English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 15 November 2019, 10:48   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Gotta love the Kinks!

Most of the classic (Klassic ?) Kinks albums have been remastered lately and expanded for the majority of them. That's a U.K. rock / folk band from the 60s & 70s that I never grow tired of listening. They were striving to chart more and they surely deserved bigger success, but apparently their management was not up the task. At one point, they were supposed to make a U.S. tour but it never happened (which gives them, may be, that unadulterated British flavor). They were visionaries IMHO, no other band could turn a joyful melody into a social commentary of that magnitude.
Lately, it's the brilliant (also aptly titled ?) Arthur ~ Fall and Decline of the British Empire that got the remastered treatment, result ?
It sounds better than ever (for me, that album has the edge over Village Green, their most revered lp) :

https://963jackfm.com/news/articles/...ing-this-week/

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ox-set-865213/

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 November 2019, 02:43   #2
SquawkBox

A couple more Kinks' songs, enjoy :

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 November 2019, 11:56   #3
clebin

Ah, my favourite band of all time! Good choice!

Quote:
They were striving to chart more and they surely deserved bigger success, but apparently their management was not up the task.
At the height of the British Invasion and the Kinks success, they were banned from playing America for 4 years. That stopped them from going onto the same success as the Beatles and Stones. Ray Davies responded by writing a couple of very uncommercial, intensely British albums like Village Green and Arthur. We would never have had those incredible albums without the ban, but they sold next to nothing at the time. The rest of the world was getting into flower power, and the Kinks were singing about sunsets and drinking cups of tea!

The other thing is that Ray Davies is kind of a difficult and contrary person and prone to self-sabotage. They were supposed to headline the first Glastonbury but pulled out on a whim. After signing a huge recording contract with RCA on the back of Lola being a hit on both sides of the Atlantic, they released another deeply uncommercial album, Muswell Hillbillies. Another of my favourite albums, but more career suicide really. They followed that with a bunch of odd concept albums.

Eventually they decided to go commercial again in the late 70s, making more American-style rock music with a sort of British quirk. It's not really a patch on the earlier stuff, but it's got enough humour and quirks to be enjoyable, and it made them a big name in the US until the mid 80s.

The flip-side is that if they were just straight-forward hit-makers they would never have made the unique music they did. There's such depth in Kinks songs - little characters studies and narrative, joy, anger, melancholy that put Ray Davies even above Lennon and McCartney in my opinion (but it's just an opinion!)
Old 21 November 2019, 14:07   #4
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Ray Davies is kind of a difficult and contrary person and prone to self-sabotage.
Probably the reason why their first bassist P. Quaife left the band in 1969. R. Davies was doing drugs all through the 60s I think, and he mentioned somewhere that this ballad did illustrate his state of mind because of the addiction :

[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
that put Ray Davies even above Lennon
J. Lennon took a more rock n' roll (in France, we would call it 'rockabilly') and socially aware approach from the moment he was not restrained by the British invasion band format anymore (probably used Yoko questionable demeanor as a Trojan horse to further expedite the break-up). That statement of yours is a bit bold, IMHO Working Class Hero, Cold Turkey, those two songs alone were never surpassed in their rawness and dark humour, but again different styles. Back to the Kinks career, Something Else lp has a Village Green feel before-time, a fine introduction for those would would like to get a glimpse of their musical genius.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGrniCrIHGg&list=PLa7DwXF9n16G2FfgGgYmiS8qPPq1jyzMH
Old 21 November 2019, 15:19   #5
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Probably the reason why their first bassist P. Quaife left the band in 1969. R. Davies was doing drugs all through the 60s I think, and he mentioned somewhere that this ballad did illustrate his state of mind because of the addiction :
I don't think he was that into drugs to be honest. He said that there was sex, drugs and rock n roll but not to the level of other bands of the period. Ray Davies married quite young and was jealous of his brother's freedom to go and party while he was stuck at home with a wife and young daughter - see the song "Two Sisters" which is a thinly veiled reference.

Pete Quaife didn't like the direction the band was taking away from the rockier You Really Got Me / All Day and All of the Night stuff to the wistful stuff on Village Green. I believe the two had a massive falling out when Pete changed the name of Days to "Daze" on a demo cassette.

Ray did have a bit of a breakdown around 1973, deliberately took an overdose of painkillers and took himself off to hospital still in his stage gear as 'Mr Flash', but I think that was more of short lived episode than a history of addiction.

Quote:
That statement of yours is a bit bold, IMHO Working Class Hero, Cold Turkey, those two songs alone were never surpassed in their rawness and dark humour, but again different styles. Back to the Kinks career, Something Else lp has a Village Green feel before-time, a fine introduction for those would would like to get a glimpse of their musical genius.
As I say, just an opinion. Music is subjective, different strokes for different folks and all that! For me, the Kinks have more depth and subtlety - the social commentary runs right through what they do, but it's not so overt. All of them great songwriters though, I know we can agree on that!
Old 27 November 2019, 06:19   #6
SquawkBox

There's not much to agree or to disagree about in this matter Monsieur, for years I have been listening to the Kinks music without any single person around me giving me the nod 'hey I am a fan too" (Lola and You Really Got Me excepted), same goes with Elvis Costello or John McLaughlin, virtually unknown musicians in France from folks in their 30s or 40s. I do greatly enjoy 'klassic' Kinks music (60s albums & early 70s, mostly) and personality because of what they are, not for what would of happened if such event had taken place in retrospect, if you see my point "how sad, if not for that stupid ban, they would have hit the big time in the USA"... Well it can be argued they weren't willing to put themselves in a good light abroad, so be it. Also, unlike the pack of friends we had gathered my bro and I during my youth, I find some of the early Beatles music much less enjoyable than early Kinks or Doors. It's a bit sad that they were sometimes relegated to Small Faces imitators, but fortunately Dave stayed close to Ray during all these decades as a guitarist and as a benevolent younger brother I assume. So yeah, it will soon turn a 60-year career period anniversary for that amazing British invasion band that didn't invade much, but who cares! As an aside, I have an enormous respect for The Rolling Stones but they did many commercial albums e.q. "Tatto You" during their career and killed right off the bat the Flower Power spirit with the infamous Altamont Concert in 1969 !

And now, to soothe feelings and cool emotions, two songs from the Village Green album, first one is the Kinks playing with a brass section @ the BBC in 1973, second one is entitled 'Starstruck' :

Code:
https://youtu.be/8sxnItL4O4c?t=1546

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 27 November 2019 at 12:23.
Old 27 November 2019, 13:21   #7
SquawkBox

Two songs from Muswell Hillbillies, their country / folk musicianship side was in full blossom at that time. Notice how that YT dude johnny zell did post the lyrics in a commentary for each song (probably did it for the whole album) :

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 November 2019, 12:59   #8
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
And now, to soothe feelings and cool emotions
No problem from my side at all mate! Sometimes the tone can come differently from what was intended in text, but I'm just happy that some else loves the band too.

Must share this great unreleased demo track from 1972. I'd been a Kinks fan for 20 years before I heard this and I didn't think there was anything left to discover, or nothing that good anyway. I had a carpenter round my house one day and this was playing on his radio! Really love this song.

Nobody's Fool:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 November 2019, 02:08   #9
SquawkBox

My turn to share something uncommon from them. It consists in an acoustic version of Waterloo Sunset performed live @ the BBC in 1994 . Since you seem to have been kollecting Kinks material for a long time, my guess is you've heard it before as that particular concert set is featured in the 5-disc BBC box. Since it was non-existent online, I on my own made the album art video and took it to YT, hope it won't get deleted anytime soon.

[ Show youtube player ]

Also, I never grow tired of listening to 'Johnny Thunder' :

[ Show youtube player ]

Same with 'Rosie, Won't You Please Come Home ?' :

[ Show youtube player ]

not to forget the early tune in their career 'I am on a Island', love it for its sheer eccentricity :

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 30 November 2019 at 03:56.