English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 01 June 2007, 22:03   #1
Bishmanrock

Making Your Own Games?

More for curiosity's sake - I like to tinker about with these sort of things.

Is it possible to create your own games for the Amiga? I use games in the loosest sense as I'll only basically be faffing about to see what can be done.

If it is possible, what software is available to me today that could allow to me to do this and how would I compile the completed 'game' into an Amiga disk?

I've searched the interweb/this forum/every other forum high and wide and there seems to be nothing at all. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places?

Any help appreciated!!

Old 01 June 2007, 23:33   #2
ant512

The Amiga was *the* computer to write games for back in the late 80s/early 90s. If a game wasn't written for the Amiga, the chances are the Amiga was involved at some point during its creation, be it the game's music (SoundTracker), graphics (DPaint) or cross-assembled code.

There are loads of ways to write Amiga games. First thing you need to do is get WinUAE set up on your PC with a hard disk file (a virtual hard disk) and an installation of Workbench (the Amiga GUI).

Next - what type of game do you want to write, and how capable are you at coding? This makes a big difference to the programs you'll need. At the most simplistic, there are point-and-click creation systems like SEUCK (shoot-em-ups), 3D Construction Kit (Castlemaster-esque games) and GRAC (graphic adventures). They're designed to produce one type of game.

Next up there are "real" programming languages designed for games. The two most popular are AMOS Pro and Blitz BASIC (or AmiBlitz as it is now known). They're not as fast as lower-level languages (though Blitz has an in-line assembler, which makes a huge difference), but they'll let you put a game together quickly.

After that, you'll need to start digging around for a C compiler or a 68000 assember and an awful lot of documentation.

Compiling a disk is fairly easy. Assume for a moment that you've written your game in Blitz, and it comes to around 500Kb in size. You would:

- Create a blank disk image in WinUAE (or get a blank disk if you've got a real Amiga);
- Format the disk;
- Open a CLI and type "install df0:"
- Create an "S" directory on the disk;
- Create a new text file in the S directory and call it "startup-sequence";
- In the new text file, put the text "MyGame" (where "MyGame" is the name of your game);
- Copy your game to the disk;
- Reboot.

The Amiga will automatically boot your disk and load the game. Simple! It gets more complicated if you use things like external fonts, libraries, or want to support AGA, but not much more - you just have to copy a few files across from the Workbench disks and add a few more commands to the startup script.
Old 02 June 2007, 00:02   #3
Bishmanrock

That is PERFECT! I'm not really very good at coding at the moment, but it's something I've fiddled around before and pick up fairly well. However, I'll try to lower level stuff first - just to get used to the whole prosess.

Well, hats off to you and a great big thank you. Can't believe I couldn't find this info anywhere else!

Old 02 June 2007, 04:58   #4
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

bah. the archimedes was the computer to write for. Why do you think Braben wrote Zarch (aka Virus) for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!
Old 02 June 2007, 12:05   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@captinxod,

probly because he took to long learning 68k ASM

I will never know how the hell he / they managed to get frontier in a 500k (or there abouts) size file! truely amazing.
Old 02 June 2007, 12:58   #6
Graham Humphrey

I personally use Blitz Basic. I remember buying a boxed, complete copy of v2.1 off Ebay almost 6 years ago now for about £3.50 (bargain). However the manual is about as useful as a solar-powered torch so you'll basically (pun most definitely intended) have to teach yourself.

How I learned most of it was to look at the example code, download source code for games and utilities off places like Aminet, and just experimented with it. It's one thing reading the code, it's another thing actually putting it into practice. Just by messing about with different commands and adapting routines for your own code, you learn a lot more by trying things out than you do by merely reading and running example code "as is". At least that's what I find anyway.
Old 02 June 2007, 23:58   #7
Bishmanrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
How I learned most of it was to look at the example code, download source code for games and utilities off places like Aminet, and just experimented with it.
I think the reason thats the best way to learn is because its also the most fun. Nothing better than fiddling around with numbers having no idea what they mean, then putting it to the test and seeing what you've messed up!

Old 03 June 2007, 00:17   #8
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishmanrock
I think the reason thats the best way to learn is because its also the most fun. Nothing better than fiddling around with numbers having no idea what they mean, then putting it to the test and seeing what you've messed up!
Heh, I think you're right. Also it's immensely rewarding when you do figure something out and you see it working. It is a lot of work, and it can be frustrating, but it is a lot of fun as well
Old 12 June 2007, 01:00   #9
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

I have made a few games/software with AMOS Pro...

Alutia's Jewels
Breaker
BLAIM!
Simple Art 2004
ABI Encoder & Decoder

... but I have only really sent them to 2 other people who have helped me in the past with AMOS stuff (code and extensions). I will upload them to Aminet in the next week or so.

Regards,
Lonewolf10
Old 14 June 2007, 13:47   #10
ant512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
However the manual is about as useful as a solar-powered torch so you'll basically (pun most definitely intended) have to teach yourself.
If you already know how to program, though, the Blitz manual is fantastic. Easily the best programming manual I've ever used. It's ring-bound so it'll sit open on the desk, and includes the keyboard raw key codes, list of system calls, a complete list of 68K asm commands and information about the Amiga's memory map and custom chips.
Old 10 August 2007, 17:23   #11
Huezo

Send a message via MSN to Huezo
C, C++ or Blitz?

I manage C and C++ quite ok, I am a Symbian programmer,
have made hundreds of .mod files,
nowadays I am making music with instruments on weekly basic,
I can draw well and render 3D.

- so what I am interested in Is it very hard to write and compile Amiga game code in C or C++?

Is this Blitz Basic thing good then?

-Huezo
Old 11 August 2007, 14:22   #12
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Huezo: C/C++ is almost as common on the Amiga as on Linux. The Amiga OS itself was written (reputedly) in C back in the days.

Examples of C packages I know about ATM: SAS/C, HiSoft C (is this alos C++?), StormC, Dice, GNU C (Though probably "only" v2.95 still, as there's not as many people porting to Amiga as there once was).

Some of these also supports C++ to a more or less satisfying degree.
Old 12 August 2007, 11:30   #13
Huezo

Send a message via MSN to Huezo
Ideal would be a working setup zipped.
Setting up the env is always the main challenge for me,
not producing the code.

I have not actually done much with Linux.
I use IDEs like VC6, CodeWarrior, Carbide (made on top of Eclipse I think)
I have scratched surface of gcc, but not much,
that was with Nokia N770 Linux device some test apps.

Well, assembler might be interesting too =)
I made some little proggies in school some years ago.

-Heikki
Old 12 August 2007, 12:34   #14
Graham Humphrey

There is a version of SAS C in the Zone, actually (courtesy of eLowar), maybe you'd like to give that a try?
Old 20 August 2007, 13:59   #15
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
Huezo: C/C++ is almost as common on the Amiga as on Linux. The Amiga OS itself was written (reputedly) in C back in the days.

Examples of C packages I know about ATM: SAS/C, HiSoft C (is this alos C++?), StormC, Dice, GNU C (Though probably "only" v2.95 still, as there's not as many people porting to Amiga as there once was).

AmigaOS was written in BCPL, which is a relative of C (both come from B) but even nastier IMHO.
Old 20 August 2007, 14:08   #16
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
AmigaOS was written in BCPL, which is a relative of C (both come from B) but even nastier IMHO.
Pretty sure it's the other way around, BCPL being a predecessor of B, and B being a predecessor of C. No clue about the AmigaOS bit.
Old 20 August 2007, 17:04   #17
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post

Actually, if you're on an emulator, you're better off using a cross-compiler. It will compile natively from Windows, Linux, or MacOSX and then run the executable on your emulator. This way you don't have to wait for the emulator to slowly recompile the compiler's execution as it will compile on the Intel or PowerPC instruction sets.

See http://www.zerohero.se/cross/os3.html and follow the directions.
Old 20 August 2007, 17:08   #18
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post

AmigaOS 1.3 and earlier were written in BCPL and Assembly but, starting at version 2.0 many parts of the OS (except for dos.library) were rewritten
in SAS C.
Old 20 August 2007, 17:21   #19
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Bishmanrock, if you want to make games straight away without any programming knowlege, download Backbone from Aminet (make sure you get the latest version, any patches for it or any extra files, just check it out).

You can mke your own platform games with it, it's all point and click, you create your graphis in Personal Paint or Deluxe Paint or something, import some mods and sound effects, lay it all out, it's easy to use and has a lot of features, but it's slightly buggy and the games don't run very fast compared to something that is coded from scratch.
Old 20 August 2007, 18:53   #20
Graham Humphrey

Also maybe you'd like to try Reality if you can find it (you can create Dizzy-type games and horizontally-scrolling shoot-em-ups with that, not sure if there is any way of creating other types of games), or SEUCK to create vertical shooters. They're both pretty limited but they do work and offer a good insight into game design if you've never tried that sort of thing before.