English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 15 May 2020, 00:21   #61
jotd
This cat is no more

We should have the MP longplay banned from youtube seriously I bet the guy played with whdload & my slave to the final level and pressed "T" or "S" at the convenient moment to add 1 silver star when he got gold, so he could teleport.

I agree that with 4 credits for 27 levels it's very hard, specially because even on world 2 there are hard levels...

Quote:
No save feature or passwords either...
The fixed it in the US version which has level codes for each of the 27 levels, which now makes it too easy (except that the levelcode for the last level is useless...), almost like with savestates... I'll play with infinite credits. It's cheating, but not as cheating as savestates, and you have to redo the level anyway.
Old 15 May 2020, 11:38   #62
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I bet the guy played with whdload & my slave to the final level and pressed "T" or "S" at the convenient moment to add 1 silver star when he got gold, so he could teleport.
Maybe the best solution would be to send him a PM about that and hope that he remembers what he did:
http://eab.abime.net/member.php?u=62027
Old 15 May 2020, 12:57   #63
rabidgerry

AHHHHHHHHHHHH stupid question I know possibly coming up! But I deleted my NSTC version because A) I live in the UK and figured I would not be able to play that version since we have PAL over here. Should I have kept the NTSC version?

Also I recently updated my WHD load version to the latest one, it was then I saw the NSTC one and said to myself "what do I need that for?" ###delete###

Is it worth having this version after all?

Apologies I am reading this thread from the start. I am a fan of this game since the time I first saw it on Saturday morning tv back in the 90's when it was used for phone in competitions on the tv show Motormouth. Personally think it's an excellent game. Mind you all you guy's seem to be a lot better at than me! I have only ever got to th second level!!!
Old 15 May 2020, 13:26   #64
jotd
This cat is no more

Yeah the NTSC version is very useful:

- allows to play any level immediately thanks to level codes
- has different world 1 layout (very easy evel 1, original level 1 in level 3, original level 3 removed!)
- whdload install provides custom world 1 levels (I did this ), only works with the NTSC version
- it can be played in PAL, doesn't seem to change speed.

if you want to improve it's imperative that you read the manual and the hint file (in the whdload package, in bitmap-brothers.de site, read the thread again). Very deep game, that very few people understand and I can't blame them. I think it's too cerebral with the scoring system and specially when you have to fully understand all the mechanics to be able to complete the game (when most levels can be completed without any understanding at all)

Now with further thought I think that the author (Sean Griffiths) thought (wrongly) that people who reached world 3 and 4 totally mastered level 1 and 2 warps (teleport from a teleport room). But the bruteforce platform players did not ... and hit a wall at the last level
Old 15 May 2020, 14:59   #65
rabidgerry

Quote:
Yeah the NTSC version is very useful:

- allows to play any level immediately thanks to level codes
- has different world 1 layout (very easy evel 1, original level 1 in level 3, original level 3 removed!)
- whdload install provides custom world 1 levels (I did this ), only works with the NTSC version
- it can be played in PAL, doesn't seem to change speed.

if you want to improve it's imperative that you read the manual and the hint file (in the whdload package, in bitmap-brothers.de site, read the thread again). Very deep game, that very few people understand and I can't blame them. I think it's too cerebral with the scoring system and specially when you have to fully understand all the mechanics to be able to complete the game (when most levels can be completed without any understanding at all)

Now with further thought I think that the author (Sean Griffiths) thought (wrongly) that people who reached world 3 and 4 totally mastered level 1 and 2 warps (teleport from a teleport room). But the bruteforce platform players did not ... and hit a wall at the last level
Back in the 90's when I first played the game it took me so long to even figure out how to do the crazy jump/spin move. Cause I needed to generate the little tornado first. NSTC version I don't need to press down right?

Too many games going on right now but I am going to start Magic Pockets again. I will read the manual
Old 15 May 2020, 16:23   #66
jotd
This cat is no more

Yeah, forgot: NTSC doesn't need to pull down to trigger spin in levels 1 and 2. Levels 3 and 4 weapon is really weaker and you can't pull any spin there... makes the game pretty much hard at those levels. They really made it simpler for US citizens The PC version has the same easiest first levels too. Don't remember if down is needed for spin.

but IMHO the most annoying part is the jungle bit at level 2, when you have to grow plants. Dullest part ever! first level is okay, but further levels contain a lot of plant growing sections and of course not so many secret sections. The game would have been much better without the middle jungle levels.

Read the manual and game help located on http://www.bitmap-brothers.de/

Last edited by jotd; 15 May 2020 at 16:29.
Old 26 May 2020, 18:47   #67
rabidgerry

am I being a complete lunatic here or what? So I updated Magic Pockets to the v3.3 from WHD load website, but where is the NSTC version? I have an old NSTC version but I see no updated version of it on the site. The NSTC version I have is like 3.0. So how do I get the new version? When I booted the NSTC version in WINUAE I got a notification that there was an updated version available (which did not update when I clicked on it either).
Old 26 May 2020, 20:47   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

copy the file "MagicPockets.slave" to overwrite the one of the ntsc version. The "disk.1" file is the same
Old 27 May 2020, 11:57   #69
rabidgerry

Quote:
copy the file "MagicPockets.slave" to overwrite the one of the ntsc version. The "disk.1" file is the same
I did this but I renamed the slave within the NTSC folder to MagicPocketsNTSC.slave since the original one had that name. It worked

I like the US version better, it's A) easier B) Easier and C) easier

I don't get why it works on my TV though and all that stuff since I'm PAL? And PAL Amiga?

Another thing how do I utilize the WHD load tools like nocache, or NTSC?
Old 27 May 2020, 12:25   #70
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
I like the US version better, it's A) easier B) Easier and C) easier
yeah, specially the password system, and the first level which is more a tutorial for the various powerups & specials. But the whdload slave update allows to play any world (not any level, I couldn't figure it out and it may be tough to do, specially for the PAL levels)

If you don't start with NTSC tooltype, you'll notice that the music is strange. But the game seems to run at roughly the same speed.

NOCACHE, NTSC are set in the icon tooltypes or from command line / in a script: ex:

Code:
whdload magicpockets.slave preload ntsc
Old 27 May 2020, 15:08   #71
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
II don't get why it works on my TV though and all that stuff since I'm PAL? And PAL Amiga?
Your TV will support NTSC unless it's very old.

However, this is not the issue here. A PAL Amiga set to NTSC does NOT output NTSC. What it outputs is a 60hz PAL signal, commonly referred to as PAL60.
Old 27 May 2020, 16:01   #72
rabidgerry

Quote:
yeah, specially the password system, and the first level which is more a tutorial for the various powerups & specials. But the whdload slave update allows to play any world (not any level, I couldn't figure it out and it may be tough to do, specially for the PAL levels)

If you don't start with NTSC tooltype, you'll notice that the music is strange. But the game seems to run at roughly the same speed.

NOCACHE, NTSC are set in the icon tooltypes or from command line / in a script: ex:

Code:
whdload magicpockets.slave preload ntsc
I tried the Icon Tooltypes and it doesn't let me edit them from there. I believe this is a bug or something.

Other wise I could just go into the icon of the game (anygame that is) and right click, open info, hit tooltypes then add for example NOCACHE=1

So it is possible to edit tooltypes via command line? Ok to do this I go into the directory where my game icon is located yes?

so for me:

cd Storage_A:

Storage_A> cd Games_A-M_WHD/F/Fireforce

then from here type

whdload fireforce.slave NOCACHE NTSC

and this edits tooltypes yes? Or does it just load the game with those tooltypes selected (I picked that game randomly BTW)

Sorry I know this is off topic
Old 27 May 2020, 16:11   #73
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Or does it just load the game with those tooltypes selected (I picked that game randomly BTW)
Just for that instance it's being run.

You should always add "PRELOAD" too though, unless you like flickering whilst loading...
Old 27 May 2020, 16:30   #74
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Just for that instance it's being run.

You should always add "PRELOAD" too though, unless you like flickering whilst loading...
ok so what I typed was correct but will load the game with those options for that instance only ok got ya!

Well at least I figured that out

So I could type:

whdload fireforce.slave PRELOAD NOCACHE NTSC

Preload indeed seems to be a tooltype I have noticed on quite a few game icon/info tooltypes.

Shame I can't just edit tooltypes I don't really know what these tools are for anyway, reading the guide doesn't really explain when you might need some of these options and when not etc
Old 27 May 2020, 16:50   #75
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Shame I can't just edit tooltypes I don't really know what these tools are for anyway, reading the guide doesn't really explain when you might need some of these options and when not etc
Why can't you edit Tool Types? Has the "Write" protection bit been removed.

Just right-click on the <slave>.info file, select Icon --> Information and then add / delete / edit Tool Types.
Old 27 May 2020, 20:14   #76
rabidgerry

because of this.

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67996

and if I remove the information module from scalos as one of the guys tries I can edit the tooltypes and save them and remove them. Pretty bizarre. Reluctant to make it a permanent feature removing the module so put it back for now.
Old 27 May 2020, 21:04   #77
DamienD
disengaged

The only ClassicWB version I use is Lite so haven't seen this...

How about this for a work-around:
  • Edit the "<slave>.info" with the desired Tool Types.
  • Remove the "Write" protection bit on the "<slave>.info" afterwards.
Old 27 May 2020, 22:11   #78
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
The only ClassicWB version I use is Lite so haven't seen this...

How about this for a work-around:
  • Edit the "<slave>.info" with the desired Tool Types.
  • Remove the "Write" protection bit on the "<slave>.info" afterwards.
I will give this a bash right now in winuae using one of my hard drives.
Old 29 May 2020, 20:40   #79
Qbc

This thread brought so many nostalgia to me. Magic Pockets was favourite game of my childhood and I used to play this with my father when i was 4. I played this game on ms dos and we were not able to complete last level for many years. Of course i did not have manua? and rumors that game is not completable due to bad crack were popular even in my country in late 90s.. I remember my older brother who was telling that, and that his friend has this game on amiga and it is possible to finish it there.. Omg how i wished to have amiga back then... Some of you may have noticed that there is some collision bug. It is very hard to reproduce and I did it maybe two times in my life, i guess in jungle levels and in Cave levels. There is some kind of spin which allows you to fall to wrong part of map without monsters. When I was around 8-9 i tried to beat that crazy level and guess what...? Collision bug occurred somehow when I was fighting with bubble! I cannot recall all details of that, it was around 20 years ago and I was in hard shock when this happened... I was not sure if this was legit finish or some bug, but i remember that I was able to see some rooms with big cakes, and i think that I could enter exit from one room, later there was normal ending. Maybe it would be nice to take more interest on this collision bug? I know it happened on all ports of this
Old 29 May 2020, 23:01   #80
jotd
This cat is no more

yes, sometimes you can jump high enough (specially in worlds 1 & 2) to enter other levels or teleport places.

But if you do that you're stuck forever because the enemies & exit aren't activated.

Last time it occured to me was in level 2 of world 1 (the huge one). It was just a few weeks ago. I went through a wall when failling, missing the invisible trigger that activates enemies for other level parts (this is the only level that has triggers to activate enemies/bonuses because it's so huge).

I was in the room where the bike is except: no enemies (maybe no bike) and exit not working.

Yes there are fatal bugs in this game, but it's still damn cool.