English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 14 April 2020, 20:04   #1
BullyDog

This "Stay At Home" is getting old.

The US is hit the hardest on the Covid-19 crisis and lots of businesses and schools are still closed. When we go out in public to get groceries and medicine we were required to wear a face mask and supplies are limited (thanks to the hoarders).

After almost two months of stay in I'm going nuts and so is my sis. We got into it once too many times. No relief in sight.

So how's life with y'all?
Old 14 April 2020, 21:33   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

In CH we have a "semi"-stay at home. Meaning that almost everything is closed (school, non necessary shops/services) BUT people are allowed to go to work (if their working place is open) or to go shopping. With the kids at home, going to work is kind of impossible mission (and not all company will pay your salary if you don't work...)
The measure try to protect the elders, which "normally" MUST stay home, except that they do as they want and there is no fines... (fines are distributed only for people not following flagrantly the barrier measures - see below). So you can see elder on the streets and parents are "stuck" home with the kids...
The government insist with the "barrier measures" :

, so there is no general Covid-19 tests. Tests are only made at the hospitals and only on defined people (if the Dr think there is a possibility of covid-19).
It's impossible to find masks and alcoholic hand gel.
To this day +25'300 persons have been tested positive (don't forget that not everybody is tested - so this figure is, I bet, very below reality)... +1'100 persons died because of the covid-19. We are still in ascending phase.

Even if we find the time "long", yes, better to stay at home to try to stop this pandemia... And we still have the "DDWC" to help

As a side note : This easter week-end, just for my region alone, more than 500 fines have been distributed to people not following the "barrier measures"... I don't know how much they have to pay as they didn't mentioned it on the news (law mention that it can be up to CHF 5'000.-).
Old 14 April 2020, 22:47   #3
DamienD
disengaged

I've been meaning to ask you for a long time malko; what country is "CH"?

Edit: don't worry, I've Google'd the currency "CHF" and it's Switzerland... but why do you abbreviate to "CH" in your location?
Old 14 April 2020, 23:15   #4
ross
Per aspera ad astra

It is latin: Confoederatio Helvetica.
Helvetia (a female national personification of Switzerland) is the symbol of the Celtic people of the Helvetii.
Old 14 April 2020, 23:36   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

In summary: Originally, the people living in the region were called the "Helvetians". In the Middle Ages, some of these Helvetians allied themselves, giving rise to the first Confederation.
Therefore, the official and universal abbreviation for Switzerland is "CH" and simply means "Confoederatio Helvetica" in Latin (Latin was chosen as a neutral language, because there are 4 national languages - not to make people jealous) ("Confédération Helvétique" in FR - "Helvetic Confederation" in UK). These two "CH" letters should be found on all cars here (in addition to the region codes). I say "should" as it's not part of the license plate, but it is a sticker that people should put on their car close to the license plate (and since it is not very pretty, some people forget to stick it - even if technically we can get a fine if we cross the border without that sticker)
In ISO 3166-1 (alpha 3) it becomes "CHE".
A bit of history in UK

Edit: of course, latin was used, thus ross was faster
Old 15 April 2020, 01:42   #6
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
If people were not that reluctant to wash their hands on a regular basis, we wouldn't be in that awry situation. What's so hard about it ? The way I see it, huge success of hand sanitizing gel is correlated to the baffling avoidance of actual hand washing. Of course, using cheap soap makes cleaning up a chore. So, in short, get decent skin friendly soap (free of chemical additives) and use it good! Did you know that computer keyboards usually hold more germs that the toilet bowl ?
Old 15 April 2020, 02:46   #7
BullyDog

Yeah, I've heard about that.
Old 15 April 2020, 04:41   #8
SquawkBox

Some piece of advice expressed in song to disgruntled folks from Anglophone countries. To be taken with a pinch of salt, especially the palm tree humping thing .

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 April 2020, 06:34   #9
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Did you know that computer keyboards usually hold more germs that the toilet bowl ?
I'd much rather lick my keyboard than my toilet. I don't care if the toilet is cleaner (which I doubt).
Old 15 April 2020, 11:24   #10
nobody

I feel like everything is stuck, legs, hands etc. Plus i smoke. At least we managed to minimise the spread, for now.
Old 15 April 2020, 13:50   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I coexist peacefully with my partner and cat, but the house does feel a little bit like a prison (although I go out for a walk almost daily, restrictions in the Netherlands are not as tight as in other European countries). I have the freedom to go to the office, but I'd have to take public transportation which is more than an hour commute and there is almost nobody there anyway... We made some effort and transformed my gaming corner such that I can also put my work laptop there and have a more comfortable working area, I'm sure even after this mess I will be working from home more often - by choice.

The biggest challenge is working together from home, especially because it requires quite some videoconferencing and whatnot which disturbs the other party when you have to do it for too long. In that case we simply migrate to another floor of the house and maybe work in a little less comfort. It has made us quite efficient at working from home.

It's a psychological mess though. Normally I would choose to stay home a lot and play games all the time, now I'm basically doing it because I'm locked up and it just doesn't provide the same amount of enjoyment. On the flip side that does make me more inclined to study up on things instead of playing games. No matter what complaint I come up with, there is always a positive to it.
Old 15 April 2020, 19:17   #12
E-Penguin
Banana

I get to go to work because apparently flying interplanetary spacecraft is "essential". It's nice to get out of the house but it's lovely weather here at the moment and I'm stuck in the control room.

Also, Germany appears to have no toilet roll anywhere so I'm taking advantage of the ample supplies at work!
Old 15 April 2020, 19:29   #13
BullyDog

And take some to home right?
Old 15 April 2020, 19:29   #14
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
[...] Also, Germany appears to have no toilet roll anywhere so I'm taking advantage of the ample supplies at work!
Really ?
In my region, I buy the rolls @Li_l* or @Al_i* (these are DE shops) and they have plenty of them...

*the missing letter is a "d". Don't want to make free advertisement
Old 15 April 2020, 20:01   #15
SquawkBox

There are creative ways to use hoarded toilet paper rolls these days :

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 15 April 2020 at 21:19.
Old 15 April 2020, 20:58   #16
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyDog View Post
Yeah, I've heard about that.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8237431.html
Study doesn't imply that germs from computer and phone appliances are more harmful than the ones from the toilet (we're talking about normal toilet's bowl, not stained of course), just that they are way more numerous at the average user work place.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 16 April 2020 at 01:23.
Old 16 April 2020, 14:36   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I challenge that with office toilets though, sometimes I think I'm the only person on earth that actually uses a toilet brush. And I'm also pretty sure that all the dorks that don't feel like a man if they don't pee standing up are aiming for the walls.
Old 16 April 2020, 21:48   #18
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I challenge that with office toilets though, sometimes I think I'm the only person on earth that actually uses a toilet brush. And I'm also pretty sure that all the dorks that don't feel like a man if they don't pee standing up are aiming for the walls.
But how else can we draw outlines in the snow
Old 16 April 2020, 22:20   #19
BullyDog

They can actually hit the wall ??
Old 26 April 2020, 16:20   #20
SquawkBox

Famous U.S. folk singer has a message for you :

[ Show youtube player ]