 18 May 2020, 10:46   #8
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

What else do you have in your startup-sequence? Could be something related to AGA screen modes/registers.
Old 18 May 2020, 11:20   #9
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Perhaps the game needs some initial screen setup.
This.
Game disable copper DMA and then setup chipset registers for the display with CPU.
Unfortunately it 'forgets' to set some that KS>3.0 has changed the way of use (in particular BLPxMODs).
Just by chance some BPLxMOD/FMODE combos make the screen configuration good on AGA..

There is really a need for a game fix? It's quite simple, if you want I can do it.
Old 18 May 2020, 11:32   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
That alone says it all : it has absolutely nothing to do with caches. As Winuae does not emulate 68020 caches.
It looks like merely calling the early startup control is enough. Perhaps the game needs some initial screen setup.
Yes, I don't have my A1200 setup so have to use WinUAE, took the opportunity to update to 4.3.0 though! But, as I found out it doesn't appear to be a cache issue anyway, so does disabling caches stop them being used on the host CPU? The other question is, just WHAT is Early Startup doing that allows the game to work as just going into it and clicking 'Boot' without adjusting anything gets the game working, I just don't understand what Early Startup is doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
What else do you have in your startup-sequence? Could be something related to AGA screen modes/registers.
This is what is in the original startup-sequence:

echo "MOUSETRAP is loading..."
echo "V1.0"
mousetrap

So nothing that would screw it up, but just doesn't work unless you go into Early startup and boot from there? Even tried using 'killaga' to run the mousetrap program but still screws up the graphics? Ah well, it's Amiga, so what do you expect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
This.
Game disable copper DMA and then setup chipset registers for the display with CPU.
Unfortunately it 'forgets' to set some that KS>3.0 has changed the way of use (in particular BLPxMODs).
Just by chance some BPLxMOD/FMODE combos make the screen configuration good on AGA..

There is really a need for a game fix? It's quite simple, if you want I can do it.
You posted while I was still replying So like meynaf said, it does some initialising that booting normally doesn't do then? It's the same issue on A500+/A600 but no Early Startup on them, if you want to fix it please do, ADF in the Zone

Last edited by BarryB; 18 May 2020 at 11:45.
Old 18 May 2020, 12:36   #11
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Yes, I don't have my A1200 setup so have to use WinUAE, took the opportunity to update to 4.3.0 though! But, as I found out it doesn't appear to be a cache issue anyway, so does disabling caches stop them being used on the host CPU?
Disabling caches on the emulated machine has absolutely no effect on the host cpu's caches. This would only slow it down to a crawl anyway.

Quote:
The other question is, just WHAT is Early Startup doing that allows the game to work as just going into it and clicking 'Boot' without adjusting anything gets the game working, I just don't understand what Early Startup is doing?
It is displaying something, i.e. doing some proper initialization of the display hardware.

Quote:
It's the same issue on A500+/A600 but no Early Startup on them
Unless my memory betrays me, A600 has kick 2.05 and thus it does have Early Startup Control.
Old 18 May 2020, 13:06   #12
Fastdruid

A500+ has Early Startup Control, although no cache option, it's merely an option where to boot from.
Old 18 May 2020, 13:33   #13
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
meynaf: Disabling caches on the emulated machine has absolutely no effect on the host cpu's caches. This would only slow it down to a crawl anyway.
OK, if WinUAE has no cache emulation (I just read a post where Toni says it would actually slow emulation down) I guess any cache issues just won't show up in WinUAE?
Quote:
meynaf: It is displaying something, i.e. doing some proper initialization of the display hardware.
Yeah, strange that it doesn't do this 'initialising' when you first power on the A1200 and have to go into the Early Startup!
Quote:
meynaf: Unless my memory betrays me, A600 has kick 2.05 and thus it does have Early Startup Control.
Yes, A500+ and A600 have a some form of the A1200 Early Startup but going into them still won't allow Mousetrap to work like it does on the A1200! So as ross explained, it's doing some setup that just happens to let this game run!
Old 18 May 2020, 14:32   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
OK, if WinUAE has no cache emulation (I just read a post where Toni says it would actually slow emulation down) I guess any cache issues just won't show up in WinUAE?
That depends why caches had to be disabled at first place. If it's because it makes the cpu too fast, then issues can show up in winuae too.

Quote:
Yeah, strange that it doesn't do this 'initialising' when you first power on the A1200 and have to go into the Early Startup!
I see no reason to do this explicitly : any correctly made screen setup is enough.
Old 18 May 2020, 18:27   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

68020 cache is emulated in more accurate modes. ("more compatible" must be ticked and also memory cycle-exact to emulate chipset DMA slowing down CPU memory accesses). Even 68040+ caches are emulated but it is mainly meant for making (for example) self-modifying code work mostly identically on real hardware and emulation.

Even if 68020 internal timing is unknown (can't be perfect and there is still lots of work to do), it can make a huge difference in speed when system is chip ram only.
Old 18 May 2020, 19:33   #16
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
.. if you want to fix it please do, ADF in the Zone
Ok, I'll take a look.
Old 18 May 2020, 20:15   #17
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
68020 cache is emulated in more accurate modes. ("more compatible" must be ticked and also memory cycle-exact to emulate chipset DMA slowing down CPU memory accesses). Even 68040+ caches are emulated but it is mainly meant for making (for example) self-modifying code work mostly identically on real hardware and emulation.

Even if 68020 internal timing is unknown (can't be perfect and there is still lots of work to do), it can make a huge difference in speed when system is chip ram only.
I always use Cycle Exact and have the slider all the way to to the left on Best Compatibility in Quickstart, nice to know the 68020 cache is emulated with those settings, thanks Toni!

Quote:
Ok, I'll take a look.
When you get a moment ross, no rush!
Old 19 May 2020, 16:24   #18
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Done.

To make things a little more interesting I added a trainer, fixed the display glitches and packed the game into a single file.

Attached. Yes, 71.6 KB for the full game
Works in every Amiga (tested in different configurations and processors with WinUAE).

Joy button/spacebar to start game, mouse button to start in trainer mode.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: 68k mousetrap.68k (71.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 19 May 2020, 17:37   #19
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Confirmed working on my 060 1200 - nice work
Old 19 May 2020, 19:40   #20
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Done.

To make things a little more interesting I added a trainer, fixed the display glitches and packed the game into a single file.

Attached. Yes, 71.6 KB for the full game
Works in every Amiga (tested in different configurations and processors with WinUAE).

Joy button/spacebar to start game, mouse button to start in trainer mode.

Cheers.
Single filed, trained and works on ALL cpu's, that's just freakin' AWESOME, thanks

So what packer did you use?