English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 07 February 2011, 03:58   #1
MethodGit

Who Framed Roger Rabbit issue

The issue being, mainly, that the version available at WHDownload does not crack the protection check. Three wrong answers (or three presses of Enter) dumps you back to the WB1.3 screen (it doesn't auto-quit back to your real WB).

Which is pretty strange, seeing as the slave does incorporate the Lockpick crack code. No doubt a hard-patched EXE would solve the problem.

Tested under the latest ClassicWB Full pack in WinUAE 2.3.0.
Old 07 February 2011, 04:20   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just tried the preinstalled version from WHDownload. The protection was removed properly, or is there a protection check after level 1?

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 February 2011 at 04:39.
Old 07 February 2011, 04:58   #3
MethodGit

There is indeed a protection check after Level 1. Twice I tried it and twice it brought up the protection screen instead of skipping it (which is what the Lockpick patch is meant to achieve). Strange. It can't all be dependent on exact memory positions or anything like that can it?
Old 07 February 2011, 16:38   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe Jotd didn't expected further protection checks after the first one. Write a bugreport on mantis then.
Old 07 February 2011, 18:04   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Does Lockipick Remove all protection checks? If so use the Lockpick Patched Disk to install the game or you plan on doing it yourself?

Also theres different versions of the game and I think some dont contain the ending - Not sure what version is on WHDownload
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37894

Edit : 1707 - 1.0 893.16 KB 2006-12-11 so not the version with the ending
Old 07 February 2011, 18:33   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Just uploaded a preinstalled version from rfasel75's fixed original with the working end scene into the Zone. Of course it doesn't fix further protection checks after level 1.

Edit: Do you have to change the disk after level 1? Maybe JOTD doesn't checked the second disk.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 07 February 2011 at 18:39.
Old 07 February 2011, 18:39   #7
MethodGit

As far as I can acertain - from testing three different revisions of the game (gathered from SPS, TOSEC and past contents of the Zone) - there is only the one protection check that pops up after the first driving section. The patch in Lockpick works only with the initial version (v1.0?) - presumably the one with the borked (lack of) ending - and is designed to skip the screen altogether. Which is an improvement on the WOW crack, which merely restricted the list of questions to a specific single one (though I'm not sure how it went and did that) so that you'd have to remember only one answer.

(On the subject of cracking, I've been trying as of this time to find the routine that calls the protection screen in the later two versions to determine if they can be cracked also.)
Old 07 February 2011, 18:46   #8
Retro1234
Phone Homer

@Method assuming you used v1.0 ran it through Lockpick and WHDload installed are all protection checks patched?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Edit: Do you have to change the disk after level 1? Maybe JOTD doesn't checked the second disk.
Dont realy know the game maybe Method can say? V1.2 might not work with the WHDload install or the problem is with all versions?
Old 07 February 2011, 18:48   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Check the Zone, there is v1.2 preinstalled. It works with the current slave. Not sure what happens after level 1, i hate this game.
Old 07 February 2011, 18:52   #10
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Check the Zone, there is v1.2 preinstalled. It works with the current slave. Not sure what happens after level 1, i hate this game.
Yeah ill check it out Thanks, It is quite a horid game but be nice to know if the WHDload install is 100%

Edit: I said 100% I meant works 100% without the crash at the end.
If the Copy protection can be patched then great

Last edited by Retro1234; 07 February 2011 at 19:39.
Old 08 February 2011, 11:25   #11
MethodGit

Quote:
It isn't cracked, and it won't be with the particular version used in what you uploaded as the protection data is stored in a different location (which I have yet to find) than what the Lockpick patch expects.

I should probs mention that I did already try the fixed version with the WHDLoad slave recently and got the same results.
Old 27 January 2012, 18:54   #12
mai

At least i have found 2 different scene releases, additional to the well known "WOW" crack.
Quote:
Who Framed Roger Rabbit v1.0 (1988)(Buena Vista)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr Far Side Software]
Who Framed Roger Rabbit v1.1 (1988)(Buena Vista)(Disk 1 of 2)[cr PNA]
...but i have no idea, if end part is working in one or both versions.

@mods: move post to suitable thread in TOSEC section:

post is rather not WHDLoad related

Last edited by mai; 09 September 2019 at 23:10.
Old 27 January 2012, 23:54   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
@mods: move post to suitable thread in TOSEC section:

post is rather not WHDLoad related
@mai, I've copied your post to the other thread. You can now edit them both as you wish.
Old 18 June 2019, 20:47   #14
Amigajay

Just found this problem trying to play through the game, crashes back to workbench screen after 1st level question, hack not working.
Old 18 June 2019, 21:02   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

I tried to crack the protection, but it's stupid: I'm unable to pass first level

If someone can create a WinUAE savestate (from floppies) just before/during the protection screen it will be easier for me.

The best protection of this game is the game itself. It's so hard & frustrating...
Old 13 July 2019, 01:14   #16
Radertified

This isn't a hard game at all. Easily completable. Heck, I played through it a few times right now just for testing different scenarios :P

I've uploaded to the zone a save state of the password screen directly after level 1. The password is "ELEVATOR". This is from the CAPS/SPS version since all ADFs that I can find are all patched to always use the password "SMITH".

This is the only protection in the game. There's no disk protection and there's no further manual checks.

I haven't looked at the Lockpick patch, but I patched it myself in about 1 minute (literally). Open the file "RogerRabbit" on disk 1 and at offset 567B, change from 18 to 14. This patch makes it so anything can be entered (even nothing at all). I've tested this patch and it's 100%. I've tested all scenarios (including both winning and losing on level 2), death screens, complete screens, etc. Everything works.

So if there's an updated WHDLoad slave, I guess I can test (under WinUAE) even though I'm not around that often.

----

EDIT:

Even though the title screens all say v1.0, I think the ADF versions might be different (anyone want to checksum the files on the disks to confirm?) since the manual protection screens are different to the IPF version. Also, the ADF versions have "LOADING ZONE" screens when loading. I don't recall the IPF having them. Seems like the IPF might be an earlier version?

Last edited by Radertified; 13 July 2019 at 01:20.
Old 29 April 2020, 17:28   #17
Radertified

Bump

I've reuploaded the save state. Password is "ELEVATOR" and is from the CAPS/SPS version.

As stated above, the ADF versions that are cracked seem to be different so might be worth supporting both SPS and ADF versions.

Also as I said above, the patch I outlined on the file "RogerRabbit" does work 100% so it just needs to be turned into a slave
Old 29 April 2020, 20:36   #18
jotd
This cat is no more

damn, I missed the first message! Okay, no problem I'm going to adapt that. It's just that I hate to have to be good at a game to be able to fix it properly.

My first reflex is to add a trainer/levelskip/whatever just to be able to pseudo-play the game. Levelskip could be an option here too.
Old 29 April 2020, 20:51   #19
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
damn, I missed the first message! Okay, no problem I'm going to adapt that. It's just that I hate to have to be good at a game to be able to fix it properly.

My first reflex is to add a trainer/levelskip/whatever just to be able to pseudo-play the game. Levelskip could be an option here too.
When you get it released, I'll test the slave using WinUAE
Old 25 June 2020, 01:03   #20
Diestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
Even though the title screens all say v1.0, I think the ADF versions might be different (anyone want to checksum the files on the disks to confirm?) since the manual protection screens are different to the IPF version. Also, the ADF versions have "LOADING ZONE" screens when loading. I don't recall the IPF having them. Seems like the IPF might be an earlier version?
I'm trying to figure this out. As far as I can tell, Buena Vista released the game unfinished for the C64 and Amiga, probably due to the upcoming Christmas season. Unfortunately, both the beta and the complete game have an intro screen stating V1.0. How can you tell them apart? The beta version carries the "LOADING ZONE" screen, and as soon as your game is over, it dumps you onto Workbench. The V1.0 IPF version is the complete one, though further versions were released.